How much chaos to expect with 4 ships embarking at San Pedro?

JennKach

I just checked the cruise ship schedule for my September 30 cruise on the Star. There will be FOUR ships leaving port that day! I've read on the boards that Port of LA is not the most organized facility on a slow day. Does anyone have experience with a busy day there? Should I medicate my husband before we head to the ship?? Patience isn't his number one virtue:) I'm wondering if it might be smarter to hit embarkation later instead of battling the early birds. We did this once on Carnival and breezed right on the ship.

Any tips from the experienced San Pedro traveler? Does this mean the Latitudes special registration line won't be in operation?

There are only 3 berths, Summit is listed as TBA, whatever they mean by that, I know it is "To be announced", but where would they put this ship?

I have cruised out of this port when there were 3 ships in port before. It was no different than any other time with only 1 ship in port. Berth 91/92 and Berth 93 are actually two separate buildings, so it looks like you will have 2 ships checking in at the same facility, not 3 or 4. If you are driving to port, I would get there early to secure a parking space.

I would think that congestion might be more of a problem for the passengers debarking than for those getting on the ship. The NCL people will still be handling one ship. You can go fairly early.

Enjoy your trip on a wonderful ship !!

Should I medicate my husband before we head to the ship?? Patience isn't his number one virtue:)

Boy, I can relate.... (slmao) My hubby always brings a papperback or Ellery Queen magazine to read. He really dislikes waiting in lines & this is equivalent to an adult pacifier.

btw... does anyone know if we can drop off luggage & go some place else for a while. I don't believe there is anything around the immediate vicinity so I was thinking of taking a quick run by Ports of Call (great crab & other seafood) without carting the bags. Or is this a really bad idea?

Thanks

You just won't know until you get there, different factors can come into play. I would make sure to take along a good book and arrive early, pack your carry on lightly so you aren't having to keep track of a lot of stuff while waiting. Take a snack and a bottle of water, when you do get onboard, everything will be fine. If I were you, I would not use NCL transfers, grab a cab or shuttle instead, faster, easier, cheaper and you won't be in the long lines with bus pax.

We once arrived two hours later than we wanted to (we drive to this port) and the line was an anticipated hour long for boarding. While I was stewing away, kicking myself for being so tardy, an officer approached and said "You're lucky you didn't get here 2 hours ago, there was a plumbing problem onboard that delayed embarkation, they just got started now".

So, every embarkation/debarkation can be different, there is no way to be sure of what you will experience. A slow disembarkation can be caused by a single passenger, a slow embarkation by any number of factors. Kind of like predicting the weather.

Sodell. We dropped off our luggage and then sat and waited until they opened up the check in lines but I don't know if you could leave the terminal at that point.

I think embarkation would be much easier than debarkation with that many ships, so I feel sorry for the people getting home that day.

Good luck! and have a wonderful time.

Emi

We'll be in town for three days prior to the cruise so will take a taxi to port. I guess we'll shoot for 11:00 and see what happens. I'll be well stocked with water and snacks (and some hidden liquor just to see if I can get it on board!).

Does anyone know how they set up the boarding photo line? Are you stuck getting your picture taken or can you skip it? We once were in a huge line for 25 minutes only to find out we could have skipped the photo and gone right onboard. I didn't want to appear to be cutting ahead of people so we didn't check what the line was for. We're just not into buying photos.

It seemed like we weren't able to bypass the picture taking. I didn't want to do it either but maybe it depends on who is doing the pics...??? Good luck. It was pretty fast though when we went.

I think you can check the port and see how many ships are in that day, I forget how exactly though, maybe through their site (World Cruise Center, I think)

Emi

Try this link for port info.

http://www.sanpedro.com/spcom/cruiscal.htm

We had a terrible time disembarking in San Pedro from our Princess cruise. The customs agents were late and there were many passengers who didn't report as they should have so they would NOT clear the ship. It was chaos when we finally stated disembarking at 10am. The embarking people were already arriving and I would guess they had to wait quite awhile to board. BTW- we were the ONLY ship in port:eek:

Take a book and a sandwich and relax!!

Ed- looks like we think alike:D See you onboard!

I just got off the Star in San Pedro on Thursday (the only ship in port, which was HEAVEN) and the porter there told us about when they have four ships in port and how crazy it is. :eek: Pack your patience; it's just not a port equipped to have so many cruise ships berthed at the same time.

Customs is MUCH more thorough in L.A. than they are in the Florida ports, in my experience.

Archived