I'm sooo confused.. RCI, Carnival, Princess, Norweigian Celebrity

shark5

We're looking at a Mar/Apr 2011 cruise in a balcony cabin and want to go to St. Thomas and St. Maarten. The ships that go there are:

RCI Freedom of the Seas.

Carnival Dream

Carnival Liberty

Norweigian Sun

Ruby Princess

Celebrity Summit

I've read the reviews and have my doubts about each one..

FOS

Dream - too many people and not enough staff

Liberty - food and shows mediocre

Sun - food mediocre to bad. Cabins are small

Princess - not enough to do onboard

Summit - food mediocre.

I was on the Sun when they started the specialty restaurants and tried them. They were good. However the dining room food was just so-so.

Generally I like Carnival (6 cruises) but my TA said she's heard from folks coming off the Dream, that there are very long lines for everything.

My last cruise was on the Summit and it was just ok however the food always came out cool and aside from the specialty restaurant, was just ok. I haven't been on a RCI in a very long time and I don't recall how the food was..

I've never travelled on Princess so I can't do anything but read the reviews and there's not much I see except that the Ruby seem not to have much to do on it.

As you can see, good food is one of my hot buttons..

Comment and suggestions would be appreciated.

thanks

sharkman

I personally liked Princess and thought it had the best food. I am not sure what things you like to do that Princess didnt have .. lots of trivia like Carnival?? I got tired of trivia that I never win. Activities would never influence me. Which port cruises leave from and the price is how I decide.

I lean toward preferring RCL but have more Carnival cruises, just because its more convenient.

I'd go with Princess or Celebrity. I don't know how you heard Princess does not have enough to do on board. There are tons of scheduled activities, plus enough venues that you can do your own thing. Princess especially seems to have more evening entertainment than other cruise lines we've sailed.

And Celebrity is known for having some of the best food among the mass market cruise lines.

Because you are interested in a balcony, I would suggest you look at the deck plans of the ships. Carnival has some extended balconies in the aft and Aft Sides that are very affordable. Princess ships usually have alot of balconies. So maybe narrow to those.

Those two lines will allow some carry on wine to enjoy on your balcony. :)

Archived