not fair!

Its funny, when I wrote this OP I asked my wife how many people would respond with life is not fair. I went with more than half.

In my opinion a last minute deal is a last minute deal. Who cares where they are from? Sure if there is a last minute deal they will most likely be from a near by town, but who cares of someone from georgia is willing to drive down then they should get the same deal book on the same calander day.

Senior discounts and military/law enforcement make sense. And all those of you saying that this situation is comparable to someone who books a year out and pays twice as much or more than someone who books a month out are wrong. That why its a last minute deal. But residency should have nothing to do with it.

Alast, that is just how it is. so yeah, I'm over it. just putting in my 2 cents on the matter.

Ill just have to snag some residency discounds on a nice alaska cruise leaving from seattle. Too bad those sail mostly full since alaska restricts the market. In sure the cruise lines are just fine with that!

NoWhining.gif

Well senior discounts are a well established part of our society. Less deserving of a discount I think but they paid their dues and we all will get our chance eventually, to take advantage. Not true with residency discounts. Miltary/law enforcement are the most deserving, they put their life on the line for us daily, can you say the same? In my job I'm responsible for more lives in one shift, maybe even yours, than most doctors have in their hands their entire careers. But I'm never in danger of losing my life.

Also, for the poster who was asking where to find the deals, if the cruise sail date has a red banner marked deals then there is a good chance there will be a great discount for senior, military, residency.

The deals are not available on all sailings I might add.

I actually don't have problems with discounts for certain groups, including seniors (even though I have awhile to go for that). I find seniors are oftentimes both those in need of a discount, but also those with the most money to spend on a cruise already. However it's interesting to hear the reasoning behind it. Sadly, not everyone will be a senior someday though, although we obviously all hope to be.

As for law enforcement, it's a career choice. It's not mandatory for them. In terms of putting their life on the line, they barely crack the top 20 in odds of dying on the job (in fact, pilots are about 3-4 times as likely to do so). Fishing, loggers, construction, farming, taxi drivers, electricians, trash collectors, and many more, are more likely to do so (as well as firefighters, who also top law enforcement). I thank them for their service of course. I would actually site more the stress they go through on the job, otherwise others should be getting discounts as well. They certainly have a tough occupation that's for sure. I think the side benefit for the cruise industry is possibly having some actual offices onboard in case of incidents.

Anyway, this went slightly off-topic I believe.

I agree with you! We seldom get a Florida residents' discount but have gotten a few senior discounts.

We are also able to cruise on short notice (most of the time), I would love to find out where and how to sign up with RCI to be notified for "last minute" opportunities? I always check the Tuesday sales. Din't know there was a better way.

Thanks!

I would also like to be notified. Can anybody help?

Don't forget the snowbirds!;)

Life isnt fair......just like a cruise Im taking.......paying full price while others get about half off for military.....but Im not whining about it........Im still going!(and ps.no FL rates on it)

Hey, I like when I get my Military Disc.. Makes all those nights sleeping in the sand worth while now. Or nights without sleep as well:)

How is it fair that a Florida resident can get a balcony for the same price as I pay for an outside. What possible benefit do Florida residents have to rccl to justify this kind of discount?

I loved it when I lived in Florida, but then I didn't have the money to cruise like I do now! Oh the humanity!

And I can say the same every time I see a resident rate for most all other states except FL.

Its funny, when I wrote this OP I asked my wife how many people would respond with life is not fair. I went with more than half.

In my opinion a last minute deal is a last minute deal. Who cares where they are from? Sure if there is a last minute deal they will most likely be from a near by town, but who cares of someone from georgia is willing to drive down then they should get the same deal book on the same calander day.

Senior discounts and military/law enforcement make sense. And all those of you saying that this situation is comparable to someone who books a year out and pays twice as much or more than someone who books a month out are wrong. That why its a last minute deal. But residency should have nothing to do with it.

Alast, that is just how it is. so yeah, I'm over it. just putting in my 2 cents on the matter.

Ill just have to snag some residency discounds on a nice alaska cruise leaving from seattle. Too bad those sail mostly full since alaska restricts the market. In sure the cruise lines are just fine with that!

No way man....that's baloney....why should you get a special price just because you live near the port??? :D:):D

I actually don't have problems with discounts for certain groups, including seniors (even though I have awhile to go for that). I find seniors are oftentimes both those in need of a discount, but also those with the most money to spend on a cruise already. However it's interesting to hear the reasoning behind it. Sadly, not everyone will be a senior someday though, although we obviously all hope to be.

As for law enforcement, it's a career choice. It's not mandatory for them. In terms of putting their life on the line, they barely crack the top 20 in odds of dying on the job (in fact, pilots are about 3-4 times as likely to do so). Fishing, loggers, construction, farming, taxi drivers, electricians, trash collectors, and many more, are more likely to do so (as well as firefighters, who also top law enforcement). I thank them for their service of course. I would actually site more the stress they go through on the job, otherwise others should be getting discounts as well. They certainly have a tough occupation that's for sure. I think the side benefit for the cruise industry is possibly having some actual offices onboard in case of incidents.

Anyway, this went slightly off-topic I believe.

Its not about how dangerous the job is, more the result of doing it, protecting Americans. anyone could die on their job driving to and from it. If fact a pilot is more likely to die driving himself to the airport than flying the plane.

also, you should think twice before you say being a firefighter, cop, or solider is not a big risk no matter how much you enjoy or choose to do it.

good debate though, thank you for weighing in nod not getting personal.

Hey why don't use the back button on your browser! you are the problem with forums, not open to discussion about a topic just want to call names and make snarky remarks.

There is no need for that!

I called no one names. I made no snarky remarks.

If the shoe fits..............

that is not logical, If you offer a lower rate to everyone even at the last minute you have a larger pool of potential customers, no matter where they come from. What does it matter if they come from Nebraska? If the cruise line really wanted to fill the ship what do they care that they are from florida? (to use a common case)

Your "logic" doesn't make any sense.

Airlines cannot easily add flights from Nebraska simply to fill some cabins on a ship. Those near to the port, can fill cabins, without any adverse impact on the airline industry.

Yes mama, you did with your little no whining banner. By the way I cant believe you have that ready. you claimed in another post you get to 50 000 post by helping people but it is clear to me you get there by bullying people. Shame!

Merion_Mom does not need defending, as her posts clearly indicate. I however DO take exception for your remarks to many on this thread.

Be careful what you wish for...just sayin'

Well... we should get something for putting up with hurricanes, love bugs, tourists... :D

tahqa, a quick off topic question about love bugs:rolleyes: (what a nuisance!).

We have driven to Port Canaveral in mid Sept. for several years. The first year the bugs were so bad it sounded like sleet on the windshield and we had to stop periodically to clean the car. This past Sept. there were hardly any at all. What determines the infestation? Do you know? Did the colder winter kill off some of them? TIA as we have been wondering.

Its not about how dangerous the job is, more the result of doing it, protecting Americans. anyone could die on their job driving to and from it. If fact a pilot is more likely to die driving himself to the airport than flying the plane.

also, you should think twice before you say being a firefighter, cop, or solider is not a big risk no matter how much you enjoy or choose to do it.

good debate though, thank you for weighing in nod not getting personal.

Thanks. I actually admire law enforcement, and have a couple of friends/family who are, or were, police officers. It IS a tough job, and dangerous, and very stressful (besides death, the bigger thing is injuries really, as they occur at a high rate) It IS a risk, more then most professions. They choose that risk when they choose their profession, and are paid for that risk (through not just salary, but very generous pensions and benefits, that most americans will never see). A pilot may be more likely to die driving to the plane (which is also why truck drivers die more then law enforcement as well), but he will also be more likely to die in a plane then the average police officer on the street (mainly due to numbers, there are many more police officers then pilots, so the odds of an individual officer being killed is less) It's a tough job, but many jobs are tough, just in different ways. (Actually, do firefighters get a discount? I missed that)

It's just interesting how some groups get discounts, while others don't. (occupation, age, residency, etc) Heck on one line, you get a discount just for being in a union. How risky is that?

We have driven to Port Canaveral in mid Sept. for several years. The first year the bugs were so bad it sounded like sleet on the windshield and we had to stop periodically to clean the car. This past Sept. there were hardly any at all. What determines the infestation? Do you know? Did the colder winter kill off some of them? TIA as we have been wondering.

We drove up to Disney this past weekend, and the place was SWARMING with them. They were everywhere. People were making lots of comments about them, and the front of cars in the parking lot looked like "love bug paint splatter". I think you just missed it this year! (Lucky you! *grin*)

I think it has to do with rainfall. We've been pretty dry this summer and they're just really swarming now. Last Spring and Fall weren't bad at all and rain was more "normal". But take that with a grain of salt as I'm not an entomologist! ;)

We drove up to Disney this past weekend, and the place was SWARMING with them. They were everywhere. People were making lots of comments about them, and the front of cars in the parking lot looked like "love bug paint splatter". I think you just missed it this year! (Lucky you! *grin*)

Yes, this past weekend the love bugs were particularly pesky in the Orlando area. My daughter and grandbaby came to visit last week-end, and when she got here her whole car was covered with the splattered bugs.:eek::eek::eek:

Its not about how dangerous the job is, more the result of doing it, protecting Americans.

First I want to say that I agree with your logics regarding local discounts 100%, I cant se how RCI would make LESS money by offering last minute deals to everyone, regardless of where they live. If somone wants to risk flying into FL from Europe or America the day before, why not? WHat does RCI has to loose if someone doesnt make it on ship in time?

But regarding the above sentence, how exactly is an American soldier in Iraq or Afghanistan for example protecting America?? Occupying one country and installing a marionette regime isnt the same as protecting another.

I am sure there are some navy and airforce that are protecting the US borders, but then the Coast guard would also be elegible for discount

First I want to say that I agree with your logics regarding local discounts 100%, I cant se how RCI would make LESS money by offering last minute deals to everyone, regardless of where they live. If somone wants to risk flying into FL from Europe or America the day before, why not? WHat does RCI has to loose if someone doesnt make it on ship in time?

But regarding the above sentence, how exactly is an American soldier in Iraq or Afghanistan for example protecting America?? Occupying one country and installing a marionette regime isnt the same as protecting another.

I am sure there are some navy and airforce that are protecting the US borders, but then the Coast guard would also be elegible for discount

Any service member serving in the services right now qualifies. Past service members do as well with a DD214 and honorable discharge and served 2 yrs or 6 months in an active war zone. Please do not bring political views to the boards either.

We are talking bussiness, money!

RCCL and other cruiselines want to get their ships full and they know offering a good deal to Florida residents (who would only need hours to pack and jump on the ship) will probably do it.

Also, what about those promotions for 'only new bookings' where you find the same category you booked before, is now newly priced for about $200 less than what you paid for initially???

It's not fair anywhere you look at it.

Just two days ago, I received an email from Princess to sail 10 days for $599 :eek:, when my coworker paid $1099 for the same sailing and category months ago... fair? not at all!!!!!

(and the worst part is, my co-worker was sooo happy when the cruise first came out, she booked the first week!) do you think they take that into consideration?? yeah right!

Well said. This is getting like the roulette of getting a price on an airplane.

• 2 months later...
How is it fair that a Florida resident can get a balcony for the same price as I pay for an outside. What possible benefit do Florida residents have to rccl to justify this kind of discount?

I loved it when I lived in Florida, but then I didn't have the money to cruise like I do now! Oh the humanity!

To my understanding, if you are a resident of the state where the ship is homeported, you get a small discount. Fair for respective state tax payers!

In my opinion, your comment about the American soldier in Iraq was hurtful. Remember, it is because of him/her that YOU are safe here in the US. It is because of his/her sacrifice that YOUR family is protected. it is because of them that we are a FREE country. It is because of him/her CHOOSING to protect the country that YOU are not drafted and are enjoying a life in the US or are you even in the US??!!!

Think about it when you have the time and thank them!

Archived