Removing Automatic Tips

Cruzinbabe06

I like to remove the auto-tips, but I tip a little differently from other posters.

I like to give half of what I would normally tip to the room steward/waiter in the dining room on the first night. I then tip the rest on the last night.

I like them to know that I care about them doing well financially, b/c that is why they got out of bed in the morning.

Also, I like to give the deck stewards some cash at the beginning of the trip, you may complain all you want about chair hogs, but if you grease the guy who actually is in charge of the operation you should be fine.

Always get a prime seat and never have to worry about someone moving my stuff.

you tip before service is rendered? you do that in restaurants as well?

i never tip until all my service is rendered.

i take it you don't own a business. you would not get anything extra out of your own employees either.

I know exactly how you feel and I agree that it is more special when you hand the tip directly and thank them for their service. I am actually getting irate thinking that there is a list. That is very tacky and I don't think it is something Carnival should do.

On a previous entry, I believe, I read that it is not the list for the current cruise, it was the list for the prior cruise, so the crew can see why their tips were reduced based upon how many people in their section did not have automatic tips. As far as the good ole way to hand tips to the crew, we still do it, when we give the extra/over and above, tips to our favorites. :D

we keep our auto tips on, and tip extra if we feel we should and do :)

Since I've never had the need to reduce or remove tips (IMO-they have always earned what is the recommended amount and MORE)---I like your plan best thus far :)

My next cruise I'm prepaying tips

Also the crew and the cruise line know that if ANYONE removes their auto-tip, there is a 92% chance that they will stiff everybody.

I personally, believe that the only reason to remove the auto-tip at the beginning of a cruise is because that person fully intends to not tip no matter how wonderful the service is. If one does not want the auto-tip on their credit card, they may PAY cash on the last evening for the auto-tip. Then they will also know how the service has been throughout the cruise.

92% where did you get this figure from?

you tip before service is rendered? you do that in restaurants as well?

i never tip until all my service is rendered.

i take it you don't own a business. you would not get anything extra out of your own employees either.

LOL how wrong you are!

You have whet the appetitie! The service staff work for tips! Tips are why they do anything. If you establish yourself as a tipper they will go the extra mile for you! Its simple. Sorry to be cynical.

The staff are not your employees. You are not their boss. You can't fire them, you didn't hire them.

I like to remove the auto-tips, but I tip a little differently from other posters.

I like to give half of what I would normally tip to the room steward/waiter in the dining room on the first night. I then tip the rest on the last night.

I like them to know that I care about them doing well financially, b/c that is why they got out of bed in the morning.

Also, I like to give the deck stewards some cash at the beginning of the trip, you may complain all you want about chair hogs, but if you grease the guy who actually is in charge of the operation you should be fine.

Always get a prime seat and never have to worry about someone moving my stuff.

That is not a tip. That is a BRIBE.

LOL how wrong you are!

You have whet the appetitie! The service staff work for tips! Tips are why they do anything. If you establish yourself as a tipper they will go the extra mile for you! Its simple. Sorry to be cynical.

The staff are not your employees. You are not their boss. You can't fire them, you didn't hire them.

i disagree.

you tip a sloth, you still have a sloth.

We always put down a cash deposit for our Sign and Sail.

This cruise, my husband decided he wants to tip personally, with envelopes and a hand shake, like in the old days.

If I don't want the tips to come off automatically, do I tell them this when I put the money down or at the end of the cruise? Has anyone had their tips taken off for this reason? Will they question you about it?

Thanks in advance

Those were the old days....boy were they the old days, we sailed on the Marti Gras in 1976 when we got married :) The new way is much better, everyone gets what they are supposed to have and you can still shake their hands !

i disagree.

you tip a sloth, you still have a sloth.

thats why you have to tip the maitre d' to get you a good table with a good waiter

and perhaps yes its a bribe, but whats the difference? everyone wants an amazing vacation, why not pay the $ to ensure it.

would rather pay a little bit extra for amazing experience than write a post complaining about the waiter would not bring me 2 entrees or something silly like that.

thats why you have to tip the maitre d' to get you a good table with a good waiter

and perhaps yes its a bribe, but whats the difference? everyone wants an amazing vacation, why not pay the $ to ensure it.

would rather pay a little bit extra for amazing experience than write a post complaining about the waiter would not bring me 2 entrees or something silly like that.

a good cruise md will tell you to put your tip away.

never got anything but stellar service without having to feed my ego.

a good cruise md will tell you to put your tip away.

never got anything but stellar service without having to feed my ego.

LOL!!!!

If I ever meet a maitre d' who is not interested in a tip, I will contact the vatican and see what I can do about getting him/her sainthood!

LOL!!!!!!

I was told by three different Mds that they would not accept the money offered and if I still felt at the end of the cruise he/she was deserving they would gladly take it.

I love tipping threads. They are always so lighthearted and fun.

I HATE the idea of people I've never met and who might, at this very moment, not even work for CCL knowing that they are going to receive a guest paid wage subsidy. We've pre-paid our "tips" and we don't care how amazing the service is they wont get a penny more becuase CCL says that is all the tipping that's required.

Have fun bashing away....

I HATE the idea of people I've never met and who might, at this very moment, not even work for CCL knowing that they are going to receive a guest paid wage subsidy. We've pre-paid our "tips" and we don't care how amazing the service is they wont get a penny more becuase CCL says that is all the tipping that's required.

Now your talking!

So after reading everyone's different opinions... some that I find very interesting... I AM NOW CONFUSED ABOUT SOMETHING.....

I have prepaid my gratuities for my 5 day cruise for a total of $250.00... (Family of 5 x $10.00 per day). Does the money that we add to our S&S account during embarkation get added onto the prepaid gratuities.....

i.e. Prepaid Grautiies are $50.00 each..... we now put $100.00 cash on each of our S&S accounts. Does the available balance on S&S show as $150 each because we prepaid our gratuties? The last thing I need is for my kids to accidentally spend the prepaid gratuities..... I am hoping that the prepaid gratuites are not available in the S&S funds....

Does this make sense?

So after reading everyone's different opinions... some that I find very interesting... I AM NOW CONFUSED ABOUT SOMETHING.....

I have prepaid my gratuities for my 5 day cruise for a total of $250.00... (Family of 5 x $10.00 per day). Does the money that we add to our S&S account during embarkation get added onto the prepaid gratuities.....

i.e. Prepaid Grautiies are $50.00 each..... we now put $100.00 cash on each of our S&S accounts. Does the available balance on S&S show as $150 each because we prepaid our gratuties? The last thing I need is for my kids to accidentally spend the prepaid gratuities..... I am hoping that the prepaid gratuites are not available in the S&S funds....

Does this make sense?

It will show a debit and a credit. Just like pre paid shore tours.

If you tip $10.00 pppd by auto-tip, no one has a complaint. If you wish to tip more, you do. If you don't wish to tip more, you don't.

In 50 cruises, I have never tipped more than the recommended amount to a room steward for cleaning my room and bathroom. That's what he is supposed to do. I've never tipped less either. But I have NOT tipped 3 dining room waiters because they were terrible. [None on Carnival] I should say 2 waiters and 1 assistant, on 2 different ships.

What's all this talk of wanting to shake the staffs hands on the last day? With noro virus on ships, I am not shaking any hands.

The tips are fair and convenient.

Do as you wish and if it makes YOU feel better to hand over the tips I guess that is your choice.

Here we go again....

Anyways, if tipping extra, how much is customary? I usually tip 15 - 20 % at a restaurant, but over the length of a cruise? $50 for your steward? I understand the amount of tip depends on the quality of service, but how much? Double the standard tips? I'd be curious to find out how much others have tipped, if they are willing to discuss it of course.

I simply don't agree that housekeeping should be tipped $10.50 a day for 3 people staying in a room, especially if you're the kind of traveller who doesn't like housekeeping and would rather leave the Do Not Disturb sign up all day. I'm not an inconsiderate slob and I'm not going to make their job more difficult by making mess.

Also, I do not agree with the "per person per day" logic. If I just ate and decided to go to a restaurant with friends and ordered a soda, I do not feel I should tip the same amount as everybody else who is spending $20 a head. Moreover, I do not feel it necessary to tip for services not rendered, ie tipping for a night in which I ate at one of the restaurants.

They really should have an option for passengers to tip on a per meal basis and let the waiter sort out all the details by tipping out everyone else behind the scenes. "Hi Guest Relations, I didn't eat once onboard the ship on Friday and ate on shore, can you take this much off of my prepaid gratuities"???? Are you kidding me? How humiliating! Plus, I have never been somewhere that had tipping guidelines that says I should tip the hostess $X, runner $Y, expediter $Z, the busser $U and the waiter $V. Just let me leave a tip and you guys divide everything up.

Archived