Venice recommendations

loanin

My mother and I are taking a Princess Cruise in November leaving from Venice, to the Greek Isle and ending in Rome. We arrive in Venice around 5 p.m. and leave port the next day at 1:00. We would like recommendations on things to do in Venice during our short time. Especially interested in DIY or low cost things. There seems alot of "must do" things there but limited time and the hours we are there limits our options. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

My mother and I are taking a Princess Cruise in November leaving from Venice, to the Greek Isle and ending in Rome. We arrive in Venice around 5 p.m. and leave port the next day at 1:00. We would like recommendations on things to do in Venice during our short time. Especially interested in DIY or low cost things. There seems alot of "must do" things there but limited time and the hours we are there limits our options. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Are you arriving from the US? If so you will be tired and jet lagged. Where are you staying overnight? Hotel or ship? So little time, so much to see. You barely have time to cruise the grand canal on a vaporetto, have dinner and walk from St Mark's to Rialto. Depending on where you stay, you need to allow time to get to the ship. Because of your time constraints, you might consider tthe Frari church instesd of the Basilica. The Doge's Palace takes an hour at least. You've unfortunately left it very late. Borrow or buy Rick Steve's guide and look at his suggestions for a 1 day visit.

WOW, pity you couldn't stretch another day. Is 1pm the sail time?

Are you staying in Venice or out by the airport or near the train terminal?

Depending on where you stay and when you can board the ship will really effect what you choose to try and to.

With such a short time I would suggest finding the quickest way to St Marks in the evening and walk it a bit at night and hopefuly the bands are still playing.

Early in the morning you could do the walk, with such a short time I don't think you have time to really get into any of the buildings/churchs but can still enjoy the narrow streets, canals, Rialto and of course if the gondolas is on your must do do that!

Best of luck!

The best thing you can do with you time is ride the vaporetto (boat) along the entire Grand Canal. It is easy to do and cheap, but gives you a wonderful look at different areas of Venice. It should take you (I think) 45 minutes to do the entire thing. If you can do it around sunset or just after sunrise, it is the best, but you will enjoy it whenever you can do it.

I would skip the Gondola if you ever plan to return to Venice. However, it is a wonderful experience and you get to see back "alleys" of Venice.

Besides the vaporreto ride, you should walk around St. Mark's Square. It is the most famous area of Venice and absolutely beautiful. In November you will have fewer people to deal with so you should be able to go inside St. Mark's Basilica rather quickly. Go to the official St. Mark's website and pre-book your tour time. It is self-guided and you can't get lost, but you can experience this wonderful sanctuary in less than 30 minutes. There is a great coffee/pastry shop just to the left of the Basilica (as you face the entrance from outside) that sells the famous - and wonderfully rich - Italian hot chocolate. From there you can walk down that same street to the famous Rialto bridge, window shopping along the way. It won't take a lot of time and you will see many of the things that typifies Venice in Americans eyes.

Enjoy! Venice is my favorite city in the world for good reason. It is old and falling apart, but if you look at it with love in your heart it will be beautiful instead of sad. Ciao!

The best thing you can do with you time is ride the vaporetto (boat) along the entire Grand Canal. It is easy to do and cheap, but gives you a wonderful look at different areas of Venice. It should take you (I think) 45 minutes to do the entire thing. If you can do it around sunset or just after sunrise, it is the best, but you will enjoy it whenever you can do it.

I would skip the Gondola if you ever plan to return to Venice. However, it is a wonderful experience and you get to see back "alleys" of Venice.

Besides the vaporreto ride, you should walk around St. Mark's Square. It is the most famous area of Venice and absolutely beautiful. In November you will have fewer people to deal with so you should be able to go inside St. Mark's Basilica rather quickly. Go to the official St. Mark's website and pre-book your tour time. It is self-guided and you can't get lost, but you can experience this wonderful sanctuary in less than 30 minutes. There is a great coffee/pastry shop just to the left of the Basilica (as you face the entrance from outside) that sells the famous - and wonderfully rich - Italian hot chocolate. From there you can walk down that same street to the famous Rialto bridge, window shopping along the way. It won't take a lot of time and you will see many of the things that typifies Venice in Americans eyes.

Enjoy! Venice is my favorite city in the world for good reason. It is old and falling apart, but if you look at it with love in your heart it will be beautiful instead of sad. Ciao!

I liked your post. BUT YOUR LAST SENTENCE SAYS IT ALL!

Be careful and don't have too high of expectations. I was so disappointed, sad, but also angry that Italy has let this beautiful, historical city disintegrate before their eyes. Now that it is too late, they are worried about building a dam/dike contraption. They actually sent Engineers to Amsterdam Netherlands to see what they have done to fight the sea. While Venice is certainly historical, I have to say Amsterdam or Brugges Belgium top Venice as my favorite European city.

Isn't it wonderful that there are so many wonderful places to travel!

and hopefuly the bands are still playing.

Do the bands play in November? We will be in Venice Nov 5, 6 and 7 and are getting the impression that many of the things we have done on past summer trips will not be available, such as the orchestras on the Piazza and evening gondola rides, True? Maybe (fingers crossed) I have misunderstood?

-------------------

Helen

I agree with sandymyshoes, you have enough time only to walk around St. Mark's Square.

We are staying on the cruise ship. I would have loved to add a couple additional days but unfortunately we couldn't. I know I have little time that is why I greatly appreciate your suggestions! Thank you so much!

Archived