Useful tip..Pls share

moonandsun

We just returned off the Liberty and dined with a couple from the UK. During our conversation I made the comment that we only eat Organic Cage Free eggs, but have the worst time peeling them when they are boiled. Come to find out she raises chickens (rabbits, too) and explained to me that my eggs are too fresh. She told me what to change when I purchase them. Over the last week I did all the things she told me and BAM! perfectly peeled eggs.

What is the most useful or crazy tip you have received from a fellow cruiser?

We just returned off the Liberty and dined with a couple from the UK. During our conversation I made the comment that we only eat Organic Cage Free eggs, but have the worst time peeling them when they are boiled. Come to find out she raises chickens (rabbits, too) and explained to me that my eggs are too fresh. She told me what to change when I purchase them. Over the last week I did all the things she told me and BAM! perfectly peeled eggs.

What is the most useful or crazy tip you have received from a fellow cruiser?

I only learned the freshness issue with boiled eggs a few years ago myself. Just always assumed thay weren't that fresh, and that was the problem.

I didn't learn this one on a cruise ship, but it's something most people don't realise.

you know how when using aluminum foil, the whole roll always tries to fall out? leaving a huge mess of aluminum foil rolling accross the kitchen? LOL

well anyway, before opening the package look at both of the long ends. there is a little notch that you should push in on both ends. this prevents the roll from falling out. saves me a lot of frustration. LOL

Keep saran wrap/cling wrap in the freezer until use. It keeps it from sticking together when tearing off the roll.

When using cut apples, try soaking them in 7up instead of lemon juice to keep from turning brown. They will not absorbed the taste like they sometimes do in lemon juice.

We learned this in a cooking demo

. . . you know how when using aluminum foil, the whole roll always tries to fall out? leaving a huge mess of aluminum foil rolling accross the kitchen? LOL

well anyway, before opening the package look at both of the long ends. there is a little notch that you should push in on both ends. this prevents the roll from falling out. saves me a lot of frustration. LOL

:eek: Aaaaarrrrrgggggghhhh!!! :eek:

I just hopped up from the computer, ran downstairs, and threw open the kitchen drawer. You are totally right . . . there are, indeed, tabs on the box ends that have escaped me for many years.

Thanks a bunch for sharing that tip to this extreme Helen Keller. :o

And so this doesn't get 'dinged' as a hijack post not releated to cruising . . . your gracious info here online has put me in a better mood for my sailing next week on Carnival Sensation. :D

I didn't learn this one on a cruise ship, but it's something most people don't realise.

you know how when using aluminum foil, the whole roll always tries to fall out? leaving a huge mess of aluminum foil rolling accross the kitchen? LOL

OMG, I just ran up to the kitchen, pulled out the silver foil, and showed my DW the notch. She looked at me like I was crazy, and said I was ruining the box. I told her I read this on CC, and that we wont have a problem any more with the tube falling out and rolling across the counter.

thank you CC:):)

I have this problem, too. So what do you have to do in order to peel the eggs???? :confused:

I have this problem, too. So what do you have to do in order to peel the eggs???? :confused:

Don't know what their instructions are but mine never fails either: put eggs in pot of cold water - set to boil - bring to rolling boil for 2 minutes (or so) - remove from heat - leave eggs in water and cover for 20 minutes (or so) - drain water - toss eggs gently just enough to crack shell slightly - run cold water for 1 minute - leave sit in cold water for a couple of minutes - drain and peel. Also, you don't get that black/blue ring around the yolk you somes get from over boiling.

Count me as another one who can't believe they're just learning this, at this stage in their life! :o

And so this doesn't get 'dinged' as a hijack post not releated to cruising . . . your gracious info here online has put me in a better mood for my sailing next week on Carnival Sensation. :D

Oh! Good point. You know, I was going to bring a roll of aluminum foil on my upcoming Carnival Freedom cruise. And now I know how to keep it from falling out of the box. So this is actually a packing tip. A Carnival one. :D

Don't know what their instructions are but mine never fails either: put eggs in pot of cold water - set to boil - bring to rolling boil for 2 minutes (or so) - remove from heat - leave eggs in water and cover for 20 minutes (or so) - drain water - toss eggs gently just enough to crack shell slightly - run cold water for 1 minute - leave sit in cold water for a couple of minutes - drain and peel. Also, you don't get that black/blue ring around the yolk you somes get from over boiling.

Or you could just add a tablespoon of baking soda to the water before it starts to boil. The egg will fall right out of the shell

Did you know that 'organic' has different meanings? Our so-called 'organic' free range chicken (broilers, contract grower) IS allowed plenty of antibiotics added to the feed by the feed mills. I'm sure only certain ones & dosages are allowed, but antibiotic is even in the withdrawal feeds. I've noticed that different antibiotics cause differences in weight & switches from one type to another will cause a slight increase in deaths for a couple of days. Personally, I wonder if there is a connection to obesity in humans because of all the additives put in our food supply. Just maybe it isn't that we overeat..but WHAT we eat?

I think too much.

OMG! I'm 59 yrs old and didn't know about the alum notch. LOL, thanks so much.

Archived