Removing Automatic Tips

Cruzinbabe06

The people working on the cruise ships get paid to serve me and make sure my trip is enjoyable throughout the week. They know what their salary is before taking the job and should know that tips are not guaranteed and shouldn't be expected.

I've never had a problem with my service in the past and don't expect to in the future.

Moral of the story is...IF YOU GET PAID TO DO A JOB, DO IT! I'm sick of people always having a hand out for extra money. Bell boys, valet, taxi's, porters, room stewarts, waiters, etc. all expect extra tips. If you want to make more money I have a TIP....GET AND EDUCATION! And please don't tell me they can't afford it or don't have the oppourtunity because I know many people from all over the world that have become very successfull.

Your compassion for humanity seems to be lacking. I did get an education while being a single mom-I put myself through college being a waitress! If I'd had many people like you as customers, I never would have made it thru college.

I agree, it's just not that much money to get so wound up about. And it's split 3 ways, right?

$ 3.50 Per Day Stateroom Services

$ 5.50 Per Day Dining Room Services

$ 1.00 Per Day Alternative Services: distributed to other kitchen and hotel service staff

Sounds perfectly reasonable to me. I will happily leave my $70pp in place and tip additional accordingly.

edited to add: omg 14 days!!!:D

Same thing for me. Really, 10 dollars a day is more than reasonable to pay for the service these employees give.:)

Moral of the story is...IF YOU GET PAID TO DO A JOB, DO IT! I'm sick of people always having a hand out for extra money. Bell boys, valet, taxi's, porters, room stewarts, waiters, etc. all expect extra tips. If you want to make more money I have a TIP....GET AND EDUCATION! And please don't tell me they can't afford it or don't have the oppourtunity because I know many people from all over the world that have become very successfull.

I agree with this 100%. My husband and I own a entertainment business and get hired to do events. While it is the norm for people to tip us we never go into the event expecting to be tip nor do we add a tip to the contracted amount with a comment that if you didn't like the service you could remove it at any time. To me that isn't a tip that's a fee.

Your compassion for humanity seems to be lacking. I did get an education while being a single mom-I put myself through college being a waitress! If I'd had many people like you as customers, I never would have made it thru college.

While I commend you for putting yourself through college while being a single mother I'd like to point out that working as a waitress isn't the only job in the world that you could have done to pay for college.

I tip based on performance not what society tells me I have to tip.

Just another question, when you waitress did you walk up to the table and at the beginning and say "Hi my name is quickrate and I'll be your server tonight. I've already added your tip to the bill as a connivance to you?"

Just another question, when you waitress did you walk up to the table and at the beginning and say "Hi my name is quickrate and I'll be your server tonight. I've already added your tip to the bill as a connivance to you?"

If you're dining with a party of 8 or more, they do just that.

I have no problem with it...do you?

Couple of things.

cristallo,

The difference in you not "asking" for a tip in relation to the cruise help, is you have already negotiated(what I will assume) is a nice and fair price for your services.

They, however, are not that fortunate. They only get paid what Carnival tells them that will get paid. And Carnival knows, or at least hopes, that we will help subsidize that pay with our tips.

While I may not always agree with the logic of "tipping" before services are rendered, it is just a part of cruising and one we have all dealt with for years.

Also, one question for anyone that may know(not those that "seem" to know), how did everyone(behind the scenes people, buffet, etc.) get tips before the autotip? Back when we started cruising, the envelopes were the only option and there was only envelopes for the cabin steward, waiter, asst. waiter and maitre d.

Couple of things.

cristallo,

The difference in you not "asking" for a tip in relation to the cruise help, is you have already negotiated(what I will assume) is a nice and fair price for your services.

They, however, are not that fortunate. They only get paid what Carnival tells them that will get paid. And Carnival knows, or at least hopes, that we will help subsidize that pay with our tips.

While I may not always agree with the logic of "tipping" before services are rendered, it is just a part of cruising and one we have all dealt with for years.

Also, one question for anyone that may know(not those that "seem" to know), how did everyone(behind the scenes people, buffet, etc.) get tips before the autotip? Back when we started cruising, the envelopes were the only option and there was only envelopes for the cabin steward, waiter, asst. waiter and maitre d.

I remember those days quite well. Tipping by envelope. The others still got paid from the 15% Grats on drinks. They all still made money and even more today, or some one is.

While I commend you for putting yourself through college while being a single mother I'd like to point out that working as a waitress isn't the only job in the world that you could have done to pay for college.

When that cruise ship waiter/waitress actually RECEIVES your tip, you are already at home and still whining about tipping.

They receive nothing before service IS long since rendered and your check or credit card has cleared.

You might try looking at the situation through the eyes of someone that appreciates good service and convenience and is willing to pay for that pleasure, rather than seeing everything through the jaundiced eyes of the chronic non-tipper.

I find it interesting that you are telling the single mother that worked her way through college as a waitress that she could have worked another job-obviously, you have never been a single working mother who went to college- please tell me what job has flexible hours that could be different every day, that has addtional employees they could bring in if single mother had a medical issue with her child and needed to leave? I can not think of one that it is not in an industry whose employees are normally tipped. quickrate worked hard and made a better life for herself and her children-we should give her rave reviews and be proud of that. Congratulations quickrate!!!:D

Archived