Travel Insurance Against Snow Cancelations. Advice?

May20PA

My cruise agent offered cruise insurance but it did not cover protection if flights were canceled due to snow storms/weather. It is a February cruise and I am leaving from PA. Does anyone have a suggestion especially if they had this happen to them and actually used the insurance? I am looking at InsureMyTrip.com, but there are so many to choose from. Please help!

My cruise agent offered cruise insurance but it did not cover protection if flights were canceled due to snow storms/weather. It is a February cruise and I am leaving from PA. Does anyone have a suggestion especially if they had this happen to them and actually used the insurance? I am looking at InsureMyTrip.com, but there are so many to choose from. Please help!

Best bet is to give them (insuremytrip) a call. Let them know what you're looking for and have them help find the right policy/company.

Charlie

Definitely go to "insuremytrip.com" and compare policies and company ratings. Before buying, make sure to read the fine print as there are subtle distinctions in the wording of the policies.

I usually take out a policy that covers medical, emergency evacuation and travel interruption or delay. I don't usually include trip cancellation coverage because I'm usually more concerned about a catastrophic emergency while I'm away than I am about getting reimbursed for something I've already paid for. And it also serves to keep the cost of the insurance very low.

I used our policy's travel delay coverage this past December when our flight out of San Juan was canceled due to the snow storms in the mid-atlantic region. I simply called the company's claims department when we got home (in this case Travelex) and they opened a claim file and gave me instructions on what was needed to process the claim (make sure you keep absolutely everything that relates to your trip). Three weeks later I received a check reimbursing us for our hotel stay and meals.

Granted, it wasn't a large claim, but it more than paid for the cost of insurance for the last couple of trips.

Gale

You should definately check out insuremytrip.com, great website.

Note however, that cruise ships do not cancel sailings due to snow. If you are traveling by car, and there happens to be a snowstorm/blizzard, the travel insurance will not be enforceable unless the county/state of your residence or the county/state of cruise's terminal departure has declared a state of emergency and closed the highways. You need to ask specific questions of the insurance companies.

We are driving from Philadelphia to Baltimore in late February. If there is snow...we will use our four wheel drive. Nothing is going to stop us from a well deserved vaction.

I got the Travelex Plan with the Cancel for Any Reason addition (total $208.00). I've been pretty busy, so I havent read through the entire policy, but it's on my list to do this weekend. You can call the guys at IMT.com, and they'd be happy to answer any questions. After buyinh the insurance, they send you a nice little thank you letter, with their business card, should you have any questions. That was a nice tough I didnt expect from an online agency/service.

Archived