Adding to the AYWD confusion

Ellen Dio

We used the AYW dining option on the Westerdam.
We also love AYWD. It works wonderfully for us - the same table, waiter, tablemates, and time for dinner each night. We also enjoy that we don't need to call for reservations, unless we decide to go to the PG.

I see no signs of stress in any of these posts re AYWD, only in those who feel it exists.

I can quite understand HAL newbies, and maybe some veterans, assuming AYWD refers to open dining. Others might relate it to Anytime Dining On Princess, which is more descriptive.

Besides, without threads such as this, and dress codes, Cruise Critic would be but a shadow of itself.:D

I see no signs of stress in any of these posts re AYWD, only in those who feel it exists.

I can quite understand HAL newbies, and maybe some veterans, assuming AYWD refers to open dining. Others might relate it to Anytime Dining On Princess, which is more descriptive.

Agree, and what does it matter how different people interpret it anyway. HAL confused it to begin with by starting to use the term when they introduced open dining, so I can see people thinking it refers to open seating/open times. But in the long run the same dining options are there for everyone no matter what the 'strict' interpretation of AYWD really is, so why the nitpicking?

Agree, and what does it matter how different people interpret it anyway. HAL confused it to begin with by starting to use the term when they introduced open dining, so I can see people thinking it refers to open seating/open times. But in the long run the same dining options are there for everyone no matter what the 'strict' interpretation of AYWD really is, so why the nitpicking?

I couldn't agree more.

Stop the nitpicking, what's the big deal? :confused:

In case anyone thinks I'm a nitpicker ... nope.

I just defend those who are confused by the term - because as soon as they post and use the term incorrectly, in swoop the AYWD Police!!! :D

And THAT is who gets stressed by misuse of the term -- just to be clear. ;)

I am in agreement with the OP on all of this.

I just defend those who are confused by the term - because as soon as they post and use the term incorrectly, in swoop the AYWD Police!!! :D
Gosh - all this time I thought people were here to learn. How else are the "confused" to learn? Don't certain posters let others know that, no matter what their TAs tell them, the nice large HA cabin they've managed to snag, will be given to someone who actually needs the HA, should they try to book it? Misinformation is rampant. ;)

Gosh - all this time I thought people were here to learn. How else are the "confused" to learn? Don't certain posters let others know that, no matter what their TAs tell them, the nice large HA cabin they've managed to snag, will be given to someone who actually needs the HA, should they try to book it? Misinformation is rampant. ;)

There is a way to educate, and there is a way to attack.

Some are gifted in educating others.

And some prefer the attack mode.

As far as your reference to the HC cabin issue: apples to oranges.

And far from subtle.

I rarely post here anymore because innocent questions/comments seem to be pounced upon. does it REALLY matter what context AYWD on HAL is used in? Really? trust me--"confused" people will not welcome being talked down to and feeling like a fool for using terms or abbreviations in the wrong way. As is often pointed out tone cannot be determined in the written word and often comes off much more harshly than intended.

As a newbie I was thrilled to find CC. Even though we'd been on previous cruises I found it a source of great information and shared interests and the more experienced members could not have been kinder. Times have clearly changed.....:(

And there's the proof.

No amount of bickering, ranting, calmly educating, shouting, etc. is going to get it through people's heads!!! :D

This thread reminds me of "Who's on first."

Did you get to eat?

This seems to be a big to do over nothing.

The only confusion I have ever run into on the subject is on this board, by particularly dense people who insist they don't know what people are talking about when they say "I had as-you-wish-dining".

Hrm. No one who had fixed seating would ever say they had "As-you-wish-dining" (except for the above mentioned small group), no one who ate in the Lido would say they had it (they'd say "I ate in the Lido"), and certainly no one who ordered room service would say it. Yet there is a dedicated group who insist on replying to every post that mentions open seating as "AYWD" with "well, were you fixed seating, or open"?

Personally, I am much happier cruise critic, travel agents, and HAL staff talk in a language that passengers understand instead of picking apart definitions of words.

Hrm. No one who had fixed seating would ever say they had "As-you-wish-dining" (except for the above mentioned small group), no one who ate in the Lido would say they had it (they'd say "I ate in the Lido"), and certainly no one who ordered room service would say it.

Exactly!... and that's why it was a dumb move on HAL's part to call ALL dining options "As You Wish Dining".

The only confusion I have ever run into on the subject is on this board, by particularly dense people who insist they don't know what people are talking about when they say "I had as-you-wish-dining".

Hrm. No one who had fixed seating would ever say they had "As-you-wish-dining" (except for the above mentioned small group), no one who ate in the Lido would say they had it (they'd say "I ate in the Lido"), and certainly no one who ordered room service would say it. Yet there is a dedicated group who insist on replying to every post that mentions open seating as "AYWD" with "well, were you fixed seating, or open"?

Personally, I am much happier cruise critic, travel agents, and HAL staff talk in a language that passengers understand instead of picking apart definitions of words.

You explained the situation perfectly!

And excellent point about the people at various venues - fixed seating, PG, etc - who would never say they had AYWD. ;)

This is laughable! :rolleyes: I can't believe that you seriously think that the use or misuse of AYWD is the same as the on-gong discussions with people who brag about snagging those handicapped cabins when they don't need them..

Constantly criticizing those who happen to misuse the term AYWD is not teaching, it's harping!

Touché photomikey!:):):)

Cheers.....:)Betty

This is laughable! :rolleyes: I can't believe that you seriously think that the use or misuse of AYWD is the same as the on-gong discussions with people who brag about snagging those handicapped cabins when they don't need them..

Constantly criticizing those who happen to misuse the term AYWD is not teaching, it's harping!

Touché photomikey!:):):)

Cheers.....:)Betty

Amen! Thank you Betty and photomikey. (emphasis mine) All the harping, pouncing and attacking (and that IS what it is) got old a long, long time ago.

I really have to wonder why for some it is the life mission to "educate" others about this.....IMHO it appears that some who prefer Traditional Dining are worried that others will think they aren't "getting what they wish" ...:confused: That's just ridiculous. Of course they are, why would anyone think otherwise.

.....IMHO it appears that some who prefer Traditional Dining are worried that others will think they aren't "getting what they wish" ...:confused: That's just ridiculous. Of course they are, why would anyone think otherwise.

Hm. Most of the time just reading the posts I got quite the opposite feeling: Some who prefer "open dining" (or how ever you want to call it) tell people of course "traditional dining" was part of the "All you wish" concept.

Yet, there are many reports of people who "wished" traditional dining and did not get it.

Thousands of passengers are forced into a dining form they do not wish. This is the much more serious issue than the question which name is correctly used by whom.

The most valuable information that I have received about this subject is:

If you want a certain table, and you don't have traditional dining, make a reservation in the morning up by the Lido deck or you can call on the house phone.

We were so happy on the Veendam in August, Bermuda sailing, and found a lovely table for two that we liked, so we reserved it most days. You can reserve for two evenings, too, if you like.

Nice to be patient with the employee while you are doing this. It is an exasperating job when they encounter impatient people.

We loved that cruise!:)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1301144

It turns out that Any Way You Wish is not Any Way You Wish if you wished for Any Way You Wish and a large group of spys takes over Any Way You Wish. Of course, one could always wish for traditional, early or main seating which is part of Any Way You Wish and different from the Any Way You Wish part of Any Way You Wish Dining that one wished for but didn't get. Most people who don't get what they wished for with Any Way You Wish, wished for the traditional part of Any Way You Wish which is different from wishing for the Any Way You Wish part of Any Way You Wish Dining and not getting what they wished for.

I wish people would get it straight!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1301144

It turns out that Any Way You Wish is not Any Way You Wish if you wished for Any Way You Wish and a large group of spys takes over Any Way You Wish. Of course, one could always wish for traditional, early or main seating which is part of Any Way You Wish and different from the Any Way You Wish part of Any Way You Wish Dining that one wished for but didn't get. Most people who don't get what they wished for with Any Way You Wish, wished for the traditional part of Any Way You Wish which is different from wishing for the Any Way You Wish part of Any Way You Wish Dining and not getting what they wished for.

I wish people would get it straight!

This is how the wife and I wished to dine, but was not how HAL wished we would wish to dine. So we now have what I think of as the "Anyway, You Wish" dining, but they did put us on a waitlist so we may have a chance to dine as we wish. But most likely we will not get our wish and will have the "Anyway, You Wish" dining. Our plan is to to try and make this "Anyway, You Wish" dining as much like the dining we actually wish for by requesting the same table at the same time we wished for. Please wish us luck!

Archived