Sun aft facing cabin

fuggles

We had an aft minisuite on the Sun for our Alaska cruise, and we loved being back there. It's quiet, out of the wind and close to the buffet, Las Ramblas, Sports Bar and The Great Outdoor Cafe. I know our mini was larger than they are on other NCL ships, so maybe the Balcony cabins are, too.

Hi, we too have sailed in an Aft cabin (0267 also!!!) and LOVED IT!!!! We are huge fans of the Aft cabins and when just booked another one on the Star. We had a chance for a deluxe owners suite on the Star which is up front (no balcony tho) at a very reasonable price but just couldn't stay away from the aft penthouses..........love them! I love the Sun, been on it twice!!! You will enjoy........

Leah

@fuggles -

Our very first cruise was on the Sun in cabin 8278. Been cruising in aft cabins ever since, regardless of which ship it is. The balcony is spacious, but some people (not we) object to the lower portion of the railing blocking their view. See pic below.

1822394625_Sunbalcony-s.jpg.92bd832ccc9040d66b2510867ab184f7.jpg

We loved it! We were one deck up on nine from askjay on our 'round the horn cruise and it was THE best. Easy 2 flights up to buffet, pool, etc. Easy three flights down to most everything else. The views are incredible - you see both sides rather than just one or the other and of course the wonderful sound of the wake to lull you to sleep each night. We slept with the door open every night.

As far as the lower portion of the rail - the best part is it makes your balcony big enough to hold a chaise....now that was some napping - somewhere in the roaring 40s, cool breeze, sweater and a blanket. I wanna be back!

I will agree with cruisemoreoften, it you can grab one of the AFs, they are really wonderful - huge stateroom and balcony, much better than any other minis in the fleet that I know of.

I will agree with cruisemoreoften, it you can grab one of the AFs, they are really wonderful - huge stateroom and balcony, much better than any other minis in the fleet that I know of.
Clay, I think the minisuites on the Sun are AEs, which is different from most of the rest of the fleet, where they're Afs. They'll be called M1s sometime in April next year.

Don't know what the minis are called elsewhere on Sun, but the two per deck on the stern are AFs - trust me, I have been watching, hoping, that the one that was left on our cruise that leaves on Saturday would suddenly plunge in price....so far no luck:(

It is a much larger and better laid out room than the minis on the sides - if you have been on Jade (and I presume the other Gem clones) it is more like their romance and penthouse suites without the suite benefits.

The two minisuites on deck 10 are AEs, but the minisuites on decks 9 and 8 are AFs. I have no idea why, especially since the AEs are usually more expensive but it would seem that the cabins on deck 9 would be better because there are cabins above and below. They will all be M1s when the cabin categories are changed next year.

I'd say to skip deck 10 and opt for 9 or 8 if you have the chance. We stayed in 0067 (AE) on deck 10 in June and had read as much as we could find on the cabins in the back. There were reports of soot to others saying they had no soot. We had some soot but not everyday and not a deal breaker. We also read about the chairs moving around in the outside buffet on deck 11 early a.m. We had that around 6:00 a.m. every morning for about 10 minutes if that is something that bothers you.

The thing we never read about but experienced first hand on deck 10 was the seagulls while in port. They would hover over the outside buffet on deck 11 and bring their food sometimes down to eat on the deck 10 railings. They would also leave white droppings on your balcony and sometimes the chairs. It did not look like decks 8 & 9 had this problem FWIW.

We were in 0067 on Deck 10, in an AE. I thought all the minis back there were AEs until Clay and Silver Girl pointed out the differences. We had the soot problem and did hear the chairs move, but I don't recall any seagulls. But then we were on an early May Alaska cruise, and the birds may have been sunning in Southern California at that time.

We just returned from the Sun also in aft cabin 8278. The only negative I see is that you are right above the showroom. You can easily hear the music from the shows at 7:30 and 9:30 PM. Each show lasts about an hour. Also, they seemed to have rehearsals at various times that you can hear. Two nights the rehearsals started after the late show and ran almost until midnight.

I think deck number nine would be better.

we will be on the Norway deck...so it that 9 or 10??? balcony aft. rm0232

The rooms that start with a "0" are on deck 10. The "00"s are port and the "02" run starboard.

Another note FYI - if you buy a computer plan on the Sun, you sign in with your room number. I tried our 4 digit number that is normally how our room was listed on everything else we had seen, but the 4 digit number didn't work. I tried with a "10" in front and that didn't work either. I figured out just to skip all the zeros and just use the 2 numbers <> 0 and that worked. Never saw any directions for this when logging in.

Archived