Gifts for ship's staff in addition to cash

yazeee1

Have you tired to delete the $12.00? If so, please share with us how it went.

A few people we met on our most recent Gem cruise did not think the DSC was "worth the money" and said it was a simple matter of completing, and signing, a form at reception.

I usually tip extra, in cash....but for something fun I like to do oragami with the bills (do them at home prior to the cruise).

Here's a link to some of the designs I've tried...

http://www.origami-resource-center.com/money-origami.html

The crew love them, and you can make them with any denomiation of bill.

I just looked at your link! How awesome! If I was patient enough, maybe I can learn how to do this. My grandchildren too would love those as gifts. Thanks!

• Like 1

I just looked at your link! How awesome! If I was patient enough, maybe I can learn how to do this. My grandchildren too would love those as gifts. Thanks!

If you do a google search for easy oragami money many more will come up, some with videos that are really easy to follow. :)

• Like 1

Mayber those who want to give something extra could ask the crew member what they need or want and do not have the time to get it while in port. Once on a B2B I saw one of the buffet servers waiting for a cab so I asked her where she was going.......Walmart to buy LAUNDRY SOAP.

Last year on the Sun we met 2 guys who asked Karin, our concierge what her favorite perfume was. They found some in port. It wasn't cheap. They also tipped her in cash. Karin seemed genuinely thrilled.

• Like 1

On previous cruises, all of which were with DCL, the service was exceptional. We're not demanding people, but neither are we shy about asking for what we want, so we made sure to tip generously. We also brought with us small gifts of phone cards for our room steward and candy for the children's program staff. Candy and phone cards seemed to be the most popular items to bring. Is the same true on NCL? Do people give especially appreciated staff members gifts other than tipping generously? Are phone cards still a desirable offering?

I'd suggest giving them.......more cash:cool:

As a former Stateroom Steward for NCL, most of us liked getting little gifts, but cash, of course, was our favorite! It was so nifty some of the gifts we got from guest, and I still have most of them (little kimono girl chopsticks from Japan, keychains from Australia, etc). And yes, there is a service charge, but split that 1,000 ways, subtract taxes (at least those of us in Hawaii), and other things and you don't end up with much of the service charge.

As a former Stateroom Steward for NCL, most of us liked getting little gifts, but cash, of course, was our favorite! It was so nifty some of the gifts we got from guest, and I still have most of them (little kimono girl chopsticks from Japan, keychains from Australia, etc). And yes, there is a service charge, but split that 1,000 ways, subtract taxes (at least those of us in Hawaii), and other things and you don't end up with much of the service charge.

I am confused about your figures regarding the service charge split. Perhaps you can clear this up for me.

Travelocity shows the Pride Of America passenger capacity as 2,146 with a crew to passenger ratio of 1 to 2.7. That comes out to a little under 800 crew. What percentage of the crew participate in the tip pool or service charge pool?

Perhaps the sweetness in receiving a gift of any kind is that the giver wanted to share their gratitude and acknowledge you. Give. Receive. Enjoy and be thankful.

Ah... cruising is such a pleasure.

Well said.

Swedish-weave: I believe that was a generalization, not that there 1000 shares.... it was the equivalent to many'.

split 1000 ways = split many ways

I see it as an exaggeration. If 600 of the crew shares the pool, that makes a big difference in the amount that goes to each employee.

When you are dealing with over 24,000 dollars per day, it can be substantial.

Since some posters accept the numbers as gospel, it deserves to be questioned and corrected.

I see it as an exaggeration. If 600 of the crew shares the pool, that makes a big difference in the amount that goes to each employee.

When you are dealing with over 24,000 dollars per day, it can be substantial.

Since some posters accept the numbers as gospel, it deserves to be questioned and corrected.

Let's do the math.

If 800 share in the DSC of $24,000 per day: they receive $30 per day.

If they are working 16 hours a day, this amounts to $1.88per hour

If they are working 8 hours a day, this amounts to $3.75 per hour.

If 600 share in the DSC of $24,000 per day: they receive $40 per day.

If they are working 16 hours a day, this amounts to $2.50 per hour

If they are working 8 hours a day, this amounts to $5.00 per hour.

If 400 share in the DSC of $24,000 per day: they receive $60per day.

If they are working 16 hours a day, this amounts to $3.75 per hour

If they are working 8 hours a day, this amounts to $7.50 per hour.

No matter how you cut it, they don't get a huge amount from the DSC. I don't know how many hours they work, but I don't think it's an eight hour shift.

• Like 1

Let's do the math.

If 800 share in the DSC of $24,000 per day: they receive $30 per day.

If they are working 16 hours a day, this amounts to $1.88per hour

If they are working 8 hours a day, this amounts to $3.75 per hour.

If 600 share in the DSC of $24,000 per day: they receive $40 per day.

If they are working 16 hours a day, this amounts to $2.50 per hour

If they are working 8 hours a day, this amounts to $5.00 per hour.

If 400 share in the DSC of $24,000 per day: they receive $60per day.

If they are working 16 hours a day, this amounts to $3.75 per hour

If they are working 8 hours a day, this amounts to $7.50 per hour.

No matter how you cut it, they don't get a huge amount from the DSC. I don't know how many hours they work, but I don't think it's an eight hour shift.

The base wages are different for American registered ships as opposed to those registered in another country. I am more familiar with the foreign ships which are bound by international labor laws. Those crews work 10 hour shifts which can be split or they work 70 hours per week aggregate.

American registered ships are bound by American wage and hour laws, and I am not sure what their rules are.

I have compared the passenger to crew ratio on some ships, and where the POA is 2.7 to 1, the Star is 2.0 to 1. That is a pretty significant difference, and I am sure the base pay is what drives that ratio.

The base pay plus tips with room, board, and medical included can turn into a good salary.

That is why I asked the question.

Edited by swedish weave

The base wages are different for American registered ships as opposed to those registered in another country. I am more familiar with the foreign ships which are bound by international labor laws. Those crews work 10 hour shifts which can be split or they work 70 hours per week aggregate.

American registered ships are bound by American wage and hour laws, and I am not sure what their rules are.

I have compared the passenger to crew ratio on some ships, and where the POA is 2.7 to 1, the Star is 2.0 to 1. That is a pretty significant difference, and I am sure the base pay is what drives that ratio.

The base pay plus tips with room, board, and medical included can turn into a good salary.

That is why I asked the question.

Why, to make sure they don't inadvertently earn more than you think they are 'worth' ????

Edited by sjbdtz
  • Like 1

This thread has taken some different turns, but I was hoping some folks would continue to weigh in on the OP's question about gift possibilities for crew members, as we've made friends with a crew member and are planning to send a little care package to him at his next port. In this case, money would be a little tacky, so what else do crew members appreciate, with respect to the tiny quarters issue?

Someone mentioned edibles-- great idea, since I know our friend loves chocolate. Any other suggestions?

This thread has taken some different turns, but I was hoping some folks would continue to weigh in on the OP's question about gift possibilities for crew members, as we've made friends with a crew member and are planning to send a little care package to him at his next port. In this case, money would be a little tacky, so what else do crew members appreciate, with respect to the tiny quarters issue?

Someone mentioned edibles-- great idea, since I know our friend loves chocolate. Any other suggestions?

At the risk of being attacked by some, I will offer some suggestions. Small LED flashlights, color changing battery operated candles, spinner rings, lighted ball point pens, magnetic bracelets/necklaces, fluffy socks, flower or butterfly hair clips, headbands. Remember that most of the "kids" on the ship have mates and/or children at home, and they can take items such as these home without much trouble, and they are also very easily stored in small spaces. Some can be used by them while doing their jobs on the ship. These are just a few, but you can use these ideas to generate a few of your own. Hope this is what you are looking for, and I expect some to come back and say "ONLY MONEY" which I also feel is tacky.

• Like 1

What the heck? I know I posted a big thank this afternoon to everyone who shared their ideas and experiences, and now that post, as well as a few others are gone. If this post does actually show up on the thread, I repeat, thank you for your help. I was especially touched by the idea of picking up a thing or two from the store for a crew member who would otherwise have to do it with the little in-port time crew member receive. Acts of service is my primary "love language".

I wish I could help with the ideas for a care package. I don't know one of these is too big to consider, but what about including an attactive (or cute, or unique) writing journal?

• 5 years later...

We always tip more than the normal, and take postcards and sometimes small pins from home. Postcards can be sent to the crew members home to share with the family, thrown away, or recycled to someone else who takes a liking to the picture. Doesn't cost me much, but shows people who have never traveled inland from the coasts a bit of the US.

Either way, once they get it, it's theirs. If they pitch it, no worries.

I do like the idea of finding things cast and crew can really USE (like the laundry soap) to show appreciation. It doesn't take much chatting to find out things like that if the person is a talker.

I think that if you hardly see the member of the crew who looks after your cabin/stateroom/suite and yet exceeds expectations an extra cash reward would seem appropriate. However, if you do happen to get to know the person who looks after you, why not reward with something more appropriate to that individual? It may only be a chance conversation topic that plants a seed, but maybe you will think of something a bit more 'special' than plain cash. But if you cannot think of something, of course 'cash is king'. With NCL you are supposed to automatically be paying the crew a gratuity anyway, but certainly any effort you consider above and beyond is worthy of a little extra token of appreciation. Just try to think it through: put yourself in the position of your crew member - what would you really appreciate as an extra 'thank you'?

As I said, we always tip over, so the cash is already there.

Almost 50 years later, I still have a small hanky my Dad brought home from Vietnam that a girl made and gave him.

To this day, I still imagine that exchange and wonder about the little girl. Not saying that a postcard or pin compares at all, but you never know what other people's situations are, and what they might appreciate.

We went on the inaugural Panama Canal cruise on Disney years ago. When we got off the ship in Matzatlan, there were a few ladies gathered asking for something that said "Disney". Whether they wanted them for gifts for their family, or to sell, I don't know. They had never seen the Disney ship before that and wanted ANYTHING!

Just saying. And it's hard to do something personal when you don't meet the person before you get on the ship. Again, postcards are small and inexpensive, but the design could nurture imagination.

Edited by WyoDisney

hoooboy!! You resurrected a 6 year old thread!! I thought I smelled something a bit musty and mouldy!!

No kidding!! Shouldn't I get a gift or something?!?!? I actually googled the subject to see if things had changed in the 10 years since we've cruised...

(Answer) a little bit, but still people who find fault with everything someone says...

Welcome to the Internet...:(

As I said, we always tip over, so the cash is already there.

Almost 50 years later, I still have a small hanky my Dad brought home from Vietnam that a girl made and gave him.

To this day, I still imagine that exchange and wonder about the little girl. Not saying that a postcard or pin compares at all, but you never know what other people's situations are, and what they might appreciate.

We went on the inaugural Panama Canal cruise on Disney years ago. When we got off the ship in Matzatlan, there were a few ladies gathered asking for something that said "Disney". Whether they wanted them for gifts for their family, or to sell, I don't know. They had never seen the Disney ship before that and wanted ANYTHING!

Just saying. And it's hard to do something personal when you don't meet the person before you get on the ship. Again, postcards are small and inexpensive, but the design could nurture imagination.

No one is going to appreciate a postcard from Podunk, Iowa. It's a nice thought but hardly realistic. They have this cool thing now called the internet. ;)

No one is going to appreciate a postcard from Podunk, Iowa. It's a nice thought but hardly realistic. They have this cool thing now called the internet. ;)

Well, then I'm really glad I'm not from Podunk.

Edited by WyoDisney

I don't believe in small gifts because they seem cheap to me

I like to give them big gifts

A large red stocking filled with chocolates key chains magnets baseball caps and such at Christmas

Ditto for big easter baskets

I bring for room steward...mdr waiter as we request the same one each night plus one for guest services to share and of course one for our favorite bartender.