Train from Naples to Pompeii and Sorrento

pilot

I checked the schedule and it looks to me that you can take the train from Naples to Pompeii. Get off for a few hours then leave from the same station and continue to Sorrento.

We want to spend about 2 hours in Pompeii and a couple of hours in Sorrento.

Has anyone done this?

Looks like the train leaves about every 30 minutes.

Thanks

I checked the schedule and it looks to me that you can take the train from Naples to Pompeii. Get off for a few hours then leave from the same station and continue to Sorrento.

We want to spend about 2 hours in Pompeii and a couple of hours in Sorrento.

Has anyone done this?

Looks like the train leaves about every 30 minutes.

Thanks

Yup, I did that just last week. I took the 8:22am train to Pompeii. (Long story of why I missed the faster 8:11am one.. ) We walked around Pompei until around 12:30, and then took the train to Sorrento. Spent a few hours there and took the 4:19pm bus back to Naples and boarded the ship before 6.

Yup, I did that just last week. I took the 8:22am train to Pompeii. (Long story of why I missed the faster 8:11am one.. ) We walked around Pompei until around 12:30, and then took the train to Sorrento. Spent a few hours there and took the 4:19pm bus back to Naples and boarded the ship before 6.

Was there a reason that you took the bus back and not the train?

Sorry, typo! :p I took the train back to the station then took the bus to the port.

Did you need to take the bus from the train station to the port? I have seen some posts that people are walking from the port to the train station. Is it close enough to walk...30-45 minutes.

Thank for your fast responses.

Did you need to take the bus from the train station to the port? I have seen some posts that people are walking from the port to the train station. Is it close enough to walk...30-45 minutes.

Thank for your fast responses.

We didn't HAVE to, it was about a 30 minute walk. Taking a bus took about 7 minutes. We were lazy. :p

Since we bought our train tickets from the newspaper stand across the street from the bus stop, and the bus fare was included in our train tickets, we took the bus. (Not 100% sure if the bus fare is included or not, but at least the bus fare inspector didn't say a thing when he boarded and checked our stamped U3 Unico Campania tickets)

And you're very welcome. I had lots of help from CC before my trip, so anything to help others!

A U3 ticket, which covers Naples to Pompei, costs Euro 4,70 for 24 hours.

A U5 ticket, which covers Naples to Sorrento, costs Euro 6,70 for 24 hours.

The official web site is here: http://www.unicocampania.it/index.php?lang=en

I am interested to know little more about train to Pompeii from Naples cruise ship dock. We will be in April 2011 by RCCL.

1) What are the name of train station in Naples and Pompeii.

2) How far is the station from Naples cruise dock and from Pompeii point of interest to station by walking time.

3) What is the entrance fee for Pompeii visiting ground.

4) If you buy “U3 Unico Campania” tickets (€ 4.70), is it good for return too?

5) By any chance to you remember the bus number from port to station and back.

Sorry I asked you too many question, hope I will get some of the answer. Thank you for the help and have a great day…:)

I am interested to know little more about train to Pompeii from Naples cruise ship dock. We will be in April 2011 by RCCL.

Naples: Circumvesuviana Porta Nolana station, on Corso Guiseppe Garibaldi

Pompei: Pompei Scavi station

2) How far is the station from Naples cruise dock and from Pompeii point of interest to station by walking time.

Naples: from the cruise port to the station is a little over a mile, on flat terrain. For most people it's a 15 - 30 minute walk.

Pompei: A few hundred feet from the station to the site entrance at Porta Marina

11 Euro

Yes, it is a 24 hour ticket, good for travel within the region all day

Tram #1, which goes along the main road in front of the cruise port. There is also a bus, but I don't know the number off the top of my head and don't have my Naples bus map handy

I think that covers it.

A U3 ticket, which covers Naples to Pompei, costs Euro 4,70 for 24 hours.

A U5 ticket, which covers Naples to Sorrento, costs Euro 6,70 for 24 hours.

The official web site is here: http://www.unicocampania.it/index.php?lang=en

Wow, I only bought the 140 minute one way ticket to Pompei. Does it mean I took the bus without paying the fare? :eek:

Sorry I asked you too many question, hope I will get some of the answer. Thank you for the help and have a great day…:)

If you are a Canadian citizen, over 65, and with proof of citizenship (we used photo copies of our passports as our originals had been collected for entry to Turkey) entrance to Pompeii is free. Do ask for the complementary map site guide.

See you soon

Mae

This is all great info. I was not aware of the free admission mentioned in the last post.

Are the U3 passes sold outside the port and if so how will we find the vendor? If not what is the fare on the tram and/or the 601 bus to go to the train station. We are there mid-week. We might walk back if time permits but it would be good to save time outbound.

Did anyone mention taking the boat from Sorrento back to port? We took the train to Pompeii, had the guided tour, then took the train to Sorrento, then the 4:30 boat back to the Port - took about 20-30 minutes saving time from traveling back by train and it lets you out near your ship.

If you are a Canadian citizen, over 65, and with proof of citizenship (we used photo copies of our passports as our originals had been collected for entry to Turkey) entrance to Pompeii is free. Do ask for the complementary map site guide.

See you soon

Mae

:) Yes, we are Canadian senior citizen and thank you for you suggestion. We always carry photocopy of our passports. By showing the proof of age, if you can save 22.00 Euro, is not bad! It is very good information for Canadian senior citizen. Thank you again and enjoy the day! :)

Archived