My review of Sapphire Beach & Paradise Point

mitsugirly

That's funny..lol it's a mitsiguy2001 asking questions about that - sorry!:p

That is funny. I never noticed that. Must be a poser. (j/k) :D

To the original poster...

I have a question..

we can't decide where my boyfriend should scuba dive on our upcoming trip, I was first thinking St. Thomas but now I'm thinking St. Martin may be better and we can spend the day at Sapphire.

If we want to check out the shops closer to port also(since we missed them last time), should we plan to do that in the afternoon?

How long of a cab ride is it from the Havensight pier to Sapphire?

Thanks!

I honestly couldn't tell you a thing about scuba diving. I've never done it before...so therefore can't tell you where the good places to scuba would for you to make that decision.

I would listen to blue water. They actually stay in St Thomas at times and is more knowledgeable on getting around the island what else there is to offer there. :) I can only report on the places I've been...which is only Sapphire and Paradise Point. :D

Thanks so much!! Malibu Rum distillery??? I'm very interested in this!

The Malibu Rum distillery is on Cockspur Beach I think, a gorgeous beach along the west coast of Barbados. Barbads has some og the most beautiful, powdered sugar sand beaches in the world. The package includes a tour of the distillery, use of their beach, and one rum drink. You have to pay for chairs and umbrellas. This is offered through Carnival and perhaps Shoretrips. Leaves time for other activities.

That is funny. I never noticed that. Must be a poser. (j/k) :D

I honestly couldn't tell you a thing about scuba diving. I've never done it before...so therefore can't tell you where the good places to scuba would for you to make that decision.

I would listen to blue water. They actually stay in St Thomas at times and is more knowledgeable on getting around the island what else there is to offer there. :) I can only report on the places I've been...which is only Sapphire and Paradise Point. :D

I'm not an expert by any means but we do stop in STT after spending time in the BVI or other area of the Caribbean before flying out. Your snorkeling pictures of Sapphire are excellent and you really capture the beauty very well and I thank you for that.

I am also not a diver, I just have friends who are and they recommend that. We've snorkeled Creole Rock and it was good. But I think STT offers more snorkeling than SXM overall. And of course diving is huge in the BVI.

To the original poster...

I have a question..

we can't decide where my boyfriend should scuba dive on our upcoming trip, I was first thinking St. Thomas but now I'm thinking St. Martin may be better and we can spend the day at Sapphire.

If we want to check out the shops closer to port also(since we missed them last time), should we plan to do that in the afternoon?

How long of a cab ride is it from the Havensight pier to Sapphire?

Thanks!

First question. How experienced is your boyfriend?

At Coki Beach on St. Thomas he can do a single tank shore dive while you enjoy the beach. It's not the best diving, but it's a good refresher/warm up dive for the rest of the cruise. There is a dive shop at Sapphire too but I keep forgetting to ask if they do shore dives there or if they only do boat dives.

Look/ask in the SCUBA and Snorkeling forum about St Thomas vs St Martin diving. You will get 20 different answers, and YMMV, but IMHO on average the diving in St Thomas is better.

Strike two for St Martin is that it's on your last day of the cruise. What time is your flight home the next day? You should wait at least 24 hours after diving before flying: some people need more time than that.

If you REALLY love your BF, let him do the shore dive on St. Thomas AND let him do another dive at St. Lucia and/or Barbados.

Dennis

[quote name='woohoo1971']alot of coral?[/quote]

The beach is nice and sandy, so water shoes aren't required but are nice to have since you can never tell what is really in the sand (e.g. something sharp, or jellyfish bits).

There are two separate sections of live coral on either end of the beach. Please don't walk on them, even with water shoes. It's kills the coral and water shoes don't really offer you that much protection. If you can't see what you are standing on, than don't stand on it!

The good news is that between the two coral sections is a mostly sandy section where you can just wade in.

Dennis

• 4 weeks later...
Do the taxis give a deal if there is 3 children in the family? Or do they charge pp on the way down and coming back. Wondering if you could catch the same taxi back for a deal, if you know the time your leaving back to go shopping, etc

The driver may cut you a deal depending on the ages/sizes of the kids and how busy it is. But there are no discounts for children in the published rates. Any lap kids?

You will not get the same driver back, just take the next available taxi.

I agree with blue_water... You should budget enough to pay the full published rate, per person, each way, but you MIGHT get a driver who will charge you slightly less depending on the size of your kids.

It is possible to TRY to negotiate with taxi drivers, but it has to be to their advantage too. If you walk outside of the immediate port area, a driver in one of the “smaller” van taxis (vs the HUGE open air safaris) MAY try to convince you to go with him, and you have a shot of negotiating a deal for an out and back trip if he thinks two guaranteed trips at a reduced rate is more than he will make waiting around for other fares.

On the other hand if it's a busy day your chances of getting a deal are pretty low, so it might not be worth the time spent haggling, especially with three kids in tow.

Whatever you do, make sure he/she is a licensed taxi driver in an official taxi, and not an unlicensed “gypsy” taxi.

Dennis

Taxis are the primary mode of transport other than car rental.
There is a $2taxi/bus but that's not a typical bus, but if your timing is lucky you may catch it. Longer trip to the East End, most island experts advise using the taxi for the short time you have but it's your choice, you may get lucky.

The $2 “dollar bus” is always a big argument. Just do a search for “bus” and you will find many many threads with reasons both for and against trying to use it. For example...

Con:
[URL]http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1552492&highlight=bus[/URL]

Pro:
[URL]http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1532184&highlight=bus[/URL]

I'm firmly in the “pro” group, but even I'll admit it's not for most cruisers, and you shouldn't even think about trying to use it unless you have done a LOT of research first.

• 2 weeks later...
I will be on Carnival in Oct 2012 (Valor). We want to snorkle at this port. I am thinking Coki or Sapphire. Can you really see a turtle (if lucky) at Sapphire?? We will take a taxi both way but I am unclear on cost to both of these beaches. Can someone help with these questions.
Thanks,

[quote name='Star1']I will be on Carnival in Oct 2012 (Valor). We want to snorkle at this port. I am thinking Coki or Sapphire. Can you really see a turtle (if lucky) at Sapphire?? We will take a taxi both way but I am unclear on cost to both of these beaches. Can someone help with these questions.
Thanks,[/quote]

We were so excited when we made it to Sapphire and started snorkeling with all the coral and rocks that we managed to not move from the spot we picked out (right in front of the Sapphire Resort Condos). However, if you decide to go down the beach a little (facing the beach looking to your left), there is suppose to be some sea grassy areas and I have read on here that people have indeed seen turtles. Next time we go back, we will definitely explore more. :D

There's no cost to get in to the beach (Coki and Sapphire).

Yes the sea grass area is reported to be a good spot to see rays and sea turtles, I don't know what the odds are, sorry.
A taxi to either Coki or Sapphire is about $18pp each way. If you decide to hit Coki first it would be another $5 to go to Sapphire from Coki ($23 round trip)

[quote name='mitsugirly']We were so excited when we made it to Sapphire and started snorkeling with all the coral and rocks that we managed to not move from the spot we picked out (right in front of the Sapphire Resort Condos). However, if you decide to go down the beach a little (facing the beach looking to your left), there is suppose to be some sea grassy areas and I have read on here that people have indeed seen turtles. Next time we go back, we will definitely explore more. :D

There's no cost to get in to the beach (Coki and Sapphire).[/quote]

We just returned from our cruise this past Sunday. We visited Sapphire Beach and LOVED it. My DH saw sea turtles, while our friends saw a stingray. The turtles where just beyond the rocks on the right side of the beach. The stingray was seen on the left side. We were taken to the beach in an open aired bus. The dispatcher made sure to squeeze five people into each row. The published price was $11 a person. Once we made it to the beach the driver charged us $10 if we would ride back with him. We told him the time we wanted to leave and all but one family were there to ride back with him. Worked out very well!

[quote name='BBML1']We just returned from our cruise this past Sunday. We visited Sapphire Beach and LOVED it. My DH saw sea turtles, while our friends saw a stingray. The turtles where just beyond the rocks on the right side of the beach. The stingray was seen on the left side. We were taken to the beach in an open aired bus. The dispatcher made sure to squeeze five people into each row. The published price was $11 a person. Once we made it to the beach the driver charged us $10 if we would ride back with him. We told him the time we wanted to leave and all but one family were there to ride back with him. Worked out very well![/quote]

Wow that is awesome. If you went to the right just beyond the rocks, that's where we were. So sad we didn't see any sea turtles. :( I guess we'll have to try again. :D

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='mitsugirly']St Thomas

I was really skeptical about this island due to all the negative news reports after the shooting of the teenager from the cruise ship a few months ago and all the gang related violence taking place on this island. However, I’m SO glad I decided to go ahead with my plans for the island.

We knew before going on our cruise that we wanted to go places on our own by taxi instead of a tour service. Our plans were to visit Paradise Point first for pictures, then on to Sapphire for some snorkeling, then on to Maggens for a short period before heading back to the ship.

When we arrived at Paradise to get on the skylift, they were not open yet to my surprise. They did not open until 9am. It was only 8am. I was not only disappointed but shocked knowing that the ships come in this early, you would think that they would be open this early to make more money. We did buy our tickets on the ship (which is actually CHEAPER than purchasing them at the skylift box). Our cruise line also offered your money back if you didn’t use the tickets. WOW. The only time you would ever see that happen.

So, we decided to walk back to the port and catch a cab and go on with our plans to Sapphire Beach. A lady was there to take us to the beach. She waited until that van was OVER PACKED and people sitting on laps before she would leave. People in the van where complaining and saying “seriously you think you are going to fit more people in here-no way” only for her to get more people in the van. 4-5 people in a 3 person seat!

The driver was very talkative and talked about the island. She told us how they basically only rely on the cruise ships coming in to make a living. She stated how much it hurt them if a ship didn’t come in that day or rearranged their schedule. She told us that living in the “ghetto” would cost you no less than $250,000 per house and above. She said the nicer homes would cost you an average of 1 million. WOW.

She took us to Sapphire and dropped us off. Upon entering this beach area, all I can say is WOW!!! I had found Paradise finally! The beach was absolutely beautiful. The beach was lined with natural shade grape trees, clear blue water and white sandy beaches. We quickly put out things under a tree and claimed our area then headed out to the water. Instantly fish greeted us. I didn’t realize just how many where under there until I put on my mask and went under. They were SURROUNDING ME! They followed us all over the place. They were very friendly and would get right up in your face. I couldn’t believe it. We swam over to the shaded area that we knew were coral and started investigating. When my husband went under the first time, right in front of him was a jelly fish. I ran back and got my camera and started taking pictures. I found it very hard to focus on something that clear in clear water to begin with. It was a task and I wasn’t very happy with the results, but continued on exploring for fish. They were everywhere. So many different species, colors and types of fish and coral everywhere. We were absolutely amazed at this place.

I ran up and grabbed the box of fruit loops I had brought with me and began feeding the fish. They became our friends the rest of our visit and even took the food right out of my hand. It was amazing. We swam over to the right (in front of the Sapphire Beach Resort) and found even more types of fish. We snorkeled nonstop for hours only getting out a select few times to rest for about 10 min. When we did get out, we were exploring the sand and trees that were full of huge Iguana’s at that point looking down on us and watching us like a hawk. How amazing was that! The best of both worlds-sand and water animals!

I have to say hands down, this was the absolutely BEST beach I have ever been to. We decided right then and there that we not only wanted to come back someday soon, but we wanted to actually stay on the island for an extended visit (not just on a cruise ship). I was that impressed with this beach.

We had brought our own snorkeling tube and goggles, but I was having a problem with my goggles fogging up for some reason. My husband did not. We were also lacking the fins to be able to adventure out deeper. So we decided to rent the entire snorkeling package (which included everything you needed) and it was only $7. The hut also sold ice cold pop and beer that hit the spot. I mean ICE COLD. We spoke to the workers there for awhile and they commented on how much they LOVE their job there at the beach hut. What a wonderful way to spend your working day.

We snorkeled for awhile longer and decided that we had better head back toward the port if we wanted to try to squeeze in our trip to Paradise on the skylift. (As much as we hated the thought of EVER leaving this paradise)!!!

We quickly caught the skylift up to Paradise Point after only having to wait for 1 round of trams to pull in (there are 3 together-one set going up while one set comes down). It was beautiful up there. Breath taking. However, I was very disappointed that I had my camera on for HOURS non stop taking fish, beach, and Iguana pictures that my battery was now dead. I managed to get it to come on long enough to snap a picture, then it would die, then another picture, then it would die again. I did this several times before it would no longer turn on. We then order the famous Bushwacker drink. We were going to order food, but the waitress was taking FOREVER 1) giving us a menu 2) coming back for our drink order 3) coming back with our actual drinks then 4) coming back again to see what we wanted to order. This process was about ½ hour already. So we told her to forget the food, we’d just have our drinks. She acted very disturbed about this and rolled her eyes and walked away. It took another 15 minutes for me to flag her down to tell her we were still waiting on our check for the drinks. Then another 10 minutes to come back with the bill. Geesh. Either they need more help or different people. I did not find them friendly at all.

There was some type of parrot/bird show going on up there, but we did not have time to watch it since we had spent so much time just taking care of the drink situation. It was time to head back to the port and catch a few stores along the way before boarding again. The ride back down did take a little longer. We caught the 3rd tram that came up. But, they run every 7 min (the guy up at the top said 5 min to us so I’m not sure). Either way, it didn’t seem too long. Each lift holds 8 people per cabin. We noticed only 6 per cabin seem to be getting in. Had people been filling them the way they should, we would have been on much sooner.

All in all, we didn’t find really GOOD prices on tee-shirts there or any good discounts you would normally see in tourist spots. We got a tee for $18.99 and sun glasses for $20 (since my husband accidentally broke mine the first day on the cruise). We stopped in the jewelry stores to find that the prices they quoted us were outrageous compared to those on the ship.

My final conclusion: St Thomas is by far is a beautiful island of Paradise. I hate the thought of everything bad going on at the island and hope that things continue to improve in the months and years to come. It would really be ashamed if cruise ships stops coming to such a beautiful place. I really hope to visit again soon and actually stay on the island. I would still like to visit Maggens Bay. But if you want to go somewhere with excellent snorkeling and beautiful beaches, I highly recommend Sapphire!!

If you have any questions that I might be able to answer, I'd be happy to try.

Here are some picture I took while I was there. Enjoy!

[URL]http://kimbakerphotography.smugmug.com/Vacation/4th-day-St-Maarten-1/13875332_BZdcm#1017703050_nhpoV[/URL][/QUOTE]

Very nice photos! Very pretty...

Were there many jellyfish? DH has a bad reaction to coral so I assume it'd be the same with jellyfish stings...

Could we enjoy just swimming if we do not want to snorkel-? ( I have been having "swimmers ear problems" so may not be able to go under water)

[quote name='blue_water']Trunk is a nicer beach. Sapphire is a fine beach with decent snorkeling, but Trunk is nicer than any STT beach and is more comparable to the beaches of the BVI.[/QUOTE]

Have not been to both , but I do not think anything will ever surpass our experience at Trunk Bay..it was awesome. But this was several years ago--so I do not know present conditions there.

This April , we did a similar marked snorkel trail on St Croix at Buck Island but we did not enjoy it...it was off a boat & a very narrow trail-- (also a very long bus ride & then boat ride to get to the site) Did not see many fish or outstanding coral.. Edited by hcat

hcat, yes Trunk is beautiful, we're just spoiled by the BVI. Not only the beauty but the vibe. But Trunk or Cinnamon is a great beach destination when on STT.

For those who are concerned about published reviews of the restrooms at the Sapphire Beach Resort & Marina these restrooms are fine for almost all travelers. For those who are looking for deluxe or high-end restrooms and changing rooms I can't recommend anyplace in the islands unfortunately. Many of the 4 & 5 star resorts in Mexico and some of the Carib islands have "over the top" changing and restroom facilities, but they don't offer day passes to cruisers.
We spent a week at the SBR&M and it's a very clean resort and the public restrooms and lobby are fine - by the end of the day they can be out of paper items and many tourists do not pick up after themselves, just as in the Sears and Applebee's bathrooms. But for the average day and average tourist no worries, and please do pick up after yourself on the beach and in the rest rooms. ;) Edited by blue_water

[quote name='hcat']Very nice photos! Very pretty...

Were there many jellyfish? DH has a bad reaction to coral so I assume it'd be the same with jellyfish stings...

Could we enjoy just swimming if we do not want to snorkel-? ( I have been having "swimmers ear problems" so may not be able to go under water)[/quote]

When we went no, I think we seen maybe 2 and I believe one of them was dead and just floating with the waves. It was not the harmful jelly fish with the long tentacles.

This is a picture of the only type of jelly fish we have ever encountered while snorkeling actually anywhere. (Although I wouldn't swim with them the way this person is doing in the picture...nor would I try to get around them to see if they would sting). LOL
[IMG]http://www.hemmy.net/images/bizarre/jellyfish01.jpg[/IMG]

The jelly fish that you should really watch out for are these ones:

[IMG]http://www.mrgadget.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/iphonejellyfish.jpg[/IMG]

[quote name='mitsugirly']When we went no, I think we seen maybe 2 and I believe one of them was dead and just floating with the waves. It was not the harmful jelly fish with the long tentacles.

[/quote]

FWIW, a dead jellyfish can and will sting you. Even one that got chopped up by a propeller or washed up on the beach can sting.

If you can't identify the species, it's best to just avoid them. Some are harmless, some are annoyances, and a few can kill you.

I don't think I've seen a single jellyfish near STT. YMMV.