Only Pesos in Mexico now

boaterette

We saw an interesting discussion at a public convenience in Dubrovnik last year where American "ladies" were yelling and cursing at the attendant what a backward country it was that they did not take American coins in the restroom. He tried to explain in the little english he knew that his bank did not take foreign coins...They didn't understand at all...this was not a foreign currency...this was US dollars....:rolleyes:

Sometimes, I am embarrassed to be an American.:o:mad:

They did not specify currency

I take that back. The price was clearly quoted in US Dollars. No mention of pesos ever occurred so they obviously do not expect us to show up with pesos.

Either this is totally bogus, or there is some exception in place. Either way, I could not care less. If they don't want my dollars, I will keep them :D!

once in a different country the banks there will not exchange foreign coins for local currency so even tipping with foreign currency coins makes your tip useless to those you are tipping, have you ever been to an airport in a different country and been approached by a local asking you to exchange US or CDN coins (or for that matter any other currency coin) to paper bills. So that person actually get some value from your tip.

Is it just to hard to go to the currency exchange booth and use the correct currency.

I know where I live I get a lot of USA money to pay for whatever, our bank charges us 5 cents on every $ we take in to exchange into CDN $, then add on the exchange rate and you the customer is loosing. Whereas had the visitor gone to their bank at home and ordered or ask for the country they are going to local $, or currency exchange booth at every customs or airport they would be ahead.

Goes with the saying when in Rome do what the Romans do.

Here's the skinny:

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010/jul/25/mexicos-new-dollar-rules-stir-uproar-at-border/

Be sure to scroll down to the bottom of the article where it states Dollars are welcome.

According to that article, the limits are only on US cash deposits from Mexican merchants. No mention of a $100 per transaction limit. Maybe some merchants imposed that somewere so they would no collect too much cash.

It's really good they are trying to do something about the big narco trafficers there.

The article is dated July and as I said a while back this was discussed and poo-pooed on here a couple of months back.

I know Dan, but it seems there has been a lot of confusion since it actually went into effect on 09/14/10.

And if it was poo-pooed, why did this thread start again? I've just been attempting to clarify facts.

According to that article, the limits are only on US cash deposits from Mexican merchants. No mention of a $100 per transaction limit. Maybe some merchants imposed that somewere so they would no collect too much cash.

It's really good they are trying to do something about the big narco trafficers there.

I have no idea where the $100 limit came in. It may be some of the confusion with the new law, but it is good to see Mexico take hard stances on the drug cartels. They really are trying to clean up their image.

I live right on the border. Recently, in the middle of the day, the bridge authority in Mexico ordered that everyone crossing at all of our local bridges had to pay in pesos because of this new rule. The bridge was tied up for hours because many people waiting to cross by car had to somehow find enough pesos to pay the bridge fee. It wasn't so bad for pedestrians on foot, but they still had to find Mexican coins to use in the turnstiles. Then after all the complaints & decrease in traffic, the authority changed its mind & went back to allowing people to pay in USD or pesos to cross back into the US. (BTW, you can only cross the bridge from the US side by paying in US currency.)

Right now, the tourist places take USD as a COURTESY to you. They are not required to take USD. It would be nice to think if this had to change because the government started enforcing the law that my fellow Americans wouldn't throw temper tantrums about not being able to use "real" money in Mexico.

I know Dan, but it seems there has been a lot of confusion since it actually went into effect on 09/14/10.

And if it was poo-pooed, why did this thread start again? I've just been attempting to clarify facts.

It got started again because it was brought over from the RCL board [nothing good ever comes from there!:D:D] where they either just heard about this or they resurrected an old thread.

It got started again because it was brought over from the RCL board [nothing good ever comes from there!:D:D] where they either just heard about this or they resurrected an old thread.

Yes. I brought it over from RCCL as I had not seen anything about it here on this board. I know on one of my previous cruises to the Mexican Riveria on Carnival that my friends spent a little over $2000 on Jewelery in Cabo. They paid cash because they don't like to use their cc in Mexico. When I read the limit was only $100 per transaction I thought others who might spend cash on big purchases might like to know. I love Carnival and am platinum. Who knew so many of you would jump down my throat about it. I am sailing down there again in just under two weeks again on Carnival and I didn't know anything about it. So I for one am glad to have read something and am sorry that you all were so grossly offended.

Yes. I brought it over from RCCL as I had not seen anything about it here on this board. I know on one of my previous cruises to the Mexican Riveria on Carnival that my friends spent a little over $2000 on Jewelery in Cabo. They paid cash because they don't like to use their cc in Mexico. When I read the limit was only $100 per transaction I thought others who might spend cash on big purchases might like to know. I love Carnival and am platinum. Who knew so many of you would jump down my throat about it. I am sailing down there again in just under two weeks again on Carnival and I didn't know anything about it. So I for one am glad to have read something and am sorry that you all were so grossly offended.

I would think anyone from the U.S. that made such a big purchase in Mexico would use pesos.......I know I sure would.........

What a lot of posters don't realize is that the situation could change at any moment, if the local authorities decide to enforce this law (exceptions or not).

No way, you get your best value using the local currency. When I am quoted prices in Pesos, I am getting a better deal. I am currently furnishing a condo in Cabo, so trust me, I know what I'm saying.

I was saying that kurbanfan was wrong about everyone using pesos when they spend a lot of money. What in the world are you posting to?

I'm not even a little offended. The vendors will take dollars from tourists, happily. A major purchase, maybe not. But when in Mexico, one should be spending Peso's not dollars. A cruise pax ashore for a few hours is only brushing up against Mexico.

Was in MR last month, had 1200 pesos.

In Maz. i asked cabi how any pesos to the plaza, he said $5 usd, said he didn't have a calculator to figure it in pesos.

In PV bought RX. & the item was $16 usd, i said how many pesos she said 200 pesos. Which is the same.

The cabs are on fixed pricing in dollars. Why not learn how to do the conversion then you can pay in pesos anytime you want.:)

Archived