Removing Automatic Tips

Cruzinbabe06

We always keep the auto tips on and then go to the Pursers desk to get envelopes and give money out to those we think deserve extra. This way we're not taking away from others that deserve it. In my opinion, if you can't afford to tip, you shouldn't cruise. The same with restaurants....if you can't afford to tip go to a fast food restaurant.

I didn't know you could remove the auto-tip thing. I have never cruised before...this is my first.... we are leaving on Halloween on the Splendor. I think they said it is an addtl $70.00 per person for our seven day cruise. Like I said, I have never cruised but the way it sounds there is alot of good service, alot of things going on and the crew is very helpful so really $10.00 a day doesnt sound bad to me. And if someone gives me really good service I would tip them more in cash. Happy Cruising to everyone.:)

You know each person has their opinion, but you don't get it when their opinion differs from yours?!?!?!?!?!? Sounds to me like you don't really think they are entitled to their opinion. Then you say people "claim" to hand someone a tip....and if they do you are sure it is less than would have been provided in the auto-tip!?!?!?!?!? You might as well have called them all liars.....

You are right ... this is a service industry (although not all who work in service are paid by tips). And a tip is (or should be) payment for a job well done. And that payment should be at the discretion of the person receiving the service. And the amount decided by the person receiving the service. An "automatic service fee" is not a "tip." It is an employee's wages being paid for by the customer, over and above what they paid for the "service." Figure it in to the cost of the cruise (or meal, or whatever) and pay the employees a fair wage.

Carnival does NOT have an 'automatic service fee.' NCL does. Carnival has a voluntary auto-tip procedure that is 100% removable/adjustable 24/7 throughout the cruise. At your discretion, your may remove or adjust the tips up or down, en masse, or by individual server. If you wish to change tipping to a regular wage paid by the employer, start with all the restaurants in the USA first. There are millions of young Americans working for well below minimum wages plus tips with the full approval of your elected politicians. Of course you will need to be prepared to pay 40% to 45% more per meal while dining out instead of the voluntary 15% to 20% tip.

And cruise lines HAVE tracked those who remove the auto-tip to, "Tip in cash." The results is that 92% of those, "tip in cash," people stiff the help by tipping NOT A SINGLE PENNY TO ANYONE.

We always keep the auto tips on and then go to the Pursers desk to get envelopes and give money out to those we think deserve extra.

Sounds perfect to me! We've been know to bring some little thank you cards to include a note along with whatever extra tip we may decide to include

I always use the Prepaid Gratuities option and wouldn't even consider asking for a refund. To me, it's a service fee just like the 15% service fee automatically added to beverage services. As a matter of fact, I'd like it if Carnival would simply raise their fares by including the $10 per day, per customer, and call it a service fee. It would reduce lines at Guest Services and allow customers, who have real issues with their on-board accounts, to get through the lines faster.

By the way, do some of the people on here who protest the auto-tip also protest the 15% service charge on bar services?

I personnally don't like that the tips are automatically charged to my S&S card. That is not a tip.......that is a charge.

In the past, I used the envelopes and tipped as requested, in some instances higher than requested. Then they started the automatic charging. I removed them maybe one or two cruises and paid by envelopes the amounts requested and again, some got more.

.....but.....because of all the negative threads on the boards, I leave my tips as is ($10 pp).......BUT I don't tip any higher because I'm made to feel terrible or cheap or unappreciative about the service and about how much is tipped........:(

Because we want to pay in person, on our last night, like we use to do.

In the old days, your cabin steward would give you envelopes and you were able to hand deliver your gratuity and show your appreciation to the workers and say thank you and shake their hand. It was just a more personal gesture back then.

The service and work that they do is sometimes so overwhelming, I really don't know how they do it every week. I work for a major airline, and the attitudes that some folks have is just horrible. By the end of the day I need Excedrin.:eek: And that's just an 8 hr shift.

So my husband made a comment he don't want the tips to come out automatically. He wants to give it to them hand to hand.

I haven't read through all the posts here, but if you want to show appreciation, why not leave auto tips on and just find each worker and thank them and shake their hand. You really wouldn't have to hand them the tip personally to show appreciation or you could give them a little extra tip, if possible. The handshake and a word or two of thanks would go miles toward showing that. I'm sure the workers would appreciate having the auto tips left on your account. If you take them off, they have to turn anything they receive in to be pooled anyway.

I always use the Prepaid Gratuities option and wouldn't even consider asking for a refund. To me, it's a service fee just like the 15% service fee automatically added to beverage services. As a matter of fact, I'd like it if Carnival would simply raise their fares by including the $10 per day, per customer, and call it a service fee. It would reduce lines at Guest Services and allow customers, who have real issues with their on-board accounts, to get through the lines faster.

By the way, do some of the people on here who protest the auto-tip also protest the 15% service charge on bar services?

No they smuggle their booze on:rolleyes:

I haven't read through all the posts here, but if you want to show appreciation, why not leave auto tips on and just find each worker and thank them and shake their hand. You really wouldn't have to hand them the tip personally to show appreciation or you could give them a little extra tip, if possible. The handshake and a word or two of thanks would go miles toward showing that. I'm sure the workers would appreciate having the auto tips left on your account. If you take them off, they have to turn anything they receive in to be pooled anyway.

This is not true.......

I personnally don't like that the tips are automatically charged to my S&S card. That is not a tip.......that is a charge.

In the past, I used the envelopes and tipped as requested, in some instances higher than requested. Then they started the automatic charging. I removed them maybe one or two cruises and paid by envelopes the amounts requested and again, some got more.

.....but.....because of all the negative threads on the boards, I leave my tips as is ($10 pp).......BUT I don't tip any higher because I'm made to feel terrible or cheap or unappreciative about the service and about how much is tipped........:(

In the PAST nobody had a cell phone or a lap top or an iPad. Ships were tiny and customers did not use credit cards much. Now that's all different, its 10/21/2010

AND in the PAST, the last night, the dining room was half empty OR MORE, because people skipped a meal rather than tip. Yes there is some coercion in the auto-tip, there needs to be to slow down the cheap screws.

Carnival does NOT have an 'automatic service fee.' NCL does. Carnival has a voluntary auto-tip procedure that is 100% removable/adjustable 24/7 throughout the cruise. At your discretion, your may remove or adjust the tips up or down, en masse, or by individual server. If you wish to change tipping to a regular wage paid by the employer, start with all the restaurants in the USA first. There are millions of young Americans working for well below minimum wages plus tips with the full approval of your elected politicians. Of course you will need to be prepared to pay 40% to 45% more per meal while dining out instead of the voluntary 15% to 20% tip.

And cruise lines HAVE tracked those who remove the auto-tip to, "Tip in cash." The results is that 92% of those, "tip in cash," people stiff the help by tipping NOT A SINGLE PENNY TO ANYONE.

I am aware technically you can remove the "auto-tip" that is charged to your bill at a predetermined amount. Sorry, a predetermined amount is not a tip - it is a service charge. I decide how much I tip in a restaurant. I decide how much I tip a porter. I decide how much I tip a hair dresser. I decide how much I tip a taxi driver. And IF I tip them. If I get lousy service, I give a lousy tip. If I get great service, I give a great tip. I don't tip someone because it is expected.

Oh and by the way, I have never removed an auto-tip. I don't agree with the system, but that is the system that is in place and will either play by those rules or not play at all. My choice. And that's all I am saying really - it should be my choice...or any passenger's choice. And people should not be flamed and called liars because their opinion does not agree with yours.

Tipping is a hot topic on cruise critic. Everyone has an opinion about it. Our opinion shouldn't matter to you. If your husband wants to tip in person, then thats the way you should do it.

The opportunity is there for you to remove the tips because Carnival allows it. So if you want to do that, then do it.

There are pros and cons for both sides, and the sides will never meet in the middle.

I agree. Tip how you want and how much you want. I'm a good tipper, i work in the food service industry so I understand, but at the same time tipping is voluntary in addition to a base pay so its not mandatory.

And the same people that tell you what a horrible person you are for removing the tips are the same people that break the rules and smuggle booze and yet that is ok to them even though they are taking money away from the cruise line and the bartender.

Opinions are like a-holes, everyone has one. Do what you feel is best. :)

Auto tip is all that is expected.....

I guess this is really where my issue is with the whole tip thing (and not just on a cruise)....that it is EXPECTED. Bad service? Tough...I still expect the 15% tip. One of a few professions where you expect to get paid no matter what type of job you do (right up there with weathermen and athletes :))

I guess this is really where my issue is with the whole tip thing (and not just on a cruise)....that it is EXPECTED. Bad service? Tough...I still expect the 15% tip. One of a few professions where you expect to get paid no matter what type of job you do (right up there with weathermen and athletes :))

Restaurants that add the auto tip for larger than 8 in a group can have it happen too.

You know each person has their opinion, but you don't get it when their opinion differs from yours?!?!?!?!?!? Sounds to me like you don't really think they are entitled to their opinion. Then you say people "claim" to hand someone a tip....and if they do you are sure it is less than would have been provided in the auto-tip!?!?!?!?!? You might as well have called them all liars.....

You are right ... this is a service industry (although not all who work in service are paid by tips). And a tip is (or should be) payment for a job well done. And that payment should be at the discretion of the person receiving the service. And the amount decided by the person receiving the service. An "automatic service fee" is not a "tip." It is an employee's wages being paid for by the customer, over and above what they paid for the "service." Figure it in to the cost of the cruise (or meal, or whatever) and pay the employees a fair wage.

Very well said!

And North Americans get bashed for being lazy! These workers from all over the world can't work without a tip....DISGUSTING!

'These workers from all over the world' come to the cruise lines and work their butts off serving you for a very small salary and they depend on the tips and you, Mr. maj288, that does not tip anyone, per a past post of yours, judges them as disgusting. Look into a mirror-:p

Also, I have not heard that North Americans get bashed for being lazy. Maybe, that was said to you for a reason.:D

Actually my point was to the other poster whos posted he didn't tip anything more then the auto tip......many on here make it sound like the auto tip is a service charge therefore they need to tip well above which is ridiculous IMO......

:confused:

HUH????

That makes no sense.

You used to tip extra but now don't because of the conversations on these boards?????

:rolleyes:

I always remove the auto tips. The workers get paid by Carnival to do a job and it should be done properly without tipping. I don't recieve tips for the work I do so why should others. I never tip and don't really care where my name is posted.

maj288 you are so rude you give canadians a real bad name!:mad:

I am aware technically you can remove the "auto-tip" that is charged to your bill at a predetermined amount. Sorry, a predetermined amount is not a tip - it is a service charge. I decide how much I tip in a restaurant. I decide how much I tip a porter. I decide how much I tip a hair dresser. I decide how much I tip a taxi driver. And IF I tip them. If I get lousy service, I give a lousy tip. If I get great service, I give a great tip. I don't tip someone because it is expected.

Oh and by the way, I have never removed an auto-tip. I don't agree with the system, but that is the system that is in place and will either play by those rules or not play at all. My choice. And that's all I am saying really - it should be my choice...or any passenger's choice. And people should not be flamed and called liars because their opinion does not agree with yours.

Your premise totally lacks any validity. You MAY increase or decrease the auto-tip or leave it alone. IT IS TOTALLY UP TO YOU. It is in no way comparable to a service charge which is a straight non-negotiable charge.

In addition to increasing the auto-tip IF you so desire, you can just tip an additional amount to whomever YOU choose in cash.

THERE IS NO TIP "EXPECTED" FOR BAD SERVICE!

If you receive bad service and do nothing about it, you are enabling bad service for your following cruisers. and doing a disservice to the cruise line.

Cruise service is normally excellent. BUT, in 50 cruises I have not tipped one waiter on one ship, and not tipped a waiter and his assistant on another ship. All were miserably bad at their jobs. I totally agree that tipping for bad service is not only wrong, it is stupid.

But complaining about an auto-tip that is 100% in your control throughout your cruise just does not hold any water at all.

:confused:

HUH????

That makes no sense.

You used to tip extra but now don't because of the conversations on these boards?????

:rolleyes:

Yes....people are always saying if you remove the auto-tip.....that people don't pay. They're also saying we're cheap or trying to save money. They ASSume we're not paying our fair share.........so now I pay my fair share....just the auto-tips.

FYI......Our rooms are ALWAYS clean (I pick up after my family), we're considerate with our towels (use them twice), I NEVER smuggle booze on the cruise (so we're paying 15% tip there), and I buy more than one soda card (many people share a soda card to save money).

I have been yelled at and judged on these boards and made to feel like I was taking advantage of these "poor" people....

maj288 you are so rude you give canadians a real bad name!:mad:

Don't worry-at least most of us are well aware that maj is in no way an indicator of the vast majority of Canadians. There are some like that everywhere-and thankfully they're in the minority

I always remove the auto tips. The workers get paid by Carnival to do a job and it should be done properly without tipping. I don't recieve tips for the work I do so why should others. I never tip and don't really care where my name is posted.

May one of those lazy servers lay a loogie in you linguine

Archived