E-Cig onboard

I've been considering buying an e-cig kit.

On our local news tonight, there was a piece about the e-cigs. Seems the "juice" (sorry, don't know the proper word for it) contains ethylene glycol...the chemical in antifreeze.

The news reader said that the FDA is considering banning them and that they were already banned in Canada and Australia until long term studies can be conducted.

Anybody have any more info about this?

On our local news tonight, there was a piece about the e-cigs. Seems the "juice" (sorry, don't know the proper word for it) contains ethylene glycol...the chemical in antifreeze.

The news reader said that the FDA is considering banning them and that they were already banned in Canada and Australia until long term studies can be conducted.

It's propylene glycol, it's used in inhaled asthma medications, foods, injectable medications, and it's also the new "greener" non-toxic component in some antifreeze brands (and hundreds of other uses).

The FDA recently ruled that e-cigarettes will be treated as a tobacco containing product.

Personally, I wouldn't over think this. The FDA approves lots and lots of drugs that cause grave harm....then they decide to pull them from the market after the unfortunate people who took them suffered the effects. I wouldn't use the FDA's approval as my basis for decision whether to use an e-cig or not.

They are probably holding back on the e-cig approval due to political and social concerns; i.e., if they approve something that is related to "smoking," it could cause an uproar in the social and political sectors. What's nuts about this is that the FDA has approved nicorette gum and patches containing nicotine. I guess it's fine with them that people consume nicotine through gum and patches. But if the means of consuming nicotine looks like a cigarette, that's just too close to home for them. :confused:

The FDA has approved morphine, medical marijuana, pharmaceutical grade cocaine and heroin. Did you know there is a pharmaceutical grade grain alcohol? There's so much more to this FDA approval craziness that most people aren't aware of. The pharmaceutical industry is in charge and don't ever think different. If Merck or Abbott or Johnson & Johnson (as examples only) begin manufacturing the "juice" used in e-cigs, I can guarantee you they will be FDA approved in a New York minute.

If it doesn't sound like it makes sense, then it doesn't make sense.

On our local news tonight, there was a piece about the e-cigs. Seems the "juice" (sorry, don't know the proper word for it) contains ethylene glycol...the chemical in antifreeze. So does ice cream

The news reader said that the FDA is considering banning them and that they were already banned in Canada and Australia until long term studies can be conducted. Not yet, as in some areas of our government, COMMON SENSE still prevails . . . got to be better than the crap that's in reg cigs.

To many "vapors" have dumped analogs (reg cigs). There would be an uproar beyond description. I do, however, expect the govt to get in the game of taxing the crap out of it, as they always do for any idea that catches on.

Personally, I wouldn't over think this. The FDA approves lots and lots of drugs that cause grave harm....then they decide to pull them from the market after the unfortunate people who took them suffered the effects. I wouldn't use the FDA's approval as my basis for decision whether to use an e-cig or not.

They are probably holding back on the e-cig approval due to political and social concerns; i.e., if they approve something that is related to "smoking," it could cause an uproar in the social and political sectors. What's nuts about this is that the FDA has approved nicorette gum and patches containing nicotine. I guess it's fine with them that people consume nicotine through gum and patches. But if the means of consuming nicotine looks like a cigarette, that's just too close to home for them. :confused:

All these "aids" you speak of deliver nicotine to the body in a less harmful method (than smoking analogs), just like the e-cig does. They come in different strengths and one can gradually "ease" off nicotine with constantly decreasing the strength of the "juice". Some even manage to eliminate completely the nicotine and just "vap" for the great flavors. The nicotine is essentially no more harmful than caffeine, but the additives in regular cigarettes contain the carcinogens that are so harmful.

The FDA has approved morphine, medical marijuana, pharmaceutical grade cocaine and heroin. Did you know there is a pharmaceutical grade grain alcohol? There's so much more to this FDA approval craziness that most people aren't aware of. The pharmaceutical industry is in charge and don't ever think different. If Merck or Abbott or Johnson & Johnson (as examples only) begin manufacturing the "juice" used in e-cigs, I can guarantee you they will be FDA approved in a New York minute.

If it doesn't sound like it makes sense, then it doesn't make sense.

To someone that's been smoking analogs for 55 years (and has spent a fortune trying to quit), this makes ABSOLUTE SENSE to me.:)

and I vape every where but Church

I vape in airports all the time. I've even "stealth" vaped onboard an airliner, but I wouldn't recommend that (too many people with psychosomatic triggers to cigs and they'll immediately go into their "dying from smoke" routine) :rolleyes:

I must correct myself. I mistakenly read propylene glycol in a Kenmo post several posts back. I'm sure he/she meant propylene glycol and not ethylene clycol. Propylene glycol is used in a variety of household products and is considered much safer than analog cigarettes (reg. cigs) :) See article below:

http://bestecigarette.com/truth-about-propylene-glycol/

I must correct myself. I mistakenly read propylene glycol in a Kenmo post several posts back. I'm sure he/she meant propylene glycol and not ethylene clycol. Propylene glycol is used in a variety of household products and is considered much safer than analog cigarettes (reg. cigs) :) See article below:

http://bestecigarette.com/truth-about-propylene-glycol/

I thought I heard ethylene glycol during the news.

I just went to the website to see if I heard wrong. But nope, they said ethylene. (Not that I necessarily believe them.)

Here's the link for anybody who's interested: http://www.kctv5.com/news/27955448/detail.html

I'm still going to give the e-cigs a try.

glrounds and DizzyDallas' posts make sense to me.

I

I'm still going to give the e-cigs a try.

glrounds and DizzyDallas' posts make sense to me.

Save yourself a lot of trouble, Kenmo. Instead of jumping around from e-cig to e-cig like I did, go straight to Totally Wicked (website below) and get the tank system (a little more expensive $89) and enjoy day long vaping without changing batteries and fill your own cartridges. Great website with tons of information, and incidentally, Totally Wicked uses ONLY USP Nicotine and ONLY USP Propylene Glycol.

http://www.totallywicked-eliquid.com/

Save yourself a lot of trouble, Kenmo. Instead of jumping around from e-cig to e-cig like I did, go straight to Totally Wicked (website below) and get the tank system (a little more expensive $89) and enjoy day long vaping without changing batteries and fill your own cartridges. Great website with tons of information, and incidentally, Totally Wicked uses ONLY USP Nicotine and ONLY USP Propylene Glycol.

http://www.totallywicked-eliquid.com/

As I posted previously, I went to greensmoke.com directly~ It's wonderful. :D No liquids and messes. It's 2 pieces..a battery and a "filter". After charges, you just put the filter on the battery portion and you're done. You can choose the type, vanilla, mocha, menthol and regular and you can choose the strength of nicotine you get..from 0 to 18 mgs...

Charge the battery and it's usually good for a day, depending on how much you smoke. I ordered a 2nd battery so I always have one ready.

I still smoke ''regular''', but way less. Hoping to smoke none in a couple of months, just e-cigs.

I don't "stink" from smoke and it doesn't bother my DH! It's wonderful and I highly recommend same. You just need to buy a couple of different 5 packs until you decide which mg works best and which flavor, if any, is for you.

Good luck and safe sails always!!!!

Quick, clean and no messy refills. Everytime you change the filter, it's fresh and clean...:)

As a smoker for 42 years using 2 packs a day in March I got an Ego-T and have only vaped since then it works for me but might not be for all.The flavors are great and you can mix your own as you like.

Ecigs are not banned in Australia only the sale of nicotine so you have to go Nic free or buy it off the net.

Sure that big brother government more interested in the loss of taxes than me giving up tobacco

Bob

As I posted previously, I went to greensmoke.com directly~ It's wonderful. :D No liquids and messes. It's 2 pieces..a battery and a "filter". After charges, you just put the filter on the battery portion and you're done. You can choose the type, vanilla, mocha, menthol and regular and you can choose the strength of nicotine you get..from 0 to 18 mgs...

Charge the battery and it's usually good for a day, depending on how much you smoke. I ordered a 2nd battery so I always have one ready.

I still smoke ''regular''', but way less. Hoping to smoke none in a couple of months, just e-cigs.

I don't "stink" from smoke and it doesn't bother my DH! It's wonderful and I highly recommend same. You just need to buy a couple of different 5 packs until you decide which mg works best and which flavor, if any, is for you.

Good luck and safe sails always!!!!

Quick, clean and no messy refills. Everytime you change the filter, it's fresh and clean...:)

The cartomizers (cartridges and atomizers in one piece) are the more expensive route to go since the atomizer gets thrown out every time you need liquid. I use the eGo -T (tank system) and the 510-T (tank system) and it only costs me about $20 a month to refill the tanks myself with good USA made liquid.

The cartomizers (cartridges and atomizers in one piece) are the more expensive route to go since the atomizer gets thrown out every time you need liquid. I use the eGo -T (tank system) and the 510-T (tank system) and it only costs me about $20 a month to refill the tanks myself with good USA made liquid.

Hi: Here's an update: Last ''real cigarette" was 1:00 p.m. on 5/30/11 :D I'm proud of me. Pretty soon I'll decrease from 12 mgs. to 6 and then 0...

Stay safe:)

I know someone who works at the FDA. She said that there is no real reason that the FDA not approve E-Cigs but there is a lot of political pressure not to. She said - she doesn't see them being approved any time at all soon.

I think it's ridiculous.... I have one more pack of cigs and then I'm going smoke free. Everyone says - why don't you just throw that pack away....nope, not doing it - I'm smoking them....there is only ten in the pack. I order them online though so I won't be placing anymore orders.

My husband had a heart attack in Feb and quadruple bypass in March. We've completely changed our lifestyle (by the way - he doesn't smoke) and my smoking is next on the list. He didn't ask me to quit and I only smoke outside but for me, I don't want to add insult to injury with my health. I'm going to die one day...but I don't want to die because I caused it.

I already have the e-cig that I got from vapor 4 life. I have several, plus several different flavors and strengths. I'm going to make sure they are all charged and ready to go here soon.

For all those that put smokers down and that put e-cig vapors down - take a look at what you're eating the next time. You may be killing yourself from the inside out by what's on your plate.

I would not expect the FDA to say anything positive as long as the country is getting tax revenue from the old tobacco cigarettes....as soon as Uncle Sam figures out a way to tax E-cigs....then the FDA will be all for them!

I am not a smoker, but I am thrilled that it seems now that folks have a viable option.

I would not expect the FDA to say anything positive as long as the country is getting tax revenue from the old tobacco cigarettes....as soon as Uncle Sam figures out a way to tax E-cigs....then the FDA will be all for them!

I think you're exactly right.

The FDA issues are done now, e-cigarettes are not considered a "drug delivery system" (as the FDA originally asserted), they are in the same class as tobacco products.

The nicotine in the liquid used in e-cigarettes comes from tobacco. It is extracted, and pure nicotine is mixed with either pharma (USP) grade propylene glycol or vegetable glycerin to dilute it. An average strength of nicotine liquid is 18 mg, or 1.8% pure nicotine, per ml of fluid. People use anywhere from 1 to 5 ml of fluid a day. Some equipment uses more liquid. The absorption rate is estimated at 10 to 40% (far less than smoking).

e-cigarettes are here to stay. Nearly all the hardware is made in China, but there are many US suppliers mixing nicotine liquid now. Some have their own chemists creating customized flavors, and some brick and mortar stores are opening around the country. It is also not difficult to make your own nicotine liquid by purchasing diluted nicotine, such as 48 mg or 36 mg (4.8% or 3.6%), and dilute it further with propylene glycol or vegetable glycerin and flavorings. The flavorings used are water soluble and usually in a propylene glycol base (made for food); the most popular come from FlavourArt in Italy, and The Perfumer's Apprentice and Capella in the US. Flavorings are anywhere from 1% to 20% of the total volume of nicotine liquid.

I'm currently switching between the eGo-T and the 510-T (tank systems)....great not to have to fill cartridges and much cheaper than cartomizer systems.

Traveling has become so easy now that I no longer smoke. The only problem I ran into on the last cruise was not bringing enough liquid. I actually got off the ship in Cozumel to see if one of the local pharmacies had glycerol to stretch out what liquid I had left...they didn't...but somehow we squeezed by on what we had. I learned my lesson and now will not only bring extra batteries, atomizers and chargers but plenty of liquid :)

• 4 weeks later...
Does anyone know where to buy the e-cigarettes?

I purchased mine, my DH's and my SIL's, at a Kiosk in the mall in Plano, TX two years ago.... although I still have not used mine :o

Archived