Removing Automatic Tips

Cruzinbabe06

I always remove the auto tips. The workers get paid by Carnival to do a job and it should be done properly without tipping. I don't recieve tips for the work I do so why should others. I never tip and don't really care where my name is posted.

Yea I bet you too could live on $50 a month. Do you travel with family, do they know what you are doing?? I would be so embarrassed to be with you.

You obviously dont get that most people who get tipped dont make a enough salary, they mostly live off tips.

Im hoping one day Carnival starts adding this as a mandatory service charge.

I never tip and don't really care where my name is posted.

You and those like you are the reason that Carnival should not allow the auto-tip to be removed. But they do, and we don't have to like it.

I smuggle liquor and Carnival lets me, and others don't have to like that either.

I guess my attitude is live and let live.

We to love the good old days when you have the envelopes in the cabin and personally hand the crew their tips for the week.....

Here is how we have changed our minds over the years. Crew tells us that even though you may tip them personally; it does not look good on their record - that tips were removed. The Home Office sees things like this and links it to the crew and wonders if service is slipping......We asked a crew member a few years ago (a friend of ours who works on RCCL now) so rather than have any question we keep the automatic tips on and still hand out cash on the final night to those who made our trip "extra" special.

Hope you enjoy your cruise

I always remove the auto tips. The workers get paid by Carnival to do a job and it should be done properly without tipping. I don't recieve tips for the work I do so why should others. I never tip and don't really care where my name is posted.

I sure hope I do not run into you on a cruise. You obviously never had a job that depended on tips. You sound like a very unhappy person. :(

I found it interesting when I read your other posts-maybe your opinions put you in a place that you were asking this question-

"Which line is best to meet single girls? My cruise will be leaving March 5th or 6th and i'm looking for a 7 night cruise in the Caribbean."

Many women do not like a poor or non-tipper. Reflects on what you think of others and how you treat them, as do your other comments on CC. Yes, you will probably attack me for speaking my mind, but IDNC. :D

Why would you do this?

I'm not sure why she re-explained it to you, as you could have easily gotten this info from the OP that's not even very long.

OP...it's a nice concept, but I'm not sure I'd do it either. You might get poor service from your room steward at least if not the dining staff as well.

i agree with the others. Keep the auto-tip on - and give a little something extra to those that you feel deserving.

Our last cruise we ended up eating in the buffet most of the time - but wouldn't think of removing the tips as i know those people were working hard as well. For our steward we gave him something extra at the end of the cruise.

Sorry - but i always find it suspicious those looking to remove a tip prior to ever receiving service. You will be leaving out many people behind the scenes who are deserving as well.

we are requested to tip because its ment to subsidise their wages, on my last cruise this year £3 pppd for cabin steward alone!! , , was requested, so 20 cabins a day, for two people £120 a day , and that is only for the cabin!!

Carnival should not allow the auto-tip to be removed.

Then it wouldn't be a tip, it would be a charge. The charge should be figured into the price of the cruise. If you want me to tip someone for doing their job, I should have the right to pay the person directly and decide how much it should be. The idea of a forced tip takes away from the original idea of tipping.

Since your name goes on a list that the workers see, do you actually feel that you get good service? Just wondering.

This cruise, my husband decided he wants to tip personally, with envelopes and a hand shake, like in the old days.

Thanks in advance

Curious -- how will he tip the people in the buffet area? (there are many)

It is thought process like this (I may be overstating it as such:confused:) that will eventually lead to tips being part of the cruise fare. ahhh nothing like reading a post like this to get the blood pressure elevated in the morning.

We to love the good old days when you have the envelopes in the cabin and personally hand the crew their tips for the week.....

Here is how we have changed our minds over the years. Crew tells us that even though you may tip them personally; it does not look good on their record - that tips were removed. The Home Office sees things like this and links it to the crew and wonders if service is slipping......We asked a crew member a few years ago (a friend of ours who works on RCCL now) so rather than have any question we keep the automatic tips on and still hand out cash on the final night to those who made our trip "extra" special.

Hope you enjoy your cruise

Well put.

Wow. That's a really,errr , scatalogical attitude.

Have you ever wondered what you are eating and drinking on the last two days of a cruise? I'm gonna make a bet that you're not eating and drinking what you THINK you ordered.

Before my 1st cruise I had an attitude of "It's a tip, which is a reward for service above & beyond, why would I pay it before and why are THEY telling me how much and who to tip". I figured I would take it off at the end of the cruise and tip in person.

After the 1st day on the ship and seeing how hard everyone was working to make ME happy, my attitude changed. I left my tips on and still tipped more personally.

I left the tips on because of the service, not because these people only make $XX a week.

We always put down a cash deposit for our Sign and Sail.

This cruise, my husband decided he wants to tip personally, with envelopes and a hand shake, like in the old days.

If I don't want the tips to come off automatically, do I tell them this when I put the money down or at the end of the cruise? Has anyone had their tips taken off for this reason? Will they question you about it?

Thanks in advance

Why don't you leave them in place and then on the last night go to the Purser's Desk, remove them and ask them for envelopes to place your gratitudes in?

Why don't you leave them in place and then on the last night go to the Purser's Desk, remove them and ask them for envelopes to place your gratitudes in?

Yeah....sounds like a great idea. Don't have the guts to face the music during the week and try and screw up out of the money on the last night.....good idea:cool:

Things that make you go Hmmmmmmmmmmmm. Someone with at least 10 cruises asking about removing their auto-tips so they can tip the "old fashioned way". Yeah right.

hmmmmm I dont see signatures. If they have cruised 10 times before they probably know how to remove tips... or you would think they would know.

Its the economy I guess. People cant afford to tip $10 a day so they remove tips and ease their guilt by tipping in person what they feel they can. I know Id feel guilty, maybe they dont. .. but some probably cant afford it in this economy.

hmmmmm I dont see signatures. If they have cruised 10 times before they probably know how to remove tips... or you would think they would know.

Its the economy I guess. People cant afford to tip $10 a day so they remove tips and ease their guilt by tipping in person what they feel they can. I know Id feel guilty, maybe they dont. .. but some probably cant afford it in this economy.

You may be right, but I hate reading all these posts about tip removal..... like your cruise on the Conquest as an example. I just don't get it....

My DH and I also like the old way of handing the person the tips and thanking them personally for all their hard work. But times have changed and auto tipping has become the norm. I was told by an avid cruiser that the cruise lines started doing this because people were not tipping at all. And as someone who has worked as a server I beleive this to be the case. Many times people would get a $100.00 meal and tip $10.00 while praising my service and the meal. Of course they don't understand that I have to tip out the bartender and the busboy. So in reality I just paid for you to eat out.

We will leave the auto tip on as it is on our next cruise and just give alittle extra with a note thanking them. I always remember that to be served is a blessing and not being gracious is a disgrace!

And if folks really want to tip that way, then just do it.

It will never make sense to me, as I find the auto-tips quite convenient, and I know that those providing great service to me will receive my tips. I also know that I can adjust them if warranted, and give extra cash on my own if I want. It's a great system.

But to start yet another thread about it, especially with all the prior cruise experience :rolleyes:... still makes me go hmmmmmm. :)

Because we want to pay in person, on our last night, like we use to do.

In the old days, your cabin steward would give you envelopes and you were able to hand deliver your gratuity and show your appreciation to the workers and say thank you and shake their hand. It was just a more personal gesture back then.

The service and work that they do is sometimes so overwhelming, I really don't know how they do it every week. I work for a major airline, and the attitudes that some folks have is just horrible. By the end of the day I need Excedrin.:eek: And that's just an 8 hr shift.

So my husband made a comment he don't want the tips to come out automatically. He wants to give it to them hand to hand.

I'd leave the tip and if your DH wants to tip individually for those who serve you above expectations, let him give them an envelope. The set tips are my base line and I tip individually as service warrants.

Archived