Does RCCL still have the Horse race game?

cynt

I haven't been on RCCL in a few years but I remember a horse race on the sea days. And at the end of the week people purchase the horse and dress them all up for the final race. This was a HOOT!!! Do they still do this? I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere lately?

I haven't been on RCCL in a few years but I remember a horse race on the sea days. And at the end of the week people purchase the horse and dress them all up for the final race. This was a HOOT!!! Do they still do this? I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere lately?

Actually, they purchased the horse at auction early in the cruise and had all week to dress it up and parade it around the ship. The race was held on the pool deck on the last sea day. We gave our horse endurance training by taking it out dancing at night. He also came to dinner.

We didn't have it on my last cruise, but our sea days on the westbound transatlantic were not conducive to hanging out on the pool deck for any length of time.

Actually, they purchased the horse at auction early in the cruise and had all week to dress it up and parade it around the ship. The race was held on the pool deck on the last sea day. We gave our horse endurance training by taking it out dancing at night. He also came to dinner.

We didn't have it on my last cruise, but our sea days on the westbound transatlantic were not conducive to hanging out on the pool deck for any length of time.

Thx RP, I couldn't remember the particulars but I remember placing bets and the last sea day was the best. Aww Man I wish they still had this activity. It was GREAT!!!

Nobody seems to be doing them anymore.

Back in the 90's, we were on a cruise on the old Dolphin (RIP)SeaBreeze (RIP) which was a little ship (20,000 GRT) with not much in the way of indoor areas where people could hang out. We had horse racing on the 3rd and 6th days, where people could buy horses at the first session and parade them around the ship until the 6th day races.

It was rainy and windy on the 4th and 5th days and people had nowhere to hang out. So the CD staff encouraged horse owners to start campaigns to get people to support their horses for race day. The ship gave out supplies to the owners such as large oaktag sheets, magic markers, etc. and for those two days there were close to a 100 posters scattered around the ship urging support for the horses with a lot of funny drawings, including those about glue factories, etc.

Today everything is too organized in a way. Dolphin never had much money but the staff was very creative in keeping people occupied on a shoestring.

Somewhere I have prints of several of the most outrageous posters.

Horse Racing was a dice game. 6 horses (stick figures) "ran" on a green rug marked with lines. The CD would flip a dice shaker with 3 dice, whatever numbers came up, that horse would get to move.

Early in the week (1st Sea Day) they would have a set of races. You could bet on each race. At the end of the day they held an auction. I've seen horses go for as little as $100 or as much as a $1,000. The owners would then get to name and dress their horse for the big stakes race held on a sea day later in the week. The winner of the big race would get the pool of money spent on ALL 6 horses.

It was alot of fun, and great for groups! :)

This was the first I have heard of this one, as my signature indicates, all RCI cruises starting in 06. How did this horse move? How was a winner determined?

A large rolled up mat was spread out on the pool deck with six gridded lanes. There was a cage with 3 die in it which the CD shook for every move. So if 2, 5, 5 was rolled the 5 horse moved up two spaces and the 2 horse moved up one space. The winner crossed the finish line first. Cash bets were made and the CD staff kept the records and paid out winning bets.

When people bought horses, it was an auction, spread throught the first session, 6 horses sold. All the proceeds from the sale of horses were lumped together and the winner of the big race got the purchase price for all 6 horses as a prize. This was separate from the paramutual betting on every race. We are talking about a prize of several thousand dollars for winning.

The horses were stick figures on a base; for Christmas, the staff would put antlers on the horses.

Lots of fun.

It took me a few cruises on Princess to even go to "dicey horse racing" but once I did I was hooked! Princess still does it on their ships if the cruise director is interested. One of the cd was so great about calling the race. It was just like you were at the track - which I thought was pretty amazing since he would have just learned the names of the horses that day. I was hoping that Royal Caribbean had it too, am a bit disappointed. I've only cruise RC once before and the rest have been on Princess. I hope RC can compare (in my mind only) to what I like on Princess. I'm sure there will be some things that I like better on each line and things that I will miss from the other. Our cruise on the Liberty was such a steal of a deal that we just had to go. My husband said "we can't stay home for that price" so we're off to the LIberty next Oct.

It took me a few cruises on Princess to even go to "dicey horse racing" but once I did I was hooked! Princess still does it on their ships if the cruise director is interested. One of the cd was so great about calling the race. It was just like you were at the track - which I thought was pretty amazing since he would have just learned the names of the horses that day. I was hoping that Royal Caribbean had it too' date=' am a bit disappointed. I've only cruise RC once before and the rest have been on Princess. I hope RC can compare (in my mind only) to what I like on Princess. I'm sure there will be some things that I like better on each line and things that I will miss from the other. Our cruise on the Liberty was such a steal of a deal that we just had to go. My husband said "we can't stay home for that price" so we're off to the LIberty next Oct.[/quote']

I've been on two Princess cruises and two RCCL. I believe you will enjoy the Liberty. Like you mentioned I like Princess and RCCL for different reasons. But I'm anxious to get back to the promenade deck. I have missed it dearly. It's amazing!!!

When we were on the Explorer of the Seas back in 2005 there was no horse racing. However they had CAR racing. It was extremely fun as you go the stick to decorate and carry around the ship with you, but on race day, you had a car, you need to have a drive, an engine (car pusher) and a pit crew. Alan Brooks the CD did a great job calling the race. It was done like the horses for moves. My family purchased a car and the kids had a great time decorating the stick and being in the pit crew.

Archived