Finding Internet Service in Ports

Cat_Lover3

We will be on the Island in December for a full transit of the Panama Canal. We were trying to avoid buying Internet time on the ship. I read somewhere on the boards about specific places in some of ports where you can get free Wi Fi. We will be stopping in Cabo San Lucas, Acapulco, Costa Rica, Fuerte Amasor Panama, Cartagena, Columbia and Arbua. Also do they have computers you can use or would I need to take my laptop. I have also seen that internet service on the Island has been problematic with long times of no service. Figure if I can use service in a couple of the ports it would be worth it. Thanks in advance for any information you can give me.

Best advice: do internet search for "internet cafe near port" in your various ports of call. I have done this for other cruises and found several options; they usually provide the computers.

You may want to bring your laptop if you like to write a lot of emails or CC postings offline, and then just send them fast when you're online (whether onboard or in an internet cafe).

Sorry, no info re: internet service on the Island. Enjoy your cruise! Full transit cruise is high on my list of things to do; I'm jealous!!!

We will be on the Island in December for a full transit of the Panama Canal. We were trying to avoid buying Internet time on the ship. I read somewhere on the boards about specific places in some of ports where you can get free Wi Fi. We will be stopping in Cabo San Lucas, Acapulco, Costa Rica, Fuerte Amasor Panama, Cartagena, Columbia and Arbua. Also do they have computers you can use or would I need to take my laptop. I have also seen that internet service on the Island has been problematic with long times of no service. Figure if I can use service in a couple of the ports it would be worth it. Thanks in advance for any information you can give me.

First of all, we are sure that you will have a great time on the Island Princess! We went the opposite direction and got home last week - it was our best cruise ever!!! We still haven't sorted all of our photos or done a review, but here is a recap of our first week on the Island Princess.

Regarding internet access, the general advice is to check the "Staying in Touch" section of the relevant port overview (although we found that some were out of date or may not be open at specific hours).

We had debated about taking our netbook, but now are very happy that we did. We have Windows Live Mail (somewhat similar to Outlook Express and works with gmail, hotmail, etc.) which allowed us to compose messages offline (e.g., on the ship) and then quickly send them and download new messages at internet cafes. We also used the netbook for backing up our photos and other things.

Regarding internet access in some of your specific ports:

- Free WiFi and supplied desktops at the Theory Cafe (and apparently many other places).

Puntarenas. Costa Rica -
. Fast, Cheap WiFi, and computers available. Close to pier. Look for hand painted refrigerator magnets by Andrea (a vendor by the beach).

Aruba - Cafe Digital is very near cruise ship pier (see
). Also there are computers and WiFi in the terminal.

Have fun!

Acapulco - upstairs to the left (metal stairs) as you enter the pier shopping area.

Cartagena - ask at the shops as you enter the pier shopping area. It's right through the shops, but you need to pay (at least last year) at one of the shops and take the receipt to the place with the internet.

Best advice: do internet search for "internet cafe near port" in your various ports of call. I have done this for other cruises and found several options; they usually provide the computers.

You may want to bring your laptop if you like to write a lot of emails or CC postings offline, and then just send them fast when you're online (whether onboard or in an internet cafe).

Sorry, no info re: internet service on the Island. Enjoy your cruise! Full transit cruise is high on my list of things to do; I'm jealous!!!

An internet search is actually the SECOND-Best advice.

Best advice is to ask your cabin steward or waiter on the ship.

All the crew - every week - do exactly what you are planning to do.

Most of them have been to these ports dozens of times and know every internat cafe and WIFI source there is.

Archived