not fair!

Thanks. I actually admire law enforcement, and have a couple of friends/family who are, or were, police officers. It IS a tough job, and dangerous, and very stressful (besides death, the bigger thing is injuries really, as they occur at a high rate) It IS a risk, more then most professions. They choose that risk when they choose their profession, and are paid for that risk (through not just salary, but very generous pensions and benefits, that most americans will never see). A pilot may be more likely to die driving to the plane (which is also why truck drivers die more then law enforcement as well), but he will also be more likely to die in a plane then the average police officer on the street (mainly due to numbers, there are many more police officers then pilots, so the odds of an individual officer being killed is less) It's a tough job, but many jobs are tough, just in different ways. (Actually, do firefighters get a discount? I missed that)

It's just interesting how some groups get discounts, while others don't. (occupation, age, residency, etc) Heck on one line, you get a discount just for being in a union. How risky is that?

This union discount thing I do not understand.

Oh please, enough kowtowing to police and military. It's not like anyone put a gun to your head and made you sign up. (and before you pounce - yes, I have family members in the military.) It is a career choice.

I also live in a resort area. I pay huge sales taxes, I pay more for items in the grocery and restaurants during the "season" because all the tourists are happy to pay more. I also live in an area with incredibly low base salaries. You have no idea how many times we hear visitors complain because some businesses offer local discounts.

I am very happy when RCCL offers a discount to SC residents. I don't care what they offer other states. I am very happy when they offer a senior discount. I don't care who else they choose to offer discounts to, it is their business model, not mine. When I make a reservation it is not in hopes that I will get something down the line. I make the reservation because at the time the price seems reasonable to me. Any discount I get down the road is gravy.

How is it fair that a Florida resident can get a balcony for the same price as I pay for an outside. What possible benefit do Florida residents have to rccl to justify this kind of discount?

I loved it when I lived in Florida, but then I didn't have the money to cruise like I do now! Oh the humanity!

YES! Get over it! Stop complaining...or Move back to FL if you are that upset!Take a huge pay cut and move back to the horrible hot summers! The bugs and spiders, over crowding and immigration squeeze. Come on down! You'll enjoy that silly cruise better! Come ON get real!:eek:

YES! Get over it! Stop complaining...or Move back to FL if you are that upset!Take a huge pay cut and move back to the horrible hot summers! The bugs and spiders, over crowding and immigration squeeze. Come on down! You'll enjoy that silly cruise better! Come ON get real!:eek:

I could use some of that heat right now:(

Senior discounts and military/law enforcement make sense.

I wish they had discounts like that for nurses. They often offer it for firefighters and EMTs. Seems like there is not much love for nurses out there, although I did get a deal on an upgrade on a flight one time for having RN behind my name.

Just saying...

I wish they had discounts like that for nurses. They often offer it for firefighters and EMTs. Seems like there is not much love for nurses out there, although I did get a deal on an upgrade on a flight one time for having RN behind my name.

Just saying...

hahaha, my same thought!

Just saying...

I know. My wife has been waiting for the lawyer discount to show up. No one seems to be offering up one for them yet. Talk about no love *sly smile*

How is it fair that a Florida resident can get a balcony for the same price as I pay for an outside. What possible benefit do Florida residents have to rccl to justify this kind of discount?

I loved it when I lived in Florida, but then I didn't have the money to cruise like I do now! Oh the humanity!

Hey Guiude-

This FL resident thanks you for that tidbit! It scores right up there with

that cheaper Disney pass!!

Just saying...

Hmmmm....I guess I always thought that RCI had discounts for police, EMTs etc. because it would be helpful to have people with those skills on board in case of an emergency. If that were the case, then you'd see discounts for nurses and for that matter, doctors too. I'm guessing that it's just a good way to say, "thanks" to the police, fire, and military, and a nice benefit for those people.

Now, if there's ever an urgent need to solve an algebra problem at sea, I'm there....and they better offer me a discount :)

• 3 weeks later...

They must figure that with our insanely awesome incomes (LOL NOT!!!!) that we can afford the full price.

A couple nurses I work with were talking about getting EMT certification just to be able to get a discount. Heh. Not sure if it is worth that much.

What possible benefit do Florida residents have to rccl to justify this kind of discount?

We cruise a lot more than people from any other state...

But regarding the above sentence, how exactly is an American soldier in Iraq or Afghanistan for example protecting America?? Occupying one country and installing a marionette regime isnt the same as protecting another.

Oh Jeez

Yikes!! It sounds like it might be time for you to get out of FL...and you're not even in the worst of it (Miami). You sound like one of those people from the city data forums.

-Happily living in South FL, getting discounts, and loving every minute of it. :D

Archived