not fair!

How is it fair that a Florida resident can get a balcony for the same price as I pay for an outside. What possible benefit do Florida residents have to rccl to justify this kind of discount?

I loved it when I lived in Florida, but then I didn't have the money to cruise like I do now! Oh the humanity!

How is it fair that a Florida resident can get a balcony for the same price as I pay for an outside. What possible benefit do Florida residents have to rccl to justify this kind of discount?

I loved it when I lived in Florida, but then I didn't have the money to cruise like I do now! Oh the humanity!

Ask the people who say it's not fair that anyone pays less than they do for a particular category. :rolleyes:

It's all about filling up the ship. :D

We are talking bussiness, money!

RCCL and other cruiselines want to get their ships full and they know offering a good deal to Florida residents (who would only need hours to pack and jump on the ship) will probably do it.

Also, what about those promotions for 'only new bookings' where you find the same category you booked before, is now newly priced for about $200 less than what you paid for initially???

It's not fair anywhere you look at it.

Just two days ago, I received an email from Princess to sail 10 days for $599 :eek:, when my coworker paid $1099 for the same sailing and category months ago... fair? not at all!!!!!

(and the worst part is, my co-worker was sooo happy when the cruise first came out, she booked the first week!) do you think they take that into consideration?? yeah right!

As Florida residents, and frequent cruisers, we only see resident rates on occasional cruises. Since RCI also occasionally offers resident rates for the other states, you're just as likely to see these offers in Ohio as in Florida.

Also, since we live close to three Florida ports and have relatively flexible schedules, we are signed up with RCI to be notified if there are any "last minute" opportunities to cruise. It's not that RCI caters to Florida residents more than to others, it's just that the Florida demographic is more likely to be available to fill a ship on shorter notice.

We are actually more likely to get "senior" discounts than resident discounts.

So move back,,we are not the only state that gets res. discounts....

We are talking bussiness, money!

RCCL and other cruiselines want to get their ships full and they know offering a good deal to Florida residents (who would only need hours to pack and jump on the ship) will probably do it.

Also, what about those promotions for 'only new bookings' where you find the same category you booked before, is now newly priced for about $200 less than what you paid for initially???

It's not fair anywhere you look at it.

Just two days ago, I received an email from Princess to sail 10 days for $599 :eek:, when my coworker paid $1099 for the same sailing and category months ago... fair? not at all!!!!!

(and the worst part is, my co-worker was sooo happy when the cruise first came out, she booked the first week!) do you think they take that into consideration?? yeah right!

Well Said, thats why I stopped conplaining about this stuff a year or 2 ago when I started cruising, doesn't do any good anyway for me to complain, won't change anything, just how everything goes.

Well... we should get something for putting up with hurricanes, love bugs, tourists... :D

Don't forget the snowbirds!;)

Life isnt fair......just like a cruise Im taking.......paying full price while others get about half off for military.....but Im not whining about it........Im still going!(and ps.no FL rates on it)

I live up in Wisconsin, a lot of the cruises I've been looking at lately, to compare prices, have had residency rates. The cruise I'm going on in 2 weeks has great rates for Wisconsin residents, they also have the fire/emt discount available too.

Sure, Florida might get them more often, but they're all closer and I agree...you put up with alot more than I do! I just have snow and freezing cold temperatures to deal with, ha ha. The discount rates are out there, just depends on the cruise you're booking :)

Gotta say, I agree with alot of what you guys said. But I think cruiselines should have resident discounts for all states on occasion. We are here in the southwest and have never seen any sort of discount whatsoever!! :) and yes popular to what people think, new mexico is part of the US... Lol. And just because we have zero water around us :) doesn't mean we shouldn't get at least a look. My opinion:rolleyes:

Its funny, when I wrote this OP I asked my wife how many people would respond with life is not fair. I went with more than half.

In my opinion a last minute deal is a last minute deal. Who cares where they are from? Sure if there is a last minute deal they will most likely be from a near by town, but who cares of someone from georgia is willing to drive down then they should get the same deal book on the same calander day.

Senior discounts and military/law enforcement make sense. And all those of you saying that this situation is comparable to someone who books a year out and pays twice as much or more than someone who books a month out are wrong. That why its a last minute deal. But residency should have nothing to do with it.

Alast, that is just how it is. so yeah, I'm over it. just putting in my 2 cents on the matter.

Ill just have to snag some residency discounds on a nice alaska cruise leaving from seattle. Too bad those sail mostly full since alaska restricts the market. In sure the cruise lines are just fine with that!

Its funny, when I wrote this OP I asked my wife how many people would respond with life is not fair. I went with more than half.

In my opinion a last minute deal is a last minute deal. Who cares where they are from? Sure if there is a last minute deal they will most likely be from a near by town, but who cares of someone from georgia is willing to drive down then they should get the same deal book on the same calander day.

Senior discounts and military/law enforcement make sense. And all those of you saying that this situation is comparable to someone who books a year out and pays twice as much or more than someone who books a month out are wrong. That why its a last minute deal. But residency should have nothing to do with it.

Alast, that is just how it is. so yeah, I'm over it. just putting in my 2 cents on the matter.

Ill just have to snag some residency discounds on a nice alaska cruise leaving from seattle. Too bad those sail mostly full since alaska restricts the market. In sure the cruise lines are just fine with that!

I was curious, why would senior and military/law enforcement discounts make sense but not residency? If it doesn't matter where you live, then why should it matter how old you are or what career/job choice you make?

Sorry, I don't mean to make it sound snooty, but to me personally, I don't see the differences in the reasons for why one should count but not another. The all have some validity, but they're also all unfair, it depends on how you look at them.

As Florida residents, and frequent cruisers, we only see resident rates on occasional cruises. Since RCI also occasionally offers resident rates for the other states, you're just as likely to see these offers in Ohio as in Florida.

Also, since we live close to three Florida ports and have relatively flexible schedules, we are signed up with RCI to be notified if there are any "last minute" opportunities to cruise. It's not that RCI caters to Florida residents more than to others, it's just that the Florida demographic is more likely to be available to fill a ship on shorter notice.

We are actually more likely to get "senior" discounts than resident discounts.

I agree with you! We seldom get a Florida residents' discount but have gotten a few senior discounts.

We are also able to cruise on short notice (most of the time), I would love to find out where and how to sign up with RCI to be notified for "last minute" opportunities? I always check the Tuesday sales. Din't know there was a better way.

Thanks!

Well senior discounts are a well established part of our society. Less deserving of a discount I think but they paid their dues and we all will get our chance eventually, to take advantage. Not true with residency discounts. Miltary/law enforcement are the most deserving, they put their life on the line for us daily, can you say the same? In my job I'm responsible for more lives in one shift, maybe even yours, than most doctors have in their hands their entire careers. But I'm never in danger of losing my life.

Also, for the poster who was asking where to find the deals, if the cruise sail date has a red banner marked deals then there is a good chance there will be a great discount for senior, military, residency.

The deals are not available on all sailings I might add.

I was curious, why would senior and military/law enforcement discounts make sense but not residency? If it doesn't matter where you live, then why should it matter how old you are or what career/job choice you make?

Sorry, I don't mean to make it sound snooty, but to me personally, I don't see the differences in the reasons for why one should count but not another. The all have some validity, but they're also all unfair, it depends on how you look at them.

The residency rates are based on complex factors. It's not just the cruise line, but also the airlines, hotels, etc. For example, if airlines predict that a certain route will be undersold, they can ask the cruise lines to offer discounts for a particular state, to try to increase seats on airlines. In exchange, the cruise line might get better fares for its passengers, or some other perks.

The cruise lines, of course use people close to the ports to help fill ships, since they can often travel with shorter notice, and do not need to fly.

The residency rates are based on complex factors. It's not just the cruise line, but also the airlines, hotels, etc. For example, if airlines predict that a certain route will be undersold, they can ask the cruise lines to offer discounts for a particular state, to try to increase seats on airlines. In exchange, the cruise line might get better fares for its passengers, or some other perks.

The cruise lines, of course use people close to the ports to help fill ships, since they can often travel with shorter notice, and do not need to fly.

that is not logical, If you offer a lower rate to everyone even at the last minute you have a larger pool of potential customers, no matter where they come from. What does it matter if they come from Nebraska? If the cruise line really wanted to fill the ship what do they care that they are from florida? (to use a common case)

Archived