Hotels Near Miami Port, any recommendations?

tuscandream

I like the Holiday Inn Port of Miami which is across the street from the Bayside Market (nice little shops great restaurants and a place for an outdoor band). You can also take the harbor cruise which goes by the homes of the rich and famous from the Bayside Market.

I took some advice given in the Ports of call section of the Boards on Florida, and booked through the lastminutetravel.com and if you punch in the area you want, and 5 star (it is only 4 star really)it books you into the Intercontinental for about 87$ per night and it is supposed to be a great hotel. We did this for our stay in Nov. Got a good deal, check out the posts in the other sections of the boards. People keep talking about it as a great deal so we did it as well. It seems to be about 250 per night if you book it throught the hotel. It is one of those mystery type things. Follow the steps that the people laid out and get a good deal. Our friends are staying at Holiday Inn Port of Miami and spent about 189$ We got it for 87$ Check out the other boards information.:)

EMOSEWA:cool:

We are looking for a reasonable hotel near the port of Miami for 6 people. We are driving to Florida 1 night Nov 20, any suggestions? Where would I look for these hotels and how close they are? Thanks in advance for your help..:D

You'll get more responses if you post this question on the FLA departure board. ;)

If you are driving to Miami be aware that all downtown Miami and Miami Beach hotels charge $25-30 per day for parking. :eek: Hotels offering free parking will be out near MIA; you could also stay in Fort Lauderdale (about 40 minutes north of Miami) or Hollywood (in between Miami and Fort Lauderdale) - many more hotels in these locations offer free parking. The closer the hotel is to the beach, the more chances they will charge for parking.:(

FLL

17th Street/Downtown Hotels: These are chain hotels on a wide street. Surrounded by chain restaurants and drug stores where you can buy last minute items. Hotels would be Hyatt Place, Marriott and Hilton brands. Charmless, but convenient and inexpensive. Most have free shuttles from FLL. Hyatt Pier 66 is on the edge, right at the drawbridge, but a great hotel with a marina, outdoor bar and grill and a water taxi stop.

Las Olas Blvd: A lovely little street with cafes and shops. Only one hotel here, but it's very nice, Riverside Hotel. Some have been getting amazing deals on this property through Hotwire and Priceline.

Ft. Lauderdale Beach: If you get in early, and you want a taste of the tropical lifestyle, you can stay on the beach. Westin, Sheraton Ft. Lauderdale Beach Resort, Lago Mar and W are options. This area is full of beach style restaurants and shops. More expensive than 17th Street, but very nice and fun.

Hollywood

You can get the Westin Diplomat Golf or Beach resort in Hollywood. About half-way between FLL and POM, it's a lovely resort with an amazing pool. If your plan is to just relax before your cruise and you want a resort to do it at, this would be the place. There's also a Crowne Plaza in Hollywood. Both properties are on a trolley route to the beach and boardwalk.

MIAMI

Blue Lagoon: An office park near MIA airport - rather its own little city. Lots of moderately priced hotels including Hampton Inn, Homewood Suites and many others; restaurants and strip mall within walking distance (try Casa Juan for great Cuban food – popular with the locals!). Loaded with cruisers who just want a clean place to lay their heads.

Coconut Grove: An interesting shopping district, anchored by a Bayside Marketplace type structure called Coco Walk. Miracle Mile (the name of the street) includes funky shops, restaurants and venues for the arts. I saw an evening of ballet here once. This is an option if you plan on renting a car, or have lots of money for taxis.

Airport: There are a few hotels out at the Miami Airport, the only one regularly suggested on these boards is the Embassy Suites-Airport.

Doral: The other side of the Airport. Very far west, with lots of moderately priced hotels, restaurants and strip malls. This is where you stay if all the other places are full due to boat shows or holidays.

Good luck!:)

I took some advice given in the Ports of call section of the Boards on Florida, and booked through the lastminutetravel.com and if you punch in the area you want, and 5 star (it is only 4 star really)it books you into the Intercontinental for about 87$ per night and it is supposed to be a great hotel. We did this for our stay in Nov. Got a good deal, check out the posts in the other sections of the boards. People keep talking about it as a great deal so we did it as well. It seems to be about 250 per night if you book it throught the hotel. It is one of those mystery type things. Follow the steps that the people laid out and get a good deal. Our friends are staying at Holiday Inn Port of Miami and spent about 189$ We got it for 87$ Check out the other boards information.:)

EMOSEWA:cool:

We got two nights at the Intercontinental too coming up. Oct 27th, first night, and Nov 1st. Same deal.

I like the Holiday Inn Port of Miami which is across the street from the Bayside Market (nice little shops great restaurants and a place for an outdoor band). You can also take the harbor cruise which goes by the homes of the rich and famous from the Bayside Market.

We stayed there last November before our cruise. Nice hotel! Bayside is fun...went there for dinner and to browse. There's also a Walgreen's drugstore about two blocks away if you need any last minute little things.

The port is about ten mins away. We took a taxi. Can't remember how much.

DH and I would stay there again.

P.S. We paid about $87 using Travelocity

I stayed here 10 years ago. did not spend much time at the hotel it was just a place to sleep. when we checked-in we went to bed and crashed. next morning we did not eat there. checked out got a taxi and to the port we went. From there to the port was the best. I think I paid less than ten dollars including the tip to the driver. of course back then it was a best western hotel.

If you don't have a car then there are lots of great options and using a bidding service is a great idea. But, if you have to pay to park the car then the deals aren't that good. We have stayed at the La Quinta Airport East and it has free parking and a free one way shuttle to the port. The hotel was a decent place to stay for a night and it has a free breakfast too. You can also check the deals on parksleepfly.com . There are no free round trip shuttles so you have to pay for the return but the price is per cab and not per person. We met a couple at the hotel before the cruise and arranged to share a cab on the return so that worked out well.

Last time we were in Miami to catch a cruise we stayed at the Days inn miami dade.. never ever again.. heard gunshots... not going back there.. this time we booked the Best Western airport west but heard terrible things about so we changed to one that is recommend on CC.. the Hampton inns and suite blue lagoon.. it sounds much much better then anything we had previous and there is shuttle available for 10 pp or there also is a cruise and stay package but we went prepaid and got it for 162 including taxes..and got peace of mind..

some reviews on tripadvisor for the hotels close to the port. always check one of the hotel review sites before you book, of course, whether it is tripadvisor or another site :)

an example for the holiday inn.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g34438-d80275-r3939768-Holiday_Inn_Port_of_Miami_Downtown-Miami_Florida.html

seems like a good deal for under $100 plus $10 to get to the boat.

I just reread your post - are you trying to put all 6 in one room? :confused:

If you are trying to put 6 family members in one room you are limited to the all suite hotels; otherwise you are paying for two rooms! :eek: Since you have a car you should scratch downtown Miami and Miami beach off of your list because of the parking choices.

Focus on either the Embassy Suites at MIA or the Homewood Suites Blue Lagoon, or bite the bullet and pay for two rooms. Good luck!:)

I can only advise on a hotel NOT to stay at... and that's the La Quinta by the airport.

We are not picky people when it comes to just one quick night before our cruise. Just a decent room w/ clean bed & shower.

Well, this hotel was not anything I would EVER stay in again. I will not go into details unless you want me to lol.... just take my word for it!

It was affordable and convenient because they offered shuttle to/from the port. But, would not recommend it to anyone.

When your ready to book a hotel try out "Name your Price" on Priceline. I bid $75 for a 4 star hotel in Ft Lauderdale and got it! Were staying at the Westin Hollywood resort and spa right on the beach. I priced all the usual suspects (Hilton, Marriott, etc...) and this is by far the cheapest price I could find anywhere.

I am going to also suggest Holiday Inn Port of Miami, we stayed in the 6 person Suite with a huge bay window looking out to bayside market & Port of Miami, may things in walking distance, parking right infront of hotel.

I didn't much care for it the last time I stayed there. The rooms were worn and dirty. The bathroom was moldy. The staff was surly. And the food stunk. The only upside was that it was close to the port.

Hey . We drove down for one of our cruises a couple years ago, stayed north of town as it was much cheaper for two rooms. We then parked right at the port where it was very easy and convenient. Some hotels near the airport areas in Miami and Tampa do over one weeks parking for free if you stay there but then you have taxi fares? Have a good one.

We've stayed at LaQuinta Airport East in the past, and liked it very much. We are staying there again in November, pre-cruise.

We are flying into FLL on Saturday, and renting a car. We'll drive down to LaQuinta, stay the night, then return the car to the rental agency, which will shuttle us to the Port of Miami.

It works out really well. I found the hotel to be clean, and the breakfast and coffee were good. There is a Bennigans next door, which works out well for dinner/snacks/drinks at night. (I hope it's still there!)

Archived