Carnival Imagination! 9/27/10! Short cruise, LONG review with lots of pictures!

gapearl

Great review and pics.

Not sure how I missed this one!! Cant wait to read the Destiny review..lol

Thanks! It looks like I'm having some photobucket issues and my pictures aren't showing up. I'll try to deal with that asap. I guess they were showing up when you read the review though.

Honey Bourbon Chicken sounds great.

I discovered the Sicilian Chicken on a Carnival Cruise, love it! Googled for the recipe and now make it often at home. DH likes the Chicken ala Greek. Now we have another to try. The cruiselines are really good at chicken and seafood dishes IMHO.

Thank you for sharing. And yeah that smoke in the disco is a killer, I can't do it anymore. But we did take some ballroom dancing lessons so we do hit the other lounges.

And the lady who mentioned RCI will love Carnival, much more night life than any ship I've sailed on.

Great descriptions and pictures!!

What a great review and pictures! I will going on the Imagination in February and I can't wait! I have been on two Carnival cruises and have traveled with friends and family but the one in February will be my first solo cruise. I'm a little nervous but excited as well. Thanks again for the great review and pictures!

Carmen:)

What a great review and pictures! I will going on the Imagination in February and I can't wait! I have been on two Carnival cruises and have traveled with friends and family but the one in February will be my first solo cruise. I'm a little nervous but excited as well. Thanks again for the great review and pictures!

Carmen:)

Hey Carmen! I'm glad you liked my review. I'm also a solo cruiser and I promise you will have a great time. You should come over to the solo cruisers board and join in the discussions there as well! :)

Thanks so much for your review! I really enjoyed it. I am sailing on the Spirit 11-28. I will probably never take a short cruise out of Florida since I live in Cali, but your review was excellent. You're a girl after my own heart. I am probably your Mom's age but I do party all night long when I cruise. I have to learn the wobble before I go! LOL!

Thanks again!

Gapearl great review!! We are planning a family cruise in August and I was worried that my kids (twenty and thrity somethings) would not have a good time. Most of the reviews I have read for the imag. have not been very good. Thanks so much for taking the time to write and for also sharing your pictures and videos

Hi GaPearl!!!!

Thank you so much for this fantastic review- I can't wait to cruise on the Carnival Imagination in just a few weeks. I hope I have as much energy as you- I **love** to dance but I have yet to make it the disco on either of my previous cruises (my DH isn't a dancer, so that might be part of it, LOL- but he is a karaoke addict). Your cruise looked like non-stop fun! :D I can't wait to read your review of the Destiny in a few months.

Thank you so much for the great pictures and the videos too!!

Regards,

SmudgeCat

P.S. I have a sneaking suspicion that one of my friends in Marietta (she's like an aunt to me) works for your employer too. ;) Hee hee!

Lady Boyd, have a great time on the Spirit, and have fun doing the wobble. :D

Tright, your kids will have a great time. There is so much the ships for 20-30 somethings to do, much more than what I posted. Have you only sailed on RC? Will this be your first time on Carnival?

Smudge Cat, thanks so much for the kind words! You are going to love the Imagination. I really hope Tory will still be your cruise director. She is so high energy and gets out there dancing at the deck parties with everyone else. It was indeed nonstop fun for 4 days. The important thing for me though was to make sure my mom had a good time, and she did. Since my next cruise is solo, I might have to wisk her away somewhere for her birthday before the next cruise. Tell your DH that he's just going to have to find a way to come out of his shell and give you a dance or 2! I hope you will also post a review when you return. :)

GaPearl,

Since you have done so many solo cruises I was wondering what are the rates for booking a cabin with just one person. Is it twice the amount p/p e.g. double occupany = $350 p/p so single occupancy would be $700? I was thinking of possibly cruising solo but am unsure if it would be affordable.

GaPearl,

Since you have done so many solo cruises I was wondering what are the rates for booking a cabin with just one person. Is it twice the amount p/p e.g. double occupany = $350 p/p so single occupancy would be $700? I was thinking of possibly cruising solo but am unsure if it would be affordable.

Yes, it's typically double the listed price for a solo. My first 2 solo cruises were very reasonable. My first one, a 4 day on the Paradise, cost me $285 total, with taxes and port charges. My second solo cruise, a 6 day on the Freedom, cost me $479 total, with taxes and port charges, for a 1A. Category 1A rooms used to be the one room type where you would only have to pay 150% of the room. However, both of these were booked only 2-3 weeks in advance when the rates were lower and I was given an interline discount for being an airline employee. My next solo cruise, 5 days on the Destiny, is costing a significant amount more. Now, you have to pay for the full cabin, 200%. My interline discount was the best she could give me out of interline, past guest, and state resident rates, and was only about $40. It was a better deal than early saver. My total cost for that one is $862, including taxes, port charges, trip protection insurance, and prepaid gratuities. I'm glad I booked it when I did because I checked the rate yesterday and it has gone up $70, $140 more for a single! :eek: Cruising solo can be affortable. I actually saw some other 5 day cruises cheaper than this one, but I really wanted this itinerary. If you're ok with just being on a ship, regardless of where it goes, you can find an affordable solo cruise. Book it early and take a few months to pay it off.

Yes, it's typically double the listed price for a solo. My first 2 solo cruises were very reasonable. My first one, a 4 day on the Paradise, cost me $285 total, with taxes and port charges. My second solo cruise, a 6 day on the Freedom, cost me $479 total, with taxes and port charges, for a 1A. Category 1A rooms used to be the one room type where you would only have to pay 150% of the room. However, both of these were booked only 2-3 weeks in advance when the rates were lower and I was given an interline discount for being an airline employee. My next solo cruise, 5 days on the Destiny, is costing a significant amount more. Now, you have to pay for the full cabin, 200%. My interline discount was the best she could give me out of interline, past guest, and state resident rates, and was only about $40. It was a better deal than early saver. My total cost for that one is $862, including taxes, port charges, trip protection insurance, and prepaid gratuities. I'm glad I booked it when I did because I checked the rate yesterday and it has gone up $70, $140 more for a single! :eek: Cruising solo can be affortable. I actually saw some other 5 day cruises cheaper than this one, but I really wanted this itinerary. If you're ok with just being on a ship, regardless of where it goes, you can find an affordable solo cruise. Book it early and take a few months to pay it off.

Thanks so much for the good tips and information! I usually like to book in advance so that is usually not an issue for me. At this point I just need to search and compare. I would enjoy cruising with someone but attempting to do so at times becomes difficult with others schedules, etc. I don't want to miss out on something just because someone else can't go....It's good to know I may be able to find affordable rates.

Edited by angel258

HI Gapearl

Just wanted to say thanks for a wonderful review.... great pics and videos. Im scheduled to ride Imagination next June and I can hardly wait.

Your review just made me even more excited.....Thanks

btw i live in atl also.....

HI Gapearl

Just wanted to say thanks for a wonderful review.... great pics and videos. Im scheduled to ride Imagination next June and I can hardly wait.

Your review just made me even more excited.....Thanks

btw i live in atl also.....

Thanks for the feedback! Have you joined your roll call for your cruise? I'm waving to you frrom across town!!! Wasn't it a beautiful day today? :)

Hey there gapearl you had great detail and awesome pics thanks for sharing! Question for you.. I heard there was a formal night on this cruise is that so? I would like to go but idk how it works could u give me some imput? Thanks

The elegant night was on night 2. Most people were not truly formal. Very few people had on evening gowns and I don't think I saw anyone in a tux. That being said, when I have cruised on longer sailings, I have seen many more people on those actually look more formal. Most people had on very nice dresses and suits. They don't allow any casual clothing like shorts or jeans in the dining room that night. Do you have any plans or excursions picked out yet?

Yeah when we go to Cozomel, we are doing the dolphin and dine excursion! it sounded like fun so fingers crossed its worth it for the tones of $$ we paid for it lol:)

and thanks for the info about the formal night... is it the regular dinner hall we go to every night? do you know how much they charge for the professional picture?:cool:

Edited by sarahalyce20

Yeah when we go to Cozomel, we are doing the dolphin and dine excursion! it sounded like fun so fingers crossed its worth it for the tones of $$ we paid for it lol:)

and thanks for the info about the formal night... is it the regular dinner hall we go to every night? do you know how much they charge for the professional picture?:cool:

I've never been swimming with the dolphins but would love to try that some day. Yes, your regular dining room has the formal night. If you decide after all not to dress up, you can eat at the lido buffet. The pictures start at about $10 for a 5x7 and go up to around $20 for an 8x10. There will be TONS of photographers available to take as many pictures as you want with different backgrounds. They print them and put them out the next day in the photo gallery. You do have the option of ordering reprints (wallets, 5x7s, packages, etc.) but you have to buy the original first.

Oh great about the photos, doesn't sound to costly! And its good they take a bunch if I want cause I'm picky with my photos lol.. Is the alcohol expensive on the ship?

Another side note about the photos- On the 3rd day, I got a coupon that I could redeem the last day for 4 free wallets with any picture purchase. I had already bought all the pictures I wanted, so I didn't even bother to use it. The drinks can be pricey. Signature drinks in souvenir glasses can run $8-$15, depending on which glass you get. When you're laying out by the pool on the lido deck, the waiters will come around with a tray full of these drinks. If you ask the waiter to bring you a signature drink in a regular glass, you'll save a few dollars each. Tip is added in, so a drink or glass of wine will run about $5-8. I can't comment on beer prices since I'm not a beer drinker.

Thanks for the info on the drinks!

do they look through the bags before we get on the boat? cause id like to bring some bottles of water and snacks but idk if they will just take it away or kick us off for it lol?

also is there a limit on how many bags are allowed on board?

Thanks for the info on the drinks!

do they look through the bags before we get on the boat? cause id like to bring some bottles of water and snacks but idk if they will just take it away or kick us off for it lol?

also is there a limit on how many bags are allowed on board?

All bags will get security screening. You can bring on a small case of water or sodas. You have to bring it in your carry on and not your checked bag. Also each person can bring on 1 bottle of wine, again in your carry on bag. There really isn't a bag limit, but I think I saw somewhere they recommend no more than 2 checked bags.