E-Cig onboard

I like the way "studies" show how much money the smokers are costing this country. On the contrary, this country would lose billions without the taxes people pay on tobacco products.

A Penn State University study showed that the cost to society from health care costs and lost productivity is $301 billion per year. In Tennessee alone the cost to that state's health care costs equates to $20.32 per pack.(the price per pack in that state is $4.84). Tell us again how eliminating smoking will ruin our economy.

I would not expect the FDA to say anything positive as long as the country is getting tax revenue from the old tobacco cigarettes....as soon as Uncle Sam figures out a way to tax E-cigs....then the FDA will be all for them!

I am not a smoker, but I am thrilled that it seems now that folks have a viable option.

I think you're exactly right.

I agree with vermonter, LHP is EXACTLY right. :)

The day the number of us "vapors" takes on any significance, the government, true to form, will put a tax on it. The tax will "ironically" probably be promoted by the tobacco people that make much more off cigarettes today than they'll ever make off providing e-juice where the NICOTINE CONTENT can be controlled by the USER.

I would not expect the FDA to say anything positive as long as the country is getting tax revenue from the old tobacco cigarettes....as soon as Uncle Sam figures out a way to tax E-cigs....then the FDA will be all for them!

I am not a smoker, but I am thrilled that it seems now that folks have a viable option.

I agree with this.

The FDA issues are done now, e-cigarettes are not considered a "drug delivery system" (as the FDA originally asserted), they are in the same class as tobacco products.

What the court actually decided, and the FDA decided not to appeal, is that e-cigarettes and other products made or derived from tobacco can be regulated as “tobacco products” under the Act and are not drugs/devices unless they are marketed for therapeutic purposes. ...

"Chapter IX of the FD&C Act subjects “tobacco products” to general controls, such as registration, product listing, ingredient listing, good manufacturing practice requirements, user fees for certain products, and adulteration and misbranding provisions. Chapter IX also subjects “new tobacco products” (i.e., products that are first marketed or modified after February 15, 2007) and “modified risk tobacco products” (i.e., products that are “sold or distributed for use to reduce harm or the risk of tobacco-related disease associated with commercially marketed tobacco products”) to premarket review."

http://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/PublicHealthFocus/ucm252360.htm

In other words, unless marketed as therapeutic, e-cigs makers don't have to prove that their products are "safe and effective" as they would with a drug, but they do have to meet other requirements and will often have to get pre-marketing approval.

If the state governments lose tax money because people are not buying cigarettes, they will find a way to make up the tax money someplace else.

I do not smoke, but I have watched family and friends struggle for years to stop smoking, and it is astounding how many of you say you have succeeded through using e-cigs. Good for you!

• 1 year later...
They already are allowed:D. Including on airplanes. Yes, we used them on the plane. When you buy the cigarette it comes with a little card to show any body questioning it.

It is the entire purpose of the cigarette.

Hmmm .... I just bought the V2 e-cig and I didn't get any card. I'm still so initimidated by these types of people, I'd probably cringe!! That's why I asked how the reception of these things are. Just got it, seems to be working well and it will be nice not to have to worry about smoking while traveling! We're sailing in September. It's really sad when you think about it. But, it's always been that way .... fall dead drunk on your face drunk ..... while acting like a jerk and it's okay .... light up a cigarette and they are ready to nail you to the cross!!! :rolleyes:

Archived