when to go Mediterreanen

Ba' Datz

I am not sure where to post this so I would appreciate it if it would be moved to a better forum if appropriate.

I am considering a January cruise on the MCS Splendida from Genoa to Greece Egypt and back to Italy

I have never cruised that area and wonder if this is a good time to go and what could I expect as to weather both aboard ship and on shore.

Thanks in advance

I would aim for April - early June or late September - early November for the best mix of weather and slightly less crowding (and fewer children aboard, if that's important to you).

There is a very good deal pricewise in January and that is why I am considering it

Also I just read somewhere else that they charge for water and ice tea at all meals except breakfast. Anyone have experience with this?

I am not sure where to post this so I would appreciate it if it would be moved to a better forum if appropriate.

I am considering a January cruise on the MCS Splendida from Genoa to Greece Egypt and back to Italy

I have never cruised that area and wonder if this is a good time to go and what could I expect as to weather both aboard ship and on shore.

Thanks in advance

You may get more responses by posting under the "cruise line" category.

We did a Western Med trip this August - September and was very hot. We like the heat, so it was perfect for us. (110 in Greece). I think it depends on your pocketbook and what temperatures you like.

You can check with weather.com and get an idea of the temps. but for your money on a first cruise to the med, cruising in the fall, Oct/Nov., or the spring April/May might make for a more enjoyable cruise - cold and rougher seas might not be good and could disappoint you. We have cruised the Med in oct and nov and the weather can be quite pleasant. We will cruise Athens and Turkey in May next year and I am looking forward to some nice weather, and fewer crowds. Cheaper than summer, but warmer than the winter.

Both NCL Jade and an RCI ship have been doing roughly the same route all winter for at least the last couple of years. The further south you go, the warmer. We've done the route in Feb, and had mixed weather; chilly and windy at night on deck. We had a fabulous time.

Yes, I've heard lots of reports from UK cruisers about the lack of free drinks after a certain time. One thing I have noticed is that some other lines have tried the same trick at dinner time, of only offering bottled water, at a price. On MSC, people have learned to ask for a jug of ship's water, and eventually it will be brought. You can also ask for this at the bars....

Jo.

There is a very good deal pricewise in January and that is why I am considering it

Also I just read somewhere else that they charge for water and ice tea at all meals except breakfast. Anyone have experience with this?

There is a reason it is cheap!

We did 3 weeks on the Peloppenese in a town named Akrata in December/January and it rained for a solid week, and was really cold. Snow in the mountains. We went up to Kalavrita (ski resort).

It was a great visit to see old friends, but not the greatest weather wise.

Even all the ferries to the islands weren't running as it was too cold, wet and rough, plus not a lot of tourists.

I don't think I'd want to invest the money needed (cruisefare, airfare, costs at exchange rate) at that time of year.

We chose Sept/Oct for our Med cruise. We only had 1 day of rain in Rome pre-cruise then 12 beautiful days, until ending in Venice (3 days of rain) then on to Paris (2 more days of rain). The wet stuff really can put a damper on touring/sightseeing.

Price of the cruise isn't the only thing to consider. If you save half on the cruise but it's downright miserable weather, did you really save anything?

Nicest months for affordable cruising/weather are May and mid Sept- mid October. I was once on land in Greece followed by Italy late Oct-early Nov. Greece tourist spots pretty well closing down. Also, windy wet weather both countries, not pleasant.

Archived