What is the best train ride experience in Alaska ?

gusandgidgetsmom

We are sailing on the spirit 08/23/2011. We want to find the best train ride we can. We have heard so much about many tours so we are confused. We want the train that serves either meals or snacks and has the huge glass windows. We are looking for comfort as well as great scenery. We are a group with 60 somethings, young 40's and a small child. Thank you.

We are sailing on the spirit 08/23/2011. We want to find the best train ride we can. We have heard so much about many tours so we are confused. We want the train that serves either meals or snacks and has the huge glass windows. We are looking for comfort as well as great scenery. We are a group with 60 somethings, young 40's and a small child. Thank you.

Sounds like you're describing the Alaska Railroad and unless you're coming to Anchorage, Seward, Whittier or Fairbanks, you won't get that kind of train ride.

The only other train is the White Pass Railroad out of Skagway and it's not what you describe you want.

Susan in Anchorage :)

http://alaskarailroad.com/travel/TrainTickets/tabid/92/Default.aspx

If you click on the words GOLD STAR on the right of the page, this describes the dome car service which sounds like what you are looking for.

If your cruise ends in Whittier or Seward, this is can be your transfer to Anchorage.

This is the Skagway train

http://www.wpyr.com/excursions.html

I really enjoyed the White Pass & Yukon Route train from Skagway to Fraser, BC. I would've liked it even more if I had been able to go all the way to Carcross by train! (The tracks washed out both times just before my trip.)

The Seward to Anchorage train is very scenic. I can't comment on the train to Denali and Fairbanks because I haven't taken it. However, since you're on a roundtrip cruise on Carnival Spirit - you won't have the opportunity to take the Alaska Railroad.

Archived