Who to cruise with ?????

cruisinderek

My wife and I are looking to do a cruise to Europe but are a little intimadated by the different cruise lines in Europe. We have sailed with Princess and loved our trip but they dont really offer the itentary that we are looking for. The ports we would like to see are either Venice or Rome and then a cruise that heads to Egypt. I know that Princess and RCL do off a few cruises a year that offer those but they are pricy. I found MSC and Costa that seem to offer them more often and for a better price. How do these cruiselines compare to Princess??? Will we have an issue with the language barrier ?? Is there other things to take into consideration with these cruiselines that we would not think of on a cruiseline based in the US ?? HELP !!!!! Any input you have would be great. :confused:

My wife and I are looking to do a cruise to Europe but are a little intimadated by the different cruise lines in Europe. We have sailed with Princess and loved our trip but they dont really offer the itentary that we are looking for. The ports we would like to see are either Venice or Rome and then a cruise that heads to Egypt. I know that Princess and RCL do off a few cruises a year that offer those but they are pricy. I found MSC and Costa that seem to offer them more often and for a better price. How do these cruiselines compare to Princess??? Will we have an issue with the language barrier ?? Is there other things to take into consideration with these cruiselines that we would not think of on a cruiseline based in the US ?? HELP !!!!! Any input you have would be great. :confused:

We have cruised both MSC and Costa. Language will not be a barrier. English is spoken by most people you will be dealing with. In comparison, I think you will find them quite comparable. I think (not certain though) that their onboard currency is the Euro, not US dollars as compared to US based cruise lines. If you would like to discuss in depth, you will find an email link in my Italian Trains site listed in my sig line.

I am going to ask you to trust me on this one...I have done about 30 cruises on 7 different cruise lines including several in Europe on three different cruise lines--Princess, Celebrity and Oceania...

Here's my advice for you...

Look seriously at Celebrity...IMHO, BETTER than Princess...and a lot better than Costa or MSC...and very much attuned to an English-Speaking clientele...Very roomy, comfortable ships, great food and service...

My sister did a Costa cruise in the Med and was very disappointed...because of the target audience, the entertainment was more attuned to non-English speakers...and she though the service and food was not up to our standards...

Obviously, though, everyone looks for something different in their cruises...We all have different standards and criteria...For some, these lines may be just fine...For US, we feel more comfortable on the American-based lines...

The Celebrity Equinox does some great itineraries...like this one next week:

Wed, Sep 22 Rome (Civitavecchia), Italy Depart 6:00 PM

Thu, Sep 23 Naples/Capri, Italy Docked Arrive 7:00 AM Depart 7:00 PM

Fri, Sep 24 At Sea

Sat, Sep 25 At Sea

Sun, Sep 26 Haifa, Israel Docked Arrive 7:00 AM Depart 10:00 PM

Mon, Sep 27 Jerusalem (Ashdod), Israel Docked Arrive 7:00 AM Depart 7:30 PM

Tue, Sep 28 Alexandria, Egypt Docked Arrive 10:30 AM

Wed, Sep 29 Alexandria, Egypt Docked Depart 9:00 PM

Thu, Sep 30 At Sea

Fri, Oct 01 Athens (Piraeus), Greece Docked Arrive 7:00 AM Depart 5:00 PM

Sat, Oct 02 Corfu, Greece Docked Arrive 1:00 PM Depart 8:00 PM

Sun, Oct 03 Sicily (Messina), Italy Docked Arrive 10:00 AM Depart 6:00 PM

Mon, Oct 04 At Sea

Tue, Oct 05 Rome (Civitavecchia), Italy Arrive 4:00 AM

The brand new (not yet out) Celebrity Silhouette will be doing similar cruises next year...like this one in 2011:

Wed, Aug 10 Rome (Civitavecchia), Italy Depart 5:00 PM

Thu, Aug 11 At Sea

Fri, Aug 12 At Sea

Sat, Aug 13 Alexandria, Egypt Docked Arrive 7:00 AM

Sun, Aug 14 Alexandria, Egypt Docked Depart 7:00 PM

Mon, Aug 15 Jerusalem (Ashdod), Israel Docked Arrive 10:00 AM

Tue, Aug 16 Jerusalem (Ashdod), Israel Docked Depart 7:00 PM

Wed, Aug 17 At Sea

Thu, Aug 18 Santorini, Greece Tendered Arrive 8:00 AM Depart 6:00 PM

Fri, Aug 19 Athens (Piraeus), Greece Docked Arrive 7:00 AM Depart 5:00 PM

Sat, Aug 20 At Sea

Sun, Aug 21 Naples/Capri, Italy Docked Arrive 7:00 AM Depart 6:30 PM

Mon, Aug 22 Rome (Civitavecchia), Italy Arrive 4:30 AM

These are fabulous ships---I know, we recently completed a cruise on the Eclipse--a sister ship to these two...

I do not know what you consider "pricey"...but, IMHO, these are WORTH paying more for than a Costa or MSC cruise...

You would not regret it...

Good luck...

I have to second the nod for Celebrity, especially on the new S class ships, which have received great reviews. Not doing mine until January but I have heard enough great things to make me excited about seeing all the changes.

Costa and MSC are a bit questionable in my mind, but only from hearsay. We rode the airport bus in Venice with 3 nice ladies who had just gotten off a MSC cruise and were SO disappointed. I don't think I would choose one of those unless there was no other option for where I wanted to go.

I've taken Med cruises with MSC and NCL. I would go with MSC again in a heartbeat; however, if being in the majority as an American is important to you, another line may be better.

I don't know about the language regarding entertainment, as I didn't go to any of the shows. I don't recall having any problem understanding announcements, or written materials, everything was in English. The ship (MSC Opera) was very nice, rooms were typical in size (our family had one inside cabin and one balcony), food was good and they were very accomodating of a vegetarian diet.

Isn't it all about removing yourself from your comfort zone, and experiencing other cultures. All cruise lines and detinations have something for everyone. English is going to be spoken everywhere, even if it is only the 3rd or 4th announcement over the PA system. It doesn't really matter.

We went on a Celebrity Cruise in 2006 and had the best time ever. This was predominately American and being from Australia was a real eye opener. Nevertheless, we enjoyed ourselves. Our 2nd cruise was on a Princess cruise from Australia to New Zealand and there were way too many Australians on this one. We still had a great time. Our next cruise is on Costa in the Med, and I have read enough to know that the food will not be the same as what we are used to, but we aren't going to starve to death - it is only 11 nights. The annoucements are going to be in several languages and the percentage of English speaking passengers is anyone's guess. But we are still going to enjoy ourselves and not "sweat the small stuff". Its all about going away from your everyday routine and enjoying the difference, if you can't do that you might as well stay home in your comfort zone.

Isn't it all about removing yourself from your comfort zone, and experiencing other cultures...

No...

It's all about different things for different people...

For many of us, it's about seeing and experience different cultures WHILE IN port...and experiencing the absolute best cruise while onboard our ship...

An Italian cruise ship is NOT "Italian culture"...It is not how the average Italian lives every day any more than a US based cruise ship is how the average American lives every day...

If you really think an American cruising onboard an American cruise ship might as well just stay home, you are out of touch with reality...or you are really trying to rationalize your point...

Many of us don't really want to "go outside our comfort zone"...If we wanted to be uncomfortable and experience a local culture, we'd be vacationing in some third world country and living in a hut or shack...

It's not what we want...We want to be pampered, entertained, well fed, taken care of, etc. in considerable comfort...while we travel and see the world...

At least that's what I cruise for...

The insight so far has been great. I did look at Celebrity an I think it is more than I want to spend on the ship, I think I would rather save my money for the ports. I did find a nice cruise with NCL on the Jade. It is still a little more than MSC so I guess the new question is NCL worth $300 more than MSC for basicly the same cruise??

My husband and I did "The Best of Italy" with the Azamara Quest in March, 2009. We are former Princess cruisers and this small ship rocked our world! Great itinerary, fantastic service, wonderful people...I could go on and on and on!!

We are booked for October 30 (Rome to Venice) and November 6 (Venice to Athens), again on the Azamara Quest. We are looking forward to the new amenities and will report back.

Whatever line you choose, you will love Italy :)

Judy

we sailed on the Jade last year, will this year and next. we enjoyed the ship very much. there are many nationalities on the ship, almost like a mini united nations onboard, but all the comforts and entertainment that you expect from a cruise ship. You may want to talk with a travel agent just to get a feel for the type of cruiser you are - big ship, smaller ship? Do you like gourmet food, or will good food work? Is onboard entertainment important to you? We like NCL for anytime freestyle dining- does this flexibility matter to you? On a very port intensive cruise as the Med usually is, we like the eating flexibility and the variety of entertainment choices. Do some more homework and you should have the time of your life. And yes, I do love NCL, so I give them a little push to the top:)

Isn't it all about removing yourself from your comfort zone, and experiencing other cultures. All cruise lines and detinations have something for everyone. English is going to be spoken everywhere, even if it is only the 3rd or 4th announcement over the PA system. It doesn't really matter.

We went on a Celebrity Cruise in 2006 and had the best time ever. This was predominately American and being from Australia was a real eye opener. Nevertheless, we enjoyed ourselves. Our 2nd cruise was on a Princess cruise from Australia to New Zealand and there were way too many Australians on this one. We still had a great time. Our next cruise is on Costa in the Med, and I have read enough to know that the food will not be the same as what we are used to, but we aren't going to starve to death - it is only 11 nights. The annoucements are going to be in several languages and the percentage of English speaking passengers is anyone's guess. But we are still going to enjoy ourselves and not "sweat the small stuff". Its all about going away from your everyday routine and enjoying the difference, if you can't do that you might as well stay home in your comfort zone.

Everyone's comfort zone is different.

Archived