Pacific Dawn delayed Mon 11 Oct 2010

stanc61

Due to severe weather and sea conditions off the Brisbane coast, the Pacific Dawn is still delayed from arrival back into Brisbane.

The latest message from P&O was at 11:45am and stated that a time for arrival has still not yet been made.

The webcam shows the Dawn is still out to sea in some very choppy looking conditions.

http://www.pocruises.com.au/OurShips/Pages/PacificDawnCam.aspx

The weather on the radar map looks just wet wet wet.

http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDR662.loop.shtml#skip

I was just looking at the Cam. She has the black ball up and is at anchor in Moreton Bay. The live AIS also has her at anchor after doing a few circles while waiting to get in.

Wonder when she will arrive?

Not good for folk waiting at Portside, or wanting to dismembark.

Guess there will be a few flights missed.

11dawn4.jpg

11dawn5.jpg

Thanks David, also what is the AIS you talk about and what is the link to it please?

Hi Stan,

Live AIS is a marine tracking system that follows ships that report into it.

http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/

Just select the area you want, and play around with it to find the ship you want to follow.

Oh Dear it has been an eventful cruise - searching for another ship and now severe weather.

David what does the black ball mean ?

It means the anchor is down! I watched them hauling it up when we left Lifou last crusie.

Sure does.

All ships must display a black ball on the forward mast if they are anchored. Most times when you watch the bridge cam of a ship at a tender port you can see it, so you know they have anchored.

Sure does.

All ships must display a black ball on the forward mast if they are anchored. Most times when you watch the bridge cam of a ship at a tender port you can see it, so you know they have anchored.

Ah makes me feel much relieved - I thought I had "blackballed" an entire cruise.

My only concept of black ball was the casting of votes against

Seems its not only bad weather down here. I was reading on another board that P&O's Ventura stayed in Southampton overnight as it was bad weather in the Bay of Biscay and the Captain did not want to risk having his ship thrown around.:eek:

I heard from Steve at 11am and he told me they were waiting in Moreton Bay as the port is closed due to strong winds.

The captain was going to make another announcement within a few more hours.

He said he would call back whe he knew more.

Thanks for the update. I am sure we will hear all about his adventures when he ....finally.... gets home.

I live at Caloundra and have just been for a look around the beaches, and yes it looks very rough and rugged out there. Even saw patches of blue sky, but not for long we just got another rain storm pass through. Lots of flooding in Brisbane too.

Maybe they will have to disembark by Tender.

Must be horrible for the passengers waiting to get off and on, and especially those that have flights booked. The only good thing is they get to have lunch onboard.

I guess they wouldn't be able to go back into their cabins.

I don't think disembarking 1,800 or so passengers, with luggage, would be possible by tender. I agree, it wouldn't be too good sitting around just waiting to disembark. I hope they have let people store their hand luggage in their cabins and lock them, so at least they are free to move around the ship. With their on-board accounts already closed off, they can only buy drinks using cash.

Seems its not only bad weather down here. I was reading on another board that P&O's Ventura stayed in Southampton overnight as it was bad weather in the Bay of Biscay and the Captain did not want to risk having his ship thrown around.:eek:

Hi,

Theres nothing the Captain can do....he is exercising caution in the safety and concern for his ship and passengers....hope no one blames him or P&O.

Col:)

Hi,Theres nothing the Captain can do....he is exercising caution in the safety and concern for his ship and passengers....hope no one blames him or P&O.Col:)

Hi Col, Did not mean to imply that anyone was blaming the Captain. From what I read , they were quite pleased he stayed in port for the night.

Think they've weighed anchor. Or else the wind has blown the black disc off! Tracker shows her moving at between 1 and 2 knots, but maybe that's drifting.

Dont know whats going on Sandi. The tracker has her going round in circles.

Hope the anchor is not stuck:eek:

Archived