Only Pesos in Mexico now

boaterette

I remember reading a thread (can't find it now) about a new law that passed in Mexico a few months ago about vendors giving back change in pesos if given dollars. I believe it had something to do with mexican money laundering practices and the gov't trying to stop it. Maybe that is what the OP is talking about.

Local tourist vendors are notorious for giving change in pesos! This has been going on for many years, and I've posted about it several times! They won't accept US change, but will gladly take US dollars! It's why I've always carried US $1.00 bills when I go to tourist spots in Mexico. This will not affect Mexican cruise ports or tourist/resort areas. Just sayin'...

Just got home from off the Legend today. They were VERY happy to take American money in Cozumel. We even walked the streets and went to the 7-11 (yes 7-11) in town and the local restaurant and they just told us how much in American dollars and had no problems.

In the main shopping village there was not even an issue.

JB

How well are Peso's accepted in Pittsburgh? Buffalo? Memphis? Fargo?

I don't know, but I wouldn't be surprised if they are accepted in Brownsville. or El Peso,,,Oops El Paso.

They aren't, which is why you see lots of casa de cambios in areas around the bridges.

As for the tourist areas still accepting USD, realize that could change tomorrow.

Local tourist vendors are notorious for giving change in pesos! This has been going on for many years, and I've posted about it several times! They won't accept US change, but will gladly take US dollars! It's why I've always carried US $1.00 bills when I go to tourist spots in Mexico. This will not affect Mexican cruise ports or tourist/resort areas. Just sayin'...

No one anywhere converts coins. You can only exchange bills. Just try getting Euro or UK coinage converted back into USD. Won't happen in most cases & if it does, you'll get ripped on the exchange rate.

Just came back from a cruise on the Carnival Paradise and while we were in Ensenada, most of the vendors WANTED dollars (heck, went to the grocery store while there and used my $$). We were cautioned to not accept any change back in pesos so maybe this is where the confusion lays???:confused:

The new law just went into effect September 14,2010.

I did a google search about this topic and haven't found anything from a named source (no, message boards do not count). I saw some things about the State of Oaxaca no longer taking them plus Cancun is limiting the use of American dollars to $1500 per month (to combat money laundering). Guess we probably need to wait and see if anything shows up in the national news or we hear a first hand account of someone on a cruise that experienced this change.

I think it would dumb to only except pesos. I for one would not shop. A lot of people I know who are mexican American hate having to deal with pesos when we traveled years ago15-20 yrs ago. It was to confusing and if you didnt know it was easy to get ripped off. I think the money has change since then but I'll happily spend my American $$ otherwise I wont shop.

What about using creditcards in Mexico at costco or wal-mart. I wont use mine but wondering if its safe or not

Cool just one more reason to not travel to mexico.

Well I sure hope you don't want to go to Europe either because they won't take your dollars.:mad:

What a silly notion. If American's would quit buying drugs from Mexico, there would not be so many problems with drug cartels. These laws are being implemented to attempt to curb drug purchases.

And to Twinken01, you may safely use your credit cards in Costco and Walmart in Mexico. Those are American Company's operating in Mexico. And OBTW, if their presence is there, it indicates they have confidence in the economy.

The Rumors and Misinformation about Mexico has been getting WAY out of hand on this forum the last few days with Rumors and jumping to conclusions.

Regardless of a new Anti-Counterfitting law going into effect, you will still be able to use US Dollars in the cruise ports/tourist areas. Even if that were to change, it would be no different from European ports where you could exchange money the ship next to pursers desk or use your Credit Card in port and the sponsering bank would do the conversion. Stop Panicking!!!!!!!

The Mexican Tourist Ports are as safe as any mid-sized US cities. The Mexican Drug Cartels ARE NOT taking hostages or killing tourists at the ports where you dock from AND except for some changes to the itinerary for the Carnival Spirit, Carnival IS NOT stopping thier ports in Mexico!!!!!!! Just like any Mid-Sized US City, they have bad areas. If you stick to the tourist areas during the day and stay with your groups you will be fine!!!!! Government troops are there for you protection and a good thing. Don't call a country bad names or think bad about them just because they deploy troops to a tourist area - Thank Them!!!!

Let's STOP THE RUMORS!!!!!!! Research CREDIBLE sources first before you post a new thread or respond to a new thread. I am not a cheerleader, but get really annoyed by people spreading false rumors that they heard from a friend of a friend of a cousin's uncle at the grocery store!!!

Also, if you have valid documentation (Passport or certified copy of Birth Certificate) you will be able to go to Mexico and Back!!!!! Read the FAQS on the Carnival Website and stop panicking!!!!

Get a grip!!!! Everything you read in some blog on the Internet is NOT True. Research first!!!!!

I think it would dumb to only except pesos. I for one would not shop. A lot of people I know who are mexican American hate having to deal with pesos when we traveled years ago15-20 yrs ago. It was to confusing and if you didnt know it was easy to get ripped off. I think the money has change since then but I'll happily spend my American $$ otherwise I wont shop.

What about using creditcards in Mexico at costco or wal-mart. I wont use mine but wondering if its safe or not

Why is it stupid for mexican stores to only accept pesos. Most countries (including ours) only use their own money and don't accept other countries money. Granted, it is smarter for them to accept US dollars, but they don't have to.

I wouldnt waste my time getting off the ship if they didnt want to take the money I had in my pockets.

OMG I can't believe a statement like this. And you're from Phoenix. You should know better.

So I guess you will never travel anywhere but the U.S.

I took a Baltic Sea cruise and had to change money every day. That is a part of traveling. Adapting to foreign cultures.

Why are people so prejudice against Mexico? There are plenty of other countries that will not accept the all mighty dollar.

I recently sailed to Cozumel and Progresso in April.

I did have some Pesos with me. During our Progresso stop, we went into Merida. We spent the bulk of the time in the non tourist area among the small shops and stores that the locals visit.

Now in a few of these stores, they only took the Pesos. But in others either currency.

I know a few years back I was in Guadeloupe. There were people on the ship complaining about how alot places didn't want to take the dollar or the exchange rate was very poor.

I knew prior that since the dollar was alot weaker than the Euro and not many US tourist come, the dollar was at a disavantage.

The port cities that the cruiseships sail too have no problem taking the dollar. But in other parts of the world, the dollar is of lesser value. But if one do their research prior to traveling, you will know.

I live in Vancouver, Canada and on our local news the travel section had a news report and it stated that, any transaction over 100$ needed to be in Pesos. Yes indeed it was a very new law just passed. She was also quick to add that credit cards were perfectly fine and that she was sure that vendors on the beach would be more than happy to accept USD. It was more for large dept stores and or hotels etc. Hope that helps.

LP :cool:

Why is it stupid for mexican stores to only accept pesos. Most countries (including ours) only use their own money and don't accept other countries money. Granted, it is smarter for them to accept US dollars, but they don't have to.

I think it's dumb because small mexican business will lose money. Those small business look forward to us shopping there. Many will not want to convert $$ or get off the ship and shop.

Well I sure hope you don't want to go to Europe either because they won't take your dollars.:mad:

Why is it stupid for mexican stores to only accept pesos. Most countries (including ours) only use their own money and don't accept other countries money.

I was just about to say the same. Same with all the threads about passports we don't get here either (travelling on birth certificates? in your dreams!). On the European continent, we cross borders all the time. We are used to changing money and carrying passports. People who travelled a lot were so happy when the Euro came. I remember as a child that we would have these plastic film containers (you know, the black ones with the grey tops for the 135-camera films) all in a neat row on the shelf with all different coins in them: German, Belgian, French, Luxemburg, Swiss, Italian, etc. We kept them all for a next trip.

We now live 3 miles from the Czech border, and always have a wallet with Czech Koruna in the glove compartment of our car. We know that nobody wants our Euros on the other side of the border, especially not on the public transport, at parking meters or at restrooms.

We saw an interesting discussion at a public convenience in Dubrovnik last year where American "ladies" were yelling and cursing at the attendant what a backward country it was that they did not take American coins in the restroom. He tried to explain in the little english he knew that his bank did not take foreign coins...They didn't understand at all...this was not a foreign currency...this was US dollars....:rolleyes:

You can change your dollars into pesos or any other currency at major banks usually immediately, or at small banks with a possible day or two wait. At any airport that has international flights there are also currency exchanges where you can change dollars into pesos or other currency (and change your extra pesos back at the end of your trip.) Currency exchanges do charge a fee and your bank may or may not charge a fee for this service.

Businesses will only be able to accept a maximum of $100 USD CASH per transaction - but the number of transactions per customer is not restricted.

I don't believe this is true, or at least is not being enforced in Cozumel.

We made reservations at Nachi Cocum resort and were told the total amount (well ovet $100) had to be paid in Cash or Traveler's Check by a single person at checkin. So no multiple transactions to get around the $100 limit.

They did not specify currency, but they KNOW we are cruisers and will NOT have pesos.

It would be a real drag to have to do currency exchange where we did not before, because there is a significant cost to that.

Archived