My review of Sapphire Beach & Paradise Point

mitsugirly

BTW....I find it very interesting when even local tour companies stop going to a place due to poor facilities.....Godfrey Tours now included this message right on the front page of their web-site:

"Sapphire Beach is open, but the restaurant and bar on the beach have been closed for a long time. Restrooms are not maintained, dirty and in bad condition. Godfrey Tours will not take any guest to Sapphire Beach until this problem is solved".

Actually we went with a private tour company and went to SB. Do you know that the private tour people get a kickback from the "special shopping stores" they take you to, restaurants, beaches, etc. Maybe Godfrey gets more money back from where he now goes?

Wow - so sounds like this might be a good place to visit for a day of swimming/snorkelling - but don't expect too much and DEFINITELY don't stay there for a 'vacation'!

Yes I would agree

we had a great day trip from our last weeks cruise and great views

but I would probable not stay here for a week. Only because airfair for 1 person costs more then 2 people on a cruise.

But if I did stay here cheap or free I would just use it as a spot to tour other CLOSE BY Islands and Free ATT phone etc.

been to St Thomas twice and went to a different beach each time will go to another beach next year/time I go Maybe Coki,Trunk,Cinnamon Bay, or whatever then go back to the one I like after viewing them all :)

the Bathrooms I really don't care about it's not like Im taking a bath in there.

I did take a few pics of the bathrooms just to show the exterior plumbing (since they don't have freezing weather)

I still need to post some pics soon

34042522599979525411626.jpg

33381022598929099151626.jpg

32730422598644692041626.jpg

Edited by S.Jersey Adventure

won't let me edit anymore so --

$16 BUCKET BEERS (SIX BEERS) - I have more pics will post more of the beach this is last week 9-28-2011

views of BVI and St John in the background - We are sitting under a tree Great SHade not hot since there is always a nice breeze - water very warm PERFECT

pics are from my Cell phone (ATT INFUSE) - I uploaded them live to Facebook from the beach ATT phone calls and data free since its US Territory

pics are actually downsized to fit the screen

34042522599979525411626.jpg

IMHO, trip advisor reviewers are very, very grouchy.:mad: And the format does not allow anyone to ask questions or clear up misinformation.

BTW, Sapphire is a condo property. People put their units with a hotel management company. That is why the units differ.

IMHO, trip advisor reviewers are very, very grouchy.:mad: And the format does not allow anyone to ask questions or clear up misinformation.

BTW, Sapphire is a condo property. People put their units with a hotel management company. That is why the units differ.

I don't find trip advisor reviewers grouchy - they are the same as cruise reviewers :D:D...and you can ask questions - if you 'expand' the details (click on more at bottom of each review) - there is a link at the end you can click on to ask the 'poster/reviewer' any questions - there are also forums on trip advisor where you can ask questions as well!

I don't find trip advisor reviewers grouchy - they are the same as cruise reviewers :D:D...and you can ask questions - if you 'expand' the details (click on more at bottom of each review) - there is a link at the end you can click on to ask the 'poster/reviewer' any questions - there are also forums on trip advisor where you can ask questions as well!

I find them to be just like everywhere else too. Those that are grouchy will post the worse review ever. Those that make the best of everything will post both the good and bad, but will still be satisfied.

I post reviews on there all the time and have had A LOT of people contact me with questions. :D

Thanks mitsu

your review was great and I would have never really know about Sapphire and how nice it was without your review and great pics.:)

now I have to figure out to do a Western or a Southern next year HHmmm

Hmmm

this

WESTERN $369 Carnival Liberty Cozumel, Mexico | Belize | Roatan, Honduras | Georgetown, Grand Cayman

or this

SOUTHERN $539 Carnival Freedom Grand Turk,| La Romana, Dominican Republic | Curacao, Caribbean | Aruba, Caribbean

never did a Western We Like Beaches and also always looking for the nice ones

Thanks mitsu

your review was great and I would have never really know about Sapphire and how nice it was without your review and great pics.:)

now I have to figure out to do a Western or a Southern next year HHmmm

Hmmm

this

WESTERN Cozumel, Mexico | Belize | Roatan, Honduras | Georgetown, Grand Cayman $369

or this

SOUTHERN Grand Turk,| La Romana, Dominican Republic | Curacao, Caribbean | Aruba, Caribbean $539

southern about $150 more pp never did a Western We Like Beaches and also ways looking for the nice ones

So does this mean that you already went there or going there still? What did you think if you did go there? I thought it was a little slice of heaven. :)

We just did the western cruise (with Cozumel, Belize, Roatan and Costa Maya)...if have awhile...you are welcome to read my reviews on them if you are looking for things to do on the western side. :D

Roatan zip lining: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1469343

Roatan West Bay beach for snorkeling: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1469343

(A link to snorkeling on West Bay-ours wasn't as good just because of the previous 3 days of rainy weather prior to us arriving, but we still wasn't disappointed) http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1469343

Belize: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1469343

Cozumel, Chankanaab: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=30683350&postcount=59

Cozumel, Dolphins: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=30692077&postcount=65

Just so you know...Chankanaab is our little slice of heaven in Cozumel for the western side. WANT TO GO BACK NOW!!! Beautiful!! GREAT snorkeling.

As for the Southern caribbean, looks like I might be doing that next year. (I had planned on doing a Bermuda cruise, but now that we just found out today that the brand new ship NCL is building currently and sailing for 2013 is going to Bermuda, we are postponing the Bermuda trip for 2013). Time to start looking into southern (unless we do another western or eastern with a different itinerary that what we've done). :D

also being from NJ, is Saphire the typical jersey beach? we will be in st. thomas next month and planned on going there. we are not looking for anything hi end. we don't really snorkle. if anything, just put on the mask. just looking for a nice CLEAN beach, clear water, drinks and maybe a bite to eat.

Not sure what you mean by typical: NJ seawater is different than Caribbean seawater. As you know, the general facilities look under repair but the beach itself is beautiful. Crystal clear water, not very many waves, easy entry. It's shallow a long way out. You can walk into the water and fish will surround you. The view is beautiful.

I had an excellent bloody mary there; rum drinks were good also. We got fish sandwiches for lunch; they came with chips, really good.

Bathrooms are functional but I always advise bring your own tp and hand wipes/sanitizer just in case. There was water but no soap.

It was a relaxing day and plenty of cabs lined up outside when you are ready to leave.

The restrooms at Sapphire are really small and I think were put in for the convenience of the hotel guests and condo owners. Now that Sapphire's "been discovered" those bathrooms aren't sufficient. But only someone who can recoup their investment is going to add more restrooms, and right now, nobody's been able to figure out how to do that. So the poster who said bring your own tp and sanitizer is a very smart traveler, IMO.

I haven't seen a beach in the Caribbean yet that looks like a Jersey beach. Far fewer people. Bluer water. Trees close to the shore. Bluer skies. Usually islands in the distance. If there's a Jersey beach that has these qualities, please name it so I can visit.

• 2 months later...
St Thomas

I was really skeptical about this island due to all the negative news reports after the shooting of the teenager from the cruise ship a few months ago and all the gang related violence taking place on this island. However, I’m SO glad I decided to go ahead with my plans for the island.

We knew before going on our cruise that we wanted to go places on our own by taxi instead of a tour service. Our plans were to visit Paradise Point first for pictures, then on to Sapphire for some snorkeling, then on to Maggens for a short period before heading back to the ship.

When we arrived at Paradise to get on the skylift, they were not open yet to my surprise. They did not open until 9am. It was only 8am. I was not only disappointed but shocked knowing that the ships come in this early, you would think that they would be open this early to make more money. We did buy our tickets on the ship (which is actually CHEAPER than purchasing them at the skylift box). Our cruise line also offered your money back if you didn’t use the tickets. WOW. The only time you would ever see that happen.

So, we decided to walk back to the port and catch a cab and go on with our plans to Sapphire Beach. A lady was there to take us to the beach. She waited until that van was OVER PACKED and people sitting on laps before she would leave. People in the van where complaining and saying “seriously you think you are going to fit more people in here-no way” only for her to get more people in the van. 4-5 people in a 3 person seat!

The driver was very talkative and talked about the island. She told us how they basically only rely on the cruise ships coming in to make a living. She stated how much it hurt them if a ship didn’t come in that day or rearranged their schedule. She told us that living in the “ghetto” would cost you no less than $250,000 per house and above. She said the nicer homes would cost you an average of 1 million. WOW.

She took us to Sapphire and dropped us off. Upon entering this beach area, all I can say is WOW!!! I had found Paradise finally! The beach was absolutely beautiful. The beach was lined with natural shade grape trees, clear blue water and white sandy beaches. We quickly put out things under a tree and claimed our area then headed out to the water. Instantly fish greeted us. I didn’t realize just how many where under there until I put on my mask and went under. They were SURROUNDING ME! They followed us all over the place. They were very friendly and would get right up in your face. I couldn’t believe it. We swam over to the shaded area that we knew were coral and started investigating. When my husband went under the first time, right in front of him was a jelly fish. I ran back and got my camera and started taking pictures. I found it very hard to focus on something that clear in clear water to begin with. It was a task and I wasn’t very happy with the results, but continued on exploring for fish. They were everywhere. So many different species, colors and types of fish and coral everywhere. We were absolutely amazed at this place.

I ran up and grabbed the box of fruit loops I had brought with me and began feeding the fish. They became our friends the rest of our visit and even took the food right out of my hand. It was amazing. We swam over to the right (in front of the Sapphire Beach Resort) and found even more types of fish. We snorkeled nonstop for hours only getting out a select few times to rest for about 10 min. When we did get out, we were exploring the sand and trees that were full of huge Iguana’s at that point looking down on us and watching us like a hawk. How amazing was that! The best of both worlds-sand and water animals!

I have to say hands down, this was the absolutely BEST beach I have ever been to. We decided right then and there that we not only wanted to come back someday soon, but we wanted to actually stay on the island for an extended visit (not just on a cruise ship). I was that impressed with this beach.

We had brought our own snorkeling tube and goggles, but I was having a problem with my goggles fogging up for some reason. My husband did not. We were also lacking the fins to be able to adventure out deeper. So we decided to rent the entire snorkeling package (which included everything you needed) and it was only $7. The hut also sold ice cold pop and beer that hit the spot. I mean ICE COLD. We spoke to the workers there for awhile and they commented on how much they LOVE their job there at the beach hut. What a wonderful way to spend your working day.

We snorkeled for awhile longer and decided that we had better head back toward the port if we wanted to try to squeeze in our trip to Paradise on the skylift. (As much as we hated the thought of EVER leaving this paradise)!!!

We quickly caught the skylift up to Paradise Point after only having to wait for 1 round of trams to pull in (there are 3 together-one set going up while one set comes down). It was beautiful up there. Breath taking. However, I was very disappointed that I had my camera on for HOURS non stop taking fish, beach, and Iguana pictures that my battery was now dead. I managed to get it to come on long enough to snap a picture, then it would die, then another picture, then it would die again. I did this several times before it would no longer turn on. We then order the famous Bushwacker drink. We were going to order food, but the waitress was taking FOREVER 1) giving us a menu 2) coming back for our drink order 3) coming back with our actual drinks then 4) coming back again to see what we wanted to order. This process was about ½ hour already. So we told her to forget the food, we’d just have our drinks. She acted very disturbed about this and rolled her eyes and walked away. It took another 15 minutes for me to flag her down to tell her we were still waiting on our check for the drinks. Then another 10 minutes to come back with the bill. Geesh. Either they need more help or different people. I did not find them friendly at all.

There was some type of parrot/bird show going on up there, but we did not have time to watch it since we had spent so much time just taking care of the drink situation. It was time to head back to the port and catch a few stores along the way before boarding again. The ride back down did take a little longer. We caught the 3rd tram that came up. But, they run every 7 min (the guy up at the top said 5 min to us so I’m not sure). Either way, it didn’t seem too long. Each lift holds 8 people per cabin. We noticed only 6 per cabin seem to be getting in. Had people been filling them the way they should, we would have been on much sooner.

All in all, we didn’t find really GOOD prices on tee-shirts there or any good discounts you would normally see in tourist spots. We got a tee for $18.99 and sun glasses for $20 (since my husband accidentally broke mine the first day on the cruise). We stopped in the jewelry stores to find that the prices they quoted us were outrageous compared to those on the ship.

My final conclusion: St Thomas is by far is a beautiful island of Paradise. I hate the thought of everything bad going on at the island and hope that things continue to improve in the months and years to come. It would really be ashamed if cruise ships stops coming to such a beautiful place. I really hope to visit again soon and actually stay on the island. I would still like to visit Maggens Bay. But if you want to go somewhere with excellent snorkeling and beautiful beaches, I highly recommend Sapphire!!

If you have any questions that I might be able to answer, I'd be happy to try.

Here are some picture I took while I was there. Enjoy!

http://kimbakerphotography.smugmug.com/Vacation/4th-day-St-Maarten-1/13875332_BZdcm#1017703050_nhpoV

Thanks so much for sharing comments and pictures!!!

We will be in St. Thomas next month on the Explorer of the Seas and would like to go to a beach.

a. Which beach is closest - cant you get there by walking or taxi?

b. Does that beach have decent/good shore snorkeling? Do they rent equipment?

We would like to do some beach time in morning, lunch on-board and then a little shopping at the market right outside the port.

Thanks for any info you can give me.

Mara

Several threads here that address all of your questions, you can use the search function.

Where are you docked? That will affect some of the answers.

I've read this whole thread and have gotten some good advice about finding a quiet spot for snorkeling and I hope I can make it to Sapphire Beach...so thanks for that :)

My question (I did a search and didn't see any info) is that on our Allure cruise, it says we dock in Charlotte Amaile (sp?)... is Sapphire still the beach of choice or is that too far away from where we will be docked?

If you dock at Crown Bay rather than Havensight Emerald Beach is closer and many folks go there. I would go to Sapphire myself, it's a 20 - 30 minute, $8 - 10 taxi each way so you have plenty of time to enjoy the beach and water. It's the best choice for a beach day on the island in my opinion unless you want a more active vibe then head for Coki which is nearby. Magens Bay is another option but we prefer Sapphire.

Here's a recent thread comparing Coki and Sapphire that may or may not help -

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=31749552&posted=1#post31749552

I've read this whole thread and have gotten some good advice about finding a quiet spot for snorkeling and I hope I can make it to Sapphire Beach...so thanks for that :)

My question (I did a search and didn't see any info) is that on our Allure cruise, it says we dock in Charlotte Amaile (sp?)... is Sapphire still the beach of choice or is that too far away from where we will be docked?

You could still go to Sapphire. There were people there from the Oasis the day we were there. It's just a longer cab ride, but I wouldn't imagine it would be too bad or much more.

Here is a picture of all the ships docked that day (we had 3 of the biggest ships there-at the time we went-which was Epic, Oasis, Carnival Dream and another). You can see the 3 ships docked at Havensight and the Oasis in the upper half of the picture (over the hill) at Crown Bay:

1017715128_E6MEZ-M.jpg

Oasis may be a little hard to spot because it is turned facing us.

You could still go to Sapphire. There were people there from the Oasis the day we were there. It's just a longer cab ride, but I wouldn't imagine it would be too bad or much more.

Here is a picture of all the ships docked that day (we had 3 of the biggest ships there-at the time we went-which was Epic, Oasis, Carnival Dream and another). You can see the 3 ships docked at Havensight and the Oasis in the upper half of the picture (over the hill) at Crown Bay:

1017715128_E6MEZ-M.jpg

Oasis may be a little hard to spot because it is turned facing us.

Nice picture! Would you still recommend Sapphire over Magens Bay?