Removing Automatic Tips

Cruzinbabe06

you tip before service is rendered? you do that in restaurants as well?

i never tip until all my service is rendered.

i take it you don't own a business. you would not get anything extra out of your own employees either.

Ever parked your car using valet? If you tip them in the beginning they always park your car closer and get it to you faster because they know that you at least tipped them.

Same thing at bars. When I'm planning to be at an unfamiliar bar for a few hours. I always tip $10-20 right off the back and then $2-3 for rounds after that. They know I already tipped them well, and they'll take care of me if the bar gets crazy busy.

Ever parked your car using valet? If you tip them in the beginning they always park your car closer and get it to you faster because they know that you at least tipped them.

Oh, how I remember those days. They were the cars we'd use to get high, and listen to Heart and Kansas. Joy rides too! :D

Since your name goes on a list that the workers see, do you actually feel that you get good service? Just wondering.

Once again. The crew do not see the names of people currently on the cruise, they only see the names from the previous cruise.

Plus, I have never been somewhere that had tipping guidelines that says I should tip the hostess $X, runner $Y, expediter $Z, the busser $U and the waiter $V. Just let me leave a tip and you guys divide everything up.

You ARE just leaving a tip of $10 per day, and they're dividing it up as they see fit. They're just explaining to you where it goes.

Should you go to a restaurant and tip $5, they will certainly tip the hostess $X, the busboy/runner $Y, and the waiter $V, you just don't know that specific formula.

Once again. The crew do not see the names of people currently on the cruise, they only see the names from the previous cruise.

List or no list, thinking [hoping] they don't know is incredibly naive. They need no list, The Purser knows, so the workers know. Its called reality.

I just can't wrap my head around someone thinking that they're going to go running around and tip the assistant steward, the cook, and all 40 of the lido servers...

Wait...they won't. THOSE are the people that get stiffed when you go around handing people cash at the end of the cruise, instead of letting the payroll department do their job and ration it out to everyone.

Let me ask you a question, OP. When you have that cash in your hand on the last day, how much is it? Does it equal the $10 per day? If so, then you're basically giving extra to the waiter/AW/steward/AS, and nothing to all 50 other people that have helped you throughout the cruise. If it's more than $10 per day, why not just leave the $10 per day on the card and take the extra over and above that and break it up amongst your waiter/AW/steward/AS however you see fit, so that way you're getting your "olden days" way, AND not stiffing people who have worked hard for you all week?

I just can't wrap my head around someone thinking that they're going to go running around and tip the assistant steward, the cook, and all 40 of the lido servers...

Wait...they won't. THOSE are the people that get stiffed when you go around handing people cash at the end of the cruise, instead of letting the payroll department do their job and ration it out to everyone.

Let me ask you a question, OP. When you have that cash in your hand on the last day, how much is it? Does it equal the $10 per day? If so, then you're basically giving extra to the waiter/AW/steward/AS, and nothing to all 50 other people that have helped you throughout the cruise. If it's more than $10 per day, why not just leave the $10 per day on the card and take the extra over and above that and break it up amongst your waiter/AW/steward/AS however you see fit, so that way you're getting your "olden days" way, AND not stiffing people who have worked hard for you all week?

Them that are supposedly running around with cash in their hand,,,,,,,,,,,,Aren't,,,,,,,,,They are out at the curb looking for a cabbie to stiff too.

Do what you want and do not listen to others.

We always stop our auto tip on the last night of the cruise.

We tip the ones that do for us, sometimes right then - other wise on the last night.

Ok now, get real, the list you say you see during the galley tour is from the last cruise. , You can not stop your AT at the begining as it is not posted until about half way through the cruise. Even if it is from the current cruise how do they know your name. 4 to 12 people at a table or booth, so they can pick you out and spit in your food, I think not so why go there.

You do it your way and the rest of us will do it our way. Thank You

Do what you want and do not listen to others.

We always stop our auto tip on the last night of the cruise.

We tip the ones that do for us, sometimes right then - other wise on the last night.

Ok now, get real, the list you say you see during the galley tour is from the last cruise. , You can not stop your AT at the begining as it is not posted until about half way through the cruise. Even if it is from the current cruise how do they know your name. 4 to 12 people at a table or booth, so they can pick you out and spit in your food, I think not so why go there.

You do it your way and the rest of us will do it our way. Thank You

Our shows up on our bill daily. We look on the monitor in our cabin and it is there every day

Ok, will do a test just for you good people here on my next cruise.

As I enter the ship the first day I will go to the Guest Services Desk and have my Auto Tips removed. Then I will come here and post what all happened or did not happen to us on our nontip cruise.

Hey, guys! We've found our people that go around to tip all the servers and dishwashers and drink carriers on the lido deck!

Man, you must get tired running around taking care of all the people who do things for you.

Exactly ^^^^^ and what is the point of having a list up from the previous cruise? What purpose would that serve?

Ok, will do a test just for you good people here on my next cruise.

As I enter the ship the first day I will go to the Guest Services Desk and have my Auto Tips removed. Then I will come here and post what all happened or did not happen to us on our nontip cruise.

Sounds Good.......

Our shows up on our bill daily. We look on the monitor in our cabin and it is there every day

On Carnival:confused: I'm actually looking at our last two sail and sign bills and the full amount for each of us $70 is posted on the second evening......I know Princess shows it daily but not Carnival.......

And regards to the list in the galley that was only on one cruise. It was the swine flu cruise in which many many people were upset and removed their tips. I have been on several galley tours and there has been no such list......

We've just finished reading all of the feedback and we decided to leave the tips on and bring envelopes for additional tipping to the staff we feel most deserving.

Thanks everyone for your feedback.:o

You have chosen....wisely.

I'm sure you would be more than happy working their hours with the salary the cruise lines pay :)

And North Americans get bashed for being lazy! These workers from all over the world can't work without a tip....DISGUSTING!

Well, I understand that after paying a lot for a cruise, being faced wih an automatic tip at the end just seems like more money being tacked on, HOWEVER, if you work out the math, the tipping rate isn't that high. Take the number of days in the cruise and multiply it by ten, then multiply that by the number of persons ($10 tip per day per person). Then divide the total cost of your cruise to see the percentage of tip you will be paying. For example, a 7 day cruise for a family of 6 that paid $5,000 total for the cruise would be shelling out only an 8.4% tip wih automatic tipping. Even though a $420 tippng bill at the end seems high, 8% is not bad! A couple who spent $2,000 for a 7 day cruise would only be paying a 7% tip. A family of 3 who took a 5 day cruise and spent $1,500 total would pay a 10% tip. It can be higher or lower depending on the number of days, people, and whatever "deal" you got in the first place, so it's worth it to work out the math and see how much a percentage you are really paying in tips.

P. S. Hope I did my math correctly for all the samples! I was trying to work them out quickly. ;)

Well, I understand that after paying a lot for a cruise, being faced wih an automatic tip at the end just seems like more money being tacked on, HOWEVER, if you work out the math, the tipping rate isn't that high. Take the number of days in the cruise and multiply it by ten, then multiply that by the number of persons ($10 tip per day per person). Then divide the total cost of your cruise to see the percentage of tip you will be paying. For example, a 7 day cruise for a family of 6 that paid $5,000 total for the cruise would be shelling out only an 8.4% tip wih automatic tipping. Even though a $420 tippng bill at the end seems high, 8% is not bad! A couple who spent $2,000 for a 7 day cruise would only be paying a 7% tip. A family of 3 who took a 5 day cruise and spent $1,500 total would pay a 10% tip. It can be higher or lower depending on the number of days, people, and whatever "deal" you got in the first place, so it's worth it to work out the math and see how much a percentage you are really paying in tips.

P. S. Hope I did my math correctly for all the samples! I was trying to work them out quickly. ;)

I just look at it that it's $1.66 per person per meal. Hardly a lot of money for the service you get.

That's not true. We sail with someone that do this every cruise.

And every cruise, they are approached by their waitstaff as to what they've done to cause them to remove their tips, and how can they make it right.

I'm sure you'll tell me it's none of my business - but then do you follow-up and leave a nice tip for each person who has provided you service for the week.

I know each person has their opinion, but I really just don't get the attitude people take towards the auto-tip. And I've yet to see where any of the crew doesn't deserve the money. Seriously, to just remove everything and "claim" to handing a tip directly to them (I'm sure less than you would have provided in the auto-tip).

It amazes me that people forget that this is a service industry and therefore people's pay is dependent on tips from patrons. Good alternative would be increase the pay of the crew in these service positions - and just pass on that increased expense to the passengers. Then you can factor into the cost of your vacation all expenses because it's there in your fare.

You know each person has their opinion, but you don't get it when their opinion differs from yours?!?!?!?!?!? Sounds to me like you don't really think they are entitled to their opinion. Then you say people "claim" to hand someone a tip....and if they do you are sure it is less than would have been provided in the auto-tip!?!?!?!?!? You might as well have called them all liars.....

You are right ... this is a service industry (although not all who work in service are paid by tips). And a tip is (or should be) payment for a job well done. And that payment should be at the discretion of the person receiving the service. And the amount decided by the person receiving the service. An "automatic service fee" is not a "tip." It is an employee's wages being paid for by the customer, over and above what they paid for the "service." Figure it in to the cost of the cruise (or meal, or whatever) and pay the employees a fair wage.

Archived