Adding to the AYWD confusion

Ellen Dio

A while back I started a post that brought up all the As You Wish Dining controversy. There were a few "non-regulars" here who were confused and others who didn't seem to understand why it was all so confusing - As You Wish is just that some wish fixed seating some don't. OK that seems clear - and yet I was still confused why I had such a strong feeling that the As You Wish part referred to the non-traditional open seating - than I just re-read the Westerdam review that is featured on here for that ship and well, now I know why I was confused (and I quote) "There are two dining options for passengers. Those who prefer the traditional fixed-seating scenario can opt for set schedules and tablemates at 6 p.m. and 8:30 p.m. (times may vary slightly depending on itinerary) on Deck 3 of the restaurant. (WAIT- here it comes) We opted for the other choice: As You Wish dining. Deck 2 of the Vista is dedicated to a more restaurant-style scenario, in which tables are available, via walk-in or by reservation, from 5:15 – 9 p.m. We generally went the reservation route but only very occasionally was there a line for As You Wish dining." So I would guess that the group of very helpful, repete HAL cruisers who offer their input here so graciously should settle back and expect to be clearing up the As You Wish Dining confusion for a long time to come.

Yes. It was a dumb move on HAL's part to name all dining, 'As You Wish Dining'.

They didn't think it through. If they had, they would have realized when people hear/read 'As You Wish', they will at first, question what it means - and automatically paraphrase it (in their minds) to mean 'Any Time You Want' i.e. non-taditional.

Having recently sailed on Celebrity using select dining and with a HAL Bermuda cruise booked for this coming August....Celebrity we "pre reserved" via their website prior to boarding a preferred dining time for each day. How exactly does HAL's AYWD program work? We like the flexiblity of not being locked in to early (too early) or late (too late) dining. Sailing as a family we like sharing dinner together during vacation versus sitting with others each night. Thanks all as always for the great information

Yes. It was a dumb move on HAL's part to name all dining, 'As You Wish Dining'.

They didn't think it through. If they had, they would have realized when people hear/read 'As You Wish', they will at first, question what it means - and automatically paraphrase it (in their minds) to mean 'Any Time You Want' i.e. non-taditional.

You are absolutely right.

And the proof is that the confusion continues ... and even some of the HAL staff use AYWD to mean open seating ... as do some TAs!

The term was introduced when HAL moved away from fixed seating in both levels of the MDR.

Does that mean that prior to open seating, we were not dining as we wished? :confused:

I expect the confusion will continue for a long time, as the OP pointed out!

How exactly does HAL's AYWD program work? We like the flexiblity of not being locked in to early (too early) or late (too late) dining.

I expect the confusion will continue for a long time, as the OP pointed out!

If any evidence of continued confusion were needed, it was provided above.

To answer robertmartha's question---

The preferred option of HAL's As You Wish Dining program is requested at booking. That is, you request either fixed seating or open seating.

Since your question seems to indicate that you want the open seating option, you have two choices each day. You can call for a reservation at given times, or show up when you are ready.

If any evidence of continued confusion were needed, it was provided above.

To answer robertmartha's question---

The preferred option of HAL's As You Wish Dining program is requested at booking. That is, you request either fixed seating or open seating.

Since your question seems to indicate that you want the open seating option, you have two choices each day. You can call for a reservation at given times, or show up when you are ready.

Before and after my HAL voyage, a LOT of people on these threads were complaining they didn't get what they requested. I didn't and it was the only complaint (Not worth complaining about) about the voyage.

Before and after my HAL voyage, a LOT of people on these threads were complaining they didn't get what they requested. I didn't...

See... it's dumb to call it 'As You Wish Dining' when people don't get what they wish for!

Thank you Ruth

Do you call prior to boarding or call each day on board?

HAL's arrangement sounds like Celebrity Select. We were able to request a table size and time frame (in 15 minute intervals) on line prior to boarding. First night we went at the requested time and found no tables for 4. We said we would sit at a larger table. We were seated at a table for 6 where we sat 20 minutes (no lie we timed it) without menus or an acknowledgement from anyone. We assume they were waiting to seat another couple if they wanted to share. That was that. Second night we went again at our assigned time and said we would wait for a table for 4. Waitied 15-20 minutes (had a pre dinner drink). Received a table for 4. Had a good experience. Requested that servers area again for the following nights. Yes we did wait 15-20 minutes each night but we always have a predinner drink so turned out to be no big deal.

Until reading this thread, I did not realize there was any confusion. It is just as Ruth C outlined, pretty simple to me. We always pick open seating, I think we have had to wait once for about 20 minutes. One thing that probably helps us is we do go fairly early, 6-6:30.

I do understand that some get waitlisted for fixed seating so maybe that is the basis for the confusion given the name "As you Wish" but it seems reasonable that they can only seat so many tables at each of the fixed seating times.

Kirk

Do you call prior to boarding or call each day on board?

If you choose open seating, and choose to make a reservation for dinner, that reservation is made on the ship.

There have been some reports of reservations taken for a number of days at a time, and other reports that reservations are taken for that day only. It's a movable feast.

You can call for the reservation, or reserve at a podium that will be set up somewhere in the vicinity of the Lido.

Reservations are restricted to the earlier and later hours of operation. The popular 6:00-7:30 (or so) times may not be reserved.

I disagree. If AYWD only referred to open seating, that would mean those with traditional/fixed seating were not dining as they wished. ;)

I agree with this. The concept HAL has is quite simple, AS YOU WISH DINING - you choose either fixed or open seating - I don't get what is difficult. Although, after seeing the review you read, I do understand your confusion. Having just got off the Oosterdam, I found the open seating dinner worked extremely well.

If you choose open seating, and choose to make a reservation for dinner, that reservation is made on the ship.

There have been some reports of reservations taken for a number of days at a time, and other reports that reservations are taken for that day only. It's a movable feast. .......

Reservations are restricted to the earlier and later hours of operation. The popular 6:00-7:30 (or so) times may not be reserved.

"A movable feast" is the working phrase! We are just off four weeks on the Rotterdam and I watched dinning room staff make reservation for the 6 to 7:30 times every day as we waited to be seated in the MDR for lunch. Each ship seems to have its on way of doing things........ but this is true across all the lines!

I agree with this. The concept HAL has is quite simple, AS YOU WISH DINING - you choose either fixed or open seating - I don't get what is difficult. Although, after seeing the review you read, I do understand your confusion. Having just got off the Oosterdam, I found the open seating dinner worked extremely well.

What is difficult is this: The term was introduced when HAL introduced open seating.

Before then, weren't we dining as we wished?

One could choose between fixed seating, the Lido, Pinnacle Grill and room service. Wasn't that AYWD? But HAL did not use the term.

Then along comes open seating, and HAL promotes its AYWD.

People just linked the two.

I don't let it bother me, but others on the board seem to stress over it!

:rolleyes:

Ruth - thank you again for the additional information.

Will not stress - will probably dine in pinnacle once if not twice and we'll try canalleto at least once maybe twice. The 7-730 slot is when a lot of people (like ourselves) like to dine so we'll go with the flow - its vacation after all! We were at a party last night and a group of people were all talking about their bermuda cruise on the Norwegian Gem in August - I just smiled to myself knowing we are booked on the Veendam in August and thought to myself no way would I sail on Norwegian - not for us...to each his own>

What is difficult is this: The term was introduced when HAL introduced open seating.

Before then, weren't we dining as we wished?

One could choose between fixed seating, the Lido, Pinnacle Grill and room service. Wasn't that AYWD? But HAL did not use the term.

Then along comes open seating, and HAL promotes its AYWD.

People just linked the two.

I don't let it bother me, but others on the board seem to stress over it!

:rolleyes:

Ok, maybe I just never think of it like that. As long as it works I guess that is all I care about what they call it doesn't seem to matter to me. Sorry for not getting it....lol

Personally I don't think anyone should stress over it and certainly it sounds like for most it all works out OK once on board - my original point was that many on the boards act like there's no reason for confusion - yet the "official" review I posted here points out that the confusion about weather Fixed Seating/dining is part of AYWD stems for some right from the "official" source itself. Was just hoping this being pointed out would maybe calm down those who kind of get a tad "huffy" when others are confused.

my original point was that many on the boards act like there's no reason for confusion - yet the "official" review I posted here points out that the confusion about weather Fixed Seating/dining is part of AYWD stems for some right from the "official" source itself. Was just hoping this being pointed out would maybe calm down those who kind of get a tad "huffy" when others are confused.

Was it a review by HAL? If not, what is official about it? It is just another poster giving a review with (slightly) incorrect facts. :)

Was it a review by HAL? If not, what is official about it? It is just another poster giving a review with (slightly) incorrect facts. :)

She's talking about this.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/reviews/review_page2.cfm?ShipID=306

It's the cruise critic review of the ship where they give it their rating and review, just like they do with every ship they have written and rated.

Whether they are official or not, they supposedly should know what they are talking about.

They describe it differently when they reviewed Noordam.

Hence, confusion by people. Enabled by confusion by the CC staff.

When I was talking about stress, I was talking about posters here who get all worked up over seeing the misuse of the term AYWD. :D

Most of us have our pet peeves here - topics, misspellings ["dinning room" or "stewarts"], etc.

How one deals with these peeves varies. I'm just saying don't stress - it's obvious there is confusion about the term AYWD, even with an *official* CC reviewer.

We used the AYW dining option on the Westerdam. We made reservations and were able to get the time we wanted each night. It was a bit of bother to do that as you couldn't do but so many days in advance. We seemed to end up at the same table with the same staff each time. We had wanted the early option but it was full. AYW allowed us to eat when we wanted to rather than being put in late which happened to us on the Veendam before AYW. Missed the shows...not a night owl...and was uncomfortable going to bed so soon after eating. AYW was a good option for us on that cruise. Got the early option on upcoming cruise, Yay!

Archived