Trying to Chose btwn Solstice and Summit..please HELP

jacquid

Hello Y'all ! My DH and I ( early 30's couple) avid cruisers on Carnival and RCL are looking for a more upscale relaxing experience so have decided to try Celebrity in December. Currently have a deposit on the solstice for Dec with a conceirge class balcony, but am trying to decide btwn that and the summit. Was hoping someone could provide some advice on the pros and cons of each. Feeling that the summit might less luxurious ??? :confused:

We have sailed on the Summit and loved it, but there is no question that it is an old ship by current standards. The pool area in particular was pretty tired although we loved the Normandie specialty restaurant. Now we have booked for the Solstice Silhouette for 2011 and judging by the layout of Solstice class ships in the brochures it is far superior to the Summit. Everything seems to be in a better positon and the cabins are larger.

We recently cruised on Summit to Bermuda (third time on the ship--Carib & Hawaii)) & have had two on Solstcie-- Although Summit had been a fav, Solstice wins hands down-- it is an updated elegant ship with many dining choices...

service is excellent on both but for Summit, I'd wait til it is refurbed!! many tired items on board from mattresses to lounges, couches & chairs...old decor etc.. our TV remote only went down not up & was held together with a rubber band.. & one side of our mattres just wasn't a mattress anymore! the ship is spotless & has a great staff! but I'd say no contest with Solstice..

As was stated earlier, it depends on your priorities. We booked the Summit (after really enjoying the Equinox) strictly for the itinerary. I do not enjoy sea days and prefer to visit as many new places as possible. Departing from San Juan allows us to spend some time there too. Also, we were able to get a suite on Summit for less than AQ on Solstice thereby having a chance to try this category of cabin at a great price.

If the Wow factor is important to you, go for the Solstice...it does have a great design, amenities, dining choices, and I certainly loved the Lawn Club and Solarium. If you can - book Aquaclass!

If you are bothered by the little details not being perfect, it does sound like Summit might be a dissapointment.

Hello Y'all ! My DH and I ( early 30's couple) avid cruisers on Carnival and RCL are looking for a more upscale relaxing experience so have decided to try Celebrity in December. Currently have a deposit on the solstice for Dec with a conceirge class balcony, but am trying to decide btwn that and the summit. Was hoping someone could provide some advice on the pros and cons of each. Feeling that the summit might less luxurious ??? :confused:

Both are great ships!!! The Solstice is a newer ship, and is quite luxurious. The Summit is a little older, but still a classy ship. We have sailed on both in Conceirge Stateroom, and if you sail on either one, you wont be disappointed.:)

Does the Solstice have coffee/tea making facilites in the veranda rooms? Is there a place where one can get chips and salsa most any time of day? We have been on the Eclipse so wondered about these. Thanks. Marlyne

Agree pics are great thnx! New dilemma now is keep my cc on solstice or

Keep the spa deluxe balcony on carnival dream? Ahh this is what being an anal over planner does to u!!! Is there a spa pass optional for purchase on solstice?? Need to decide with final payment by Monday eve!!! Crazy I tell you!!

Does the Solstice have coffee/tea making facilites in the veranda rooms? Is there a place where one can get chips and salsa most any time of day? We have been on the Eclipse so wondered about these. Thanks. Marlyne

Hi Marlyne:) Solstice does not offer the coffee/tea making stuff

in their rooms. Maybe in a suite but not the regular balconies.

I think I read Eclipse is the only S class ship with those items.

I was on Solstice earlier in the month and had a wonderful time:)

Agree pics are great thnx! New dilemma now is keep my cc on solstice or

Keep the spa deluxe balcony on carnival dream? Ahh this is what being an anal over planner does to u!!! Is there a spa pass optional for purchase on solstice?? Need to decide with final payment by Monday eve!!! Crazy I tell you!!

Oh goodness easy one, do the Solistice, the Dream was the smokiest most crowded ship I was ever on. Awful layout. While it did have one of the best shows at sea, I would choose Solstice hands down. I was on it last week if you want to look at pictures.

http://s211.photobucket.com/albums/bb250/sclmkl/Celebrity%20Solstice%20Cruise/

and these are the the Carnival Dream

http://travel.webshots.com/album/575520202edFGFO

Oh goodness easy one, do the Solistice, the Dream was the smokiest most crowded ship I was ever on. Awful layout. While it did have one of the best shows at sea, I would choose Solstice hands down. I was on it last week if you want to look at pictures.

http://s211.photobucket.com/albums/bb250/sclmkl/Celebrity%20Solstice%20Cruise/

and these are the the Carnival Dream

http://travel.webshots.com/album/575520202edFGFO

Hi Sue, thanks for the photos:) I have a few but keep forgetting

to upload them:eek:

That one of Kelby is terrific:Dhe is THE BEST!

Sue,

thanks for the pics my OCD is worse than ever !! Jury is still out. Called celebrity and they apparently no longer offer a spa pass to be purchased so that is weighing heavily on me. I also like that I have exclusive or secluded accommodations on the carnival in the spa area and on solstice Im on deck 9 port side. Call the assylum I need professional help !! LOL

I was on deck 9 on Solstice, 9241 to be exact. Do you smoke? Carnival Dream you can smoke in the cabins, balconies and many of the bars. I smoked for years and 5 minutes in the piano bar and i had to leave. I would worry more on that then the spa.

Archived