Should I wait to buy a rain coat?

Dawnyy99

I keep hearing how cheap all the outer wear is in Alaska. I'm doing a land tour then the cruise. I really don't have a decent rain coat.

I have heard that they sell fleece lined rain coats for 2 for $38.00...what a great price!!

Should I get something ahead of time? I will be in Alaska the end of May into the beginning of June.

Thanks for your help!

The shops are full of rain gear but I can't vouch for the quality. However I would advise against a fleece lined jacket unless it zips out...if the jacket does leak, or the rain comes down your neck and into the fleece the jacket can prove very hard to dry in your cabin bathroom. You are much better to have a separate fleece plus a rain shell to wear over it.

We bought for $7.99 each a pants and jacket rain suit that came in it own carry case. It is thin plastic that will allow you to put on layers and remove what is needed as the day goes on. Ie: stops raining or gets warmer. They are in the mesh carry case a size of 8 x 6 inches allowing easy packing and carrying. We had NO ran and highs in the 70f & 65f in Alaska two weeks ago!!!!!

I bought a poncho for our trip last yr. It folded up into a little mesh bag that fit nicely on the side of my daypack. I always travel with a small pack so that my stuff (camera,binoculars,wallet,sweater, etc) are in one place. The extra benefit to the poncho was that it also covered the daypack and kept it dry. Hangs up in the shower easily to dry.

The poncho will keep you dry between the pier and the store instead of gouging out someone's eye with an umbrella!

The poncho will keep you dry between the pier and the store instead of gouging out someone's eye with an umbrella!

Leave the freaking umbrellas at home!! No real Alaskan would be caught dead with one. They are nothing but a pain.

Leave the freaking umbrellas at home!! No real Alaskan would be caught dead with one. They are nothing but a pain.

Oh, I saw the topper, bearbait. Someone on the Nugget Falls trail with one. And lots of East Coast style overcoats, like a banker would wear over his suit. It was completely surreal. All the people talking on their cell phones while they 'hiked' would have been surreal too, but it was just depressing.

And lots of East Coast style overcoats, like a banker would wear over his suit.

I took my mini-trench coat and wore it over my fleece jacket on the day or two that I wanted extra protection from the wind. (You know we didn't need it for the rain!) It worked out just fine and I make no apologies for it. :rolleyes:

To the OP, I don't know how good the bargains will be at the start of the season when you're going. I took all my outerwear with me even though I'd read about the great deals we'd find (last RCCL cruise of the season). I did get a hooded fleece pullover for $18 (originally $42) that I like. I only got it because I loved the color of it - it wasn't that I needed it. :p

I took my mini-trench coat and wore it over my fleece jacket on the day or two that I wanted extra protection from the wind. (You know we didn't need it for the rain!) It worked out just fine and I make no apologies for it. :rolleyes:

So when I try to get into a trendy East Coast restaurant in a flannel shirt, Carhartt's and rubber boots I'll ignore the pointing and laughing because it works for me.

We give this advice because we live here. Umbrellas are ridiculous not because they look silly but because of our sideways rain and gusting winds. The same goes for any sort of long, lightweight overcoat.

There an interesting little note at the glacier. There was a bear fishing in the creek and the nearly hysterical park ranger warned against opening an umbrella. I guess they frighten the bears?

So when I try to get into a trendy East Coast restaurant in a flannel shirt, Carhartt's and rubber boots I'll ignore the pointing and laughing because it works for me.

We give this advice because we live here. Umbrellas are ridiculous not because they look silly but because of our sideways rain and gusting winds. The same goes for any sort of long, lightweight overcoat.

There an interesting little note at the glacier. There was a bear fishing in the creek and the nearly hysterical park ranger warned against opening an umbrella. I guess they frighten the bears?

I never said anything about umbrellas. I left mine at home. In fact, I never travel with an umbrella.

My mini-trench (hits mid-way between the hips and knees) is like most full-length trench coats - water repellant with a button-out, warm lining. That's what makes them wearable 3/4 of the year in the Northeast - or Midwest...or just about anywhere for that matter. Serves the same purpose as a poncho - just a bit nicer looking. I'm NOT telling folks to go out and get a trench for their Alaska trip. I'm just saying that mine worked for me.

As far as "pointing and laughing" - if that's what you were doing with me on our day at Mendenhall, then that's a reflection on you - not on me or what I was wearing.

I never said anything about umbrellas. I left mine at home. In fact, I never travel with an umbrella.

But another poster did mention umbrellas. This thread is not about you and whether or not locals are judging your choices.

And I'm not pointing at anyone. I'm snickering discretely behind my hand. I feel exactly the same when I'm traveling in Europe and can spot Americans by their big white shoes, fanny packs and college sweatshirts. As a traveler, part of the fun for me is learning about the culture before I leave and being respectful and mindful of their lifestyle.

To me, it's sort of like birdwatching in a blind rather than blundering through the woods, making all the birds fly away. Until you've had the population of your hometown swell by 30% with people wearing plastic garbage bags as ponchos, I suppose you can't understand what I'm trying to say. I appreciate that many posters here ask what clothing choices will work best for the environment.

Anyway, wear your trench coat in peace!

Everybody is different, but the last thing I want to do while in Alaska is waste my time in the tourist junk shops searching for a suitable raincoat. My suggestion is to have all that stuff taken care of before you go so you can spend your time in Alaska seeing the things that make Alaska unique. You can see the inside of a shopping center while at home.

Just my 2 cents.

Oh, I saw the topper, bearbait. Someone on the Nugget Falls trail with one. And lots of East Coast style overcoats, like a banker would wear over his suit. It was completely surreal. All the people talking on their cell phones while they 'hiked' would have been surreal too, but it was just depressing.

OK I am from the East Coast and wear a trench coat over my banker's suit and I am also laughing at the image of someone wearing that in Alaska. :D It's not that it's wrong it just seems out of place and it's what makes it funny.

My take on this is if you are spending thousands on airfare and cruise, how much do you want to budget to be comfortable.

There is the outside chance you will get clear and sunny day on EVERY day on your trip, really do you feel that lucky?

IMHO what do you think the quality of the cheap ponchos and 10 buck rain gear will be, is that what you want to be wearing? What has your experience been on getting quality for nothing?

I'd choose to have decent REI/LandEnd or Eddie Bauer wear, yes you pay a little more but it will last and be comfortable.

Enjoy your trip.

I keep hearing how cheap all the outer wear is in Alaska. I'm doing a land tour then the cruise. I really don't have a decent rain coat.

I have heard that they sell fleece lined rain coats for 2 for $38.00...what a great price!!

Should I get something ahead of time? I will be in Alaska the end of May into the beginning of June.

Thanks for your help!

IMHO waiting till you arrive at your destination to purchase something that is essential for your enjoyment and comfort is a huge waste of time and money. DH forced me to shop for his cruise clothing on our one full day in Tampa, pre-Caribbean. Never again -- either he is prepared when we leave home, or he can suck it up and wear what he already owns. So instead of enjoying some of Tampa, we schlepped from store to store, trying to find what he needed. Nice. Those "sale" shorts probably cost us $50/hour. :( I feel exactly the same way about clothing for Alaska -- have it before you go, and don't waste precious time shopping once there.

Our first port was Ketchikan. If we had waited until we got there to purchase rain jackets, we would have been drenched walking from the cruise ship to the stores. I agree with the others who said to come prepared with all you anticipate needing.

I emphasize waterproof rather than water repellant. My DH decided to take his water repellant jacket to Hawaii this past May. He got soaked!!! He left behind the waterproof jacket he had bought for ALaska. It only rained for half a day in HI, but enough to drench him.

I saw cheap prices for warm winter coats in Alaskan ports but no quality rain coats. Buy that before you go and be safe - get one with a hood. You want to spend the bucks to get a quality waterproof one - even the seams. I bought one by Columbia from Cabellas and it kept me dry and comfy in the rains we encountered. It's long and covers up my backside which I was thankful for as I walked along in the pouring rain! Go prepared.

Archived