Auto Parking in LA

VegasPier

I will be sailing on the Golden Princess in April of next year. I’m considering driving to the port in LA. I would love to hear from those that have parked their car at the pier for this 14 day cruise. Where, when, how much, etc…

Cheers, VegasPier.

These might help:

http://www.cruisecenterparking.com/

http://www.princess.com/downloads/pdf/embarkation_port_guides/Los_Angeles_Info.pdf

Can't add anything personal about parking there, but have not heard complaints.

Thanks. Those web sites just about cover all my questions.

Maybe someone that has used that parking facility will post their experiences.

Cheers, VegasPier

If you are diving over from LAS the day before both the Crowne Plaza and the Double Tree Inn have stay and cruise packagers. If you bid your room thru Priceline the Crowne Plaza parking rate is $10/day and you can park at the DTI for free. Both hotels offer a free shuttle to and from the pier and to restaurants and attractions within 5 miles of the hotel. I recall that with the DTI's stay and cruise package, by the time I backed out the cost of parking, the two breakfasts and the bottle of wine...well the room was free and I still had the nice warm chewy chocolate cookies. Just more grist for the mill.:)

We're sailing the same itinerary in November on the Golden & explored options to get to the pier about an hour from our house.

We considered a shuttle ($152) or parking at the pier ($168) but opted for the 3rd option to stay at the harborfront Doubletree Hotel San Pedro for $193.

They have a package where you park your car in their lot & they take you by shuttle to & from the pier.

Here's a couple of links:

http://www.princess.com/downloads/pdf/embarkation_port_guides/Los_Angeles_Info.pdf

http://doubletree1.hilton.com/en_US/dt/hotel/LGBSPDT-Doubletree-Hotel-San-Pedro-California/index.do

If you haven't sailed between LA & Hawaii at that time of the year the crossing can be rather cool but the temperatures in the Islands should be great...probably about the mid-80s.

Have a great cruise! :D

Parking was safe & easy but they only use the lower level of the pier since 9-11. We drop off our bags then park & walk to the pier...no more than 5 minute walk.

Be aware that you may embark & disembark from different piers. So you might park close to the embarkation pier but be further away from the disembarkation pier. Recently we were the 3rd ship arriving so we didn't tie up at either of the 2 regular piers but at a covered tent. Customs & immigration were overloaded which slowed down the process but still not too bad.

Our experiences for check-in have been very smooth & quick...hope you'll have the same experience.

We're happy with our decision to stay at the hotel & use their shuttle to & from the pier.

Thanks. Those web sites just about cover all my questions.

Maybe someone that has used that parking facility will post their experiences.

Cheers, VegasPier

We parked there in March, 2009. We arrived at 10;15am and the parking lot was almost empty! Disembarkation must have been very fast! We got a great parking spot! :D I wish we lived closer, we thought it was a great place to sail from, seemed very organized.

Parking was safe & easy but they only use the lower level of the pier since 9-11. We drop off our bags then park & walk to the pier...no more than 5 minute walk.

Be aware that you may embark & disembark from different piers. So you might park close to the embarkation pier but be further away from the disembarkation pier. Recently we were the 3rd ship arriving so we didn't tie up at either of the 2 regular piers but at a covered tent. Customs & immigration were overloaded which slowed down the process but still not too bad.

Our experiences for check-in have been very smooth & quick...hope you'll have the same experience.

We're happy with our decision to stay at the hotel & use their shuttle to & from the pier.

The OP was asking about LA (San Pedro). There is no upper deck there. It is all surface parking.

We Stayed at the Crowne Plaza and did their stay and parking package. Their shuttle was a crazy madhouse, so we drove our bags over to the pier, off loaded, drove back and parked the car at the Crowne then walked back to the pier. All before their first shuttle left the hotel. Very simple and a short walk. Also, their were 3 ships in port the sunday we left and the parking lots had plenty of spots, plus their are more spaces under the big green bridge next to the pier.

The OP was asking about LA (San Pedro). There is no upper deck there. It is all surface parking.

You're correct that it's all ground level parking however I was referring to how to drop off bags.

I was hoping to eliminate any confusion when they drive to the pier because there's an upper level on the original pier where passengers could be dropped off prior to 9-11.

We have sailed from the port of LA six times between 1994 and 2005. The first five times we parked there without any problems. The only reason we hired a car service to take us there and pick us up was because we had 15 days worth of luggage -- and neither of our car trunk's weren't big enough to carry all that. But we hope to use our ancient van for the next time (hubby has done some repairs on it, and plans to install another seat -- there's just two in it currently).

Here's how you get to your berth: get off the Harbor freeway at the Harbor Blvd. exit and STAY in the middle lane on the off ramp (whether coming from the south or the north, unless I'm mistaken, we are coming from the north). When you get the green light, drive across Harbor Blvd. into the World Cruise Center. Follow the other vehicles til you get to a guard booth, and you'll see a sign listing each cruiseship that's in port that day and what berth it's in. You'll drive up to that berth (maybe 91, 92, 93). You can let off your passengers and luggage right there. Then drive down to the parking lot, park, and either walk back up or jump on the shuttle. (the last time I was there for a cruiseship tour, I parked close enough to walk)

It's very easy and your car should be safe. I haven't heard of anyone having a problem with parking their car there.

Archived