ooooh that smell!! can't you smell that smell!!

2girlsnlovefl

how bad is the "smell" really??  

98 members have voted

1. 1. how bad is the "smell" really??

• what smell? if there is one i did not notice.
    • there was a whiff. though not enough to complain about.
    • i thought i was cruising in a toilet it was sooo bad.

ok so i am sailing on the dream in a week and a few days. i have read all the reviews and i keep hearing about the infamous "SMELL". this is my 5th cruise and on the previous 4 i have always caught a whiff here and there of something sewage like. i really noticed it on the triumph. i always assumed it was just 3,000 peoples worth of crap and went along my way and ignored it. so the question is: " does it smell that much worse or are people just looking to complain about something as always?"

I have noticed this smell on two cruises. Luckily my room was never in the immediate area. But I would walk through the hallway and catch the awful smell. Always felt sorry for the people whos rooms were right in the immediate area.

I take precautions now and at least bring some air freshners in case I become unlucky and end up in a "poo" room.

This certainly is not unique to the Dream; this is possible on any and all ships. The Dream had a few snags with their system of venting the smell briefly, but that was months before I cruised in April. They've fixed it, but there's always a possiblity of a whiff here and there, like on any ship. But some people will always be looking for something to complain about, so when they smell that smell even once (like, when they're using the bathroom), they decide that it was a sickening overpowering odor that you couldn't escape from for the entire cruise. I loved my Dream cruise so much, that I decided to book a return trip next year.

One place that you can smell it sometimes is way way up at the slide entrances (only when it's very windy, carrying the smell in that direction), which sit about 5280 feet above sea level. If you could get approximately 18 stories above the sea on other Carnival ships, you'd probably get the same smell, but you can't get that high on those. That smell has to go somewhere. Still, the smell didn't stop me from riding the slides over and over and over and over...

Some people probably won't believe me, but some people are more sensitive to smells than others. Women usually have a higher sense of smell than men.

Smells also tend to trigger responses. A smell for one person can bring warm, happy feelings. The same smell for someone else can trigger anger and hatred.

Sewer smell is terrible no matter what!:eek: Some people are more sensitive to it than others. One person may be able to just hold their breath and keep moving. Someone else might have a hard time keeping from actually throwing up.

If you're super sensitive to smells, being on a ship for 5-7 days that "smells" in any way can be a nightmare!

Very rarely on cruise ships have I detected an objectionable smell (usually a sewer odor). Having grown up in the midwest, however, one tends to be more used to unusual and objectionable odors (cattle, hogs, chickens, septic systems, dead animals, etc.) so it never ever is cause for concern for me.

we stayed in cabin 2276 and smelled it everyday in the next hall down from us going aft.we never brought it up to anyone because it wasnt over powering but it was always there.it was more like walking past a porta potty 10 to 15 sec of smell then nothing.we never smelled it anywhere but that hall way.

Some people probably won't believe me, but some people are more sensitive to smells than others. Women usually have a higher sense of smell than men.

Smells also tend to trigger responses. A smell for one person can bring warm, happy feelings. The same smell for someone else can trigger anger and hatred.

Sewer smell is terrible no matter what!:eek: Some people are more sensitive to it than others. One person may be able to just hold their breath and keep moving. Someone else might have a hard time keeping from actually throwing up.

If you're super sensitive to smells, being on a ship for 5-7 days that "smells" in any way can be a nightmare!

I, and likely most people, would definitely agree with you. I wouldn't enjoy a cruise that smelled that way for the entire cruise. Fortunately, the Dream is not like that all (except at the top of the slides when the winds blowing a certain direction). Other than that, you may catch a slight whiff here and there (like with any cruise ship). We did catch a whiff in the hallway a couple times, but not every time. It was never in our room or anywhere else, and all 3 of us were very aware of the reports and were intentionally "looking" for the smell.

thank you so much K2 i feel much better about my parents going. like i said i was never worried about myself because when i am on a cruise not much if anything bothers me. if for even a second i get irritated about something i just think how lucky and i am to be cruising especially in a time when sooo many people have so little. it would take a lot more than a whiff of something to ruin my cruise!!!!!

It is not unusualy to "get a whiff" on a cruise ship.

It is a self contained vessel and as such (some ships worse than others) ...odors can "appear"....

It is usually relegated to one area (for some reason most times we have noticed it around the first bank of elevators or walking into the main theater)...

Archived