Panama Canal from New York

granny49

Do you think that Princess will ever do a Panama Canal cruise from New York? I just received an offer from Cunard for the Queen Victoria 17 days from New York Jan.2011.

They could but we only have one ship that isnt even year round and when the Caribbean Princess is in she doing a ton of Canada/New England 7 Day and her new 9 Day Canada/England itinerary and a few 9 Day Caribbean Stops and the Crown only does one, two? 10 Day non round-trip Canada/New England

Do you think that Princess will ever do a Panama Canal cruise from New York?

Other than the 3 "small girls", which tend to do the more "exotic" itineraries, only the SEA, CORAL and ISLAND PRINCESSes can fit through the Panama Canal; the others are too large. (The SUN and DAWN PRINCESSes really don't count anymore, since they spend most of their time in Australia.) These ships do Alaska in the summer, and the canal or Caribbean at other times during the year. And, during those other times, few people want to sail out of New York due to fluctuations in the weather (i.e., cold or rough seas).

Many years ago, this type of cruise (New York-Acapulco) was operated twice yearly on the old ROYAL PRINCESS, when the ship spent the summer in Europe and the rest of the year in the Caribbean.

Otherwise, it is mostly a decision of the marketing department that governs the itineraries.

You might be able to arrange a ship-ship transfer in Ft. Lauderdale at some point, or I could see this being an option when the Canal expansion is complete and some of the bigger ships can make it through (I'm expecting at least one NY to Seattle or vice versa per year as a kind of repo when that happens.

You might be able to arrange a ship-ship transfer in Ft. Lauderdale at some point, or I could see this being an option when the Canal expansion is complete and some of the bigger ships can make it through (I'm expecting at least one NY to Seattle or vice versa per year as a kind of repo when that happens.

I'm thinking something like that might happen as well. They might to mix up the ships a little, and give the east coast a taste of Diamond and Sapphire and the west the Crown or Ruby (or sisters). I wouldn't count on a repo starting from NY though, but it would be nice.

Federal law would prohibit sailing from NYC and disembarking in FLL unless the ship also went to a distant foreign port such as Aruba. Does not matter where the next ship you would get on would go.

Good point, forgot about the Jones Act. It would have to be sold as one trip or start in Canada.

Federal law would prohibit sailing from NYC and disembarking in FLL unless the ship also went to a distant foreign port such as Aruba. Does not matter where the next ship you would get on would go.

Would Bermuda would make more geographical sense than Aruba?

Has to be a distant port if not a closed circuit cruise from a US port and only a South American ports meets PVSA requirement. Bermuda isn't a distant port nor are any Caribbean, Mexican or Central American normal cruise ports except for ABC islands, Margarita Is. or Trinidad/Tobago which are all considered in or part of the SA Continent.

As others have said, it's not a distant foreign port. If you are suggesting Bermuda be classified as a distant foreign port, it's closer to the US coast than most of the Caribbean islands are. I also don't think Bermuda would be in favour of such a thing, as they seem to get all the cruise traffic they want now.

Archived