Suite Advice

hoosier_done_it

We got the upgrade call this morning and, of course, jumped at it :D.

Penthouse on the Sun!

But now I need some advice. What is appropriate tipping for the butler and concierge?

OMG, I still can't believe that I actually get to ask that question. This is soooo sweet (pun intended)! Nineteen days and counting.

I've read quite a few threads about what to tip, and I'm still confused!

I just decided that I'd try to make it easy on myself and do this: Since we pay $12pp per day for the service charge, I figured that separately we'd put aside another $12pp per day for the butler and concierge and then possibly adjust the amount after seeing how much we use their services.

We also decided to put aside an extra $10pp per day for our room steward mainly because the original $12pp per day is stretched between many people and we feel that the room stewards deserve a little more.

I have no idea if this is too little an amount, but this is our plan.

Have a good time and congrats on the suite.

I just decided that I'd try to make it easy on myself and do this: Since we pay $12pp per day for the service charge, I figured that separately we'd put aside another $12pp per day for the butler and concierge and then possibly adjust the amount after seeing how much we use their services.

We also decided to put aside an extra $10pp per day for our room steward mainly because the original $12pp per day is stretched between many people and we feel that the room stewards deserve a little more.

So your plan (assuming 2 people) is to tip $84/day or $588 for 7 days? I thought I was a reasonably good tipper, but this seems a bit high.

Run a search on "butler + concierge + tipping". You will find plenty of opinions on this subject.

Be prepared to be just as confused as you are now. Seems like everybody has their own idea as to what is proper tipping for butler and concierge.

I generally tip the butler about $15 / day for the 2 of us. We rarely eat in our room because I am fussy about my food being piping hot. Some people eat 1 or more meals a day in their room and they likely adjust their tips accordingly.

I use the concierge even less and generally tip about $10 / day.

All in all, I think you are on the right track. Don't fret it. Go and have a terrific time in your penthouse. We will be doing the same but not until February.

So your plan (assuming 2 people) is to tip $84/day or $588 for 7 days? I thought I was a reasonably good tipper, but this seems a bit high.

LOL, see why I'm confused? Every thread I've ever read about tipping is all over the place.

I've read where some refuse to tip and even go as far as removing the service charge, and then it goes to others who tip hundreds of dollars extra. Some say they never used the butler or concierge and others say they use them all the time.

I just figured that it's much easier to put aside a separate service charge to hand out in cash and try to have something extra to give the room stewards.

Is it too much? I really have no idea. This is what we plan to have in cash and will decide how it will be distributed when we're there.

We got the upgrade call this morning and, of course, jumped at it :D.

Penthouse on the Sun!

But now I need some advice. What is appropriate tipping for the butler and concierge?

OMG, I still can't believe that I actually get to ask that question. This is soooo sweet (pun intended)! Nineteen days and counting.

Can you tell me what type of cabin you upgraded from?

We had an odd situation on Epic for a back to back, ending last Saturday. There were two Concierges, Maria and Florentina. Maria was leaving the ship after the first week, Florentina was continuing solo for our second week. Florentina had handled most of our servicing even when Maria was there. We gave Maria $50 the night before she left the ship. We gave Florentina $150 after the two weeks, and honestly other than restaurant reservations we didn't call upon her services often.

There was also a Butler change after the first week. We gave $100 to the first and then $150 to the second because he was considerable more involved with our entry into restaurants and theater shows.

We gave our stateroom attendant $80 for the two weeks, and his assistant $40.

Epic Club was handled per meal at $3 for breakfast $5 for lunch and $10 for dinner, (whether EC or specialty.) There was only one night we did not leave an extra tip in one of the specialty restaurants.

Hope I wasn't being too candid.

This is a common question as that tells others what cabin types NCL is wanting and offering upgrades from.

Fair enough.

We had a discounted BE balcony instantly upgraded to a BA that we booked through an NCL agent. We became aware of the BE to BA and special price by an email from NCL. We originally booked early this year ( I don't have the exact dates with me here). Also, I don't know if this influenced NCL or not, but we have friends (one couple) that signed up to join us (also BE to BA) on the cruise. We were both offered (and took) the penthouse upgrade.

This is a common question as that tells others what cabin types NCL is wanting and offering upgrades from.

Right. People just like to know if they might have a chance too. It's nice to know if you were already in a suite (AE or AD, etc) or a mini suite or a balcony.

I'm guessing since the OP had a BA, the BA's are in demand.

I'm surprised no one asked you how much you paid for the upsell. (I'm NOT asking)

That answer also lets others know if a possible upsell would be out of their budget right off the bat.

When we've stayed in the suites here's what I do because we use the bulter service extensively for meals in our stateroom:

1. I opt us out of the standard gratuity. You can do this at the customer service desk. I mention that we are in a suite and are tipping the staff that are serving us directly.

2. I keep a mental tally of the number of times we use the concierge and tip them about $5 per interaction at the end of the cruise.

3. I tip meals similarly to what Us2inFL mentioned on those occasions where we dine outside the room.

4. For the butler and steward I'll take about $20 per day and split it about 75/25 or 70/30 depending on the amount of service.

When we've stayed in the suites here's what I do because we use the bulter service extensively for meals in our stateroom:

1. I opt us out of the standard gratuity. You can do this at the customer service desk. I mention that we are in a suite and are tipping the staff that are serving us directly.

I don't know this for absolute proof but I have read on here that if you opt out of the DSC that if you tip the room steward he will have to turn that in to the pool. But I guess anything over the $12 a day he can keep, but that wouldn't be a lot. I will try and remember to ask our steward this on our upcoming cruise. You obviously are free to do what you want but just something to consider.

Right. People just like to know if they might have a chance too. It's nice to know if you were already in a suite (AE or AD, etc) or a mini suite or a balcony.

I'm guessing since the OP had a BA, the BA's are in demand.

I'm surprised no one asked you how much you paid for the upsell. (I'm NOT asking)

That answer also lets others know if a possible upsell would be out of their budget right off the bat.

I actually do no know what we paid. DW handles all of the finances and I am eternally grateful that she does. If I handled the money we couldn't cruise and would live in a refrigerator box, but I would have great toys.

That said, I think it was less than $200 per person.

I don't know this for absolute proof but I have read on here that if you opt out of the DSC that if you tip the room steward he will have to turn that in to the pool. But I guess anything over the $12 a day he can keep, but that wouldn't be a lot. I will try and remember to ask our steward this on our upcoming cruise. You obviously are free to do what you want but just something to consider.

This is exactly what happens. A list is generated with the names/cabins that have opted out of the service charge.

Any cash you give to your steward is turned in and distributed to all those that would have been included in the original service charge.

If you keep the service charge in place, any cash you give your steward is all theirs.

I will never understand why people continue to opt out of a minimal service charge and punish those workers that you never come in contact with, but have performed duties that made your cruise more enjoyable.

OP, please keep your normal service charge of 12pp in place and tip your butler and concierge in cash (they are not part of the 12pp). Tip whatever your comfortable with and keep some extra cash available in case you wish to give your room stewards (this is not mandatory) a little extra.

2. I keep a mental tally of the number of times we use the concierge and tip them about $5 per interaction at the end of the cruise.

3. I tip meals similarly to what Us2inFL mentioned on those occasions where we dine outside the room.

4. For the butler and steward I'll take about $20 per day and split it about 75/25 or 70/30 depending on the amount of service.

Does that mean you only tip the people you interact with face-to-face and there is nothing for the people who wash linens and dishes or bus tables, or work at the front desk, or take care of delivering and picking up your luggage from the dock, or for those who constantly work at keeping the boat sparkling and in good working order or the many other things that are covered with the DSC?

I actually do no know what we paid. DW handles all of the finances and I am eternally grateful that she does. If I handled the money we couldn't cruise and would live in a refrigerator box, but I would have great toys.

Awesome! Which PH are you in? I was in AC 9076 aft and LOVED IT! Was not an upsell.

Congrats! You will love Il Adagion for Breakfast and Lunch and Dinner if you choose to try it then too.

Thank you for the reply that is why I was asking and thanks again for your reply.

Don't mean to play "pile on" but that is why I would not think about opting out of the daily service charge.

Butler and Concierge (and from my post, different ones each week) are outside the scope of the daily service charge, they make their money on passenger's gratuities.

Does that mean you only tip the people you interact with face-to-face and there is nothing for the people who wash linens and dishes or bus tables, or work at the front desk, or take care of delivering and picking up your luggage from the dock, or for those who constantly work at keeping the boat sparkling and in good working order or the many other things that are covered with the DSC?

The system stinks, but unfortunately the cruise lines have been able to get away with stiffing their staff and making pax pay their staff's salaries! What a long, long list of people who don't get paid a fair salary and are depending on pax to pay them! In what other industry can an employer underpay the majority of their employees and get away with it?

Of the jobs listed above, the only ones that traditionally depend on tipping are perhaps luggage handling and to a much lesser extent, front desk & housekeepers. If you go to a restaurant you tip 15-20% of the check and that usually goes to the wait staff. They may, or may not, tip the busboys. The people who wash linens, janitorial staff, hotel front desk staff & housekeepers are all paid a minimal but living wage by the hotel.

No, I'm not advocating blowing off the DSC, I am just pointing out how outrageous it is that cruiselines in general, not just NCL, expect pax to pay staff salaries in addition to paying cruise fare. Just my pet peeve! And spare me the bit about having to pay extra taxes on their salaries, or the cruiseline having to tack on overheard so the $12 DSC becomes $18, etc, etc. It's unfair to the staff to put them in the position of not being paid because pax don't "get it", and it's just plain wrong for an employer not to pay employees and expect customers to do it instead.

You truly do have to consider how much you use the services. We did not do in suite dining except for one breakfast, and did not ask for a lot of extra reservations or assistance--so we were pretty low maintenance. However, there were many nice things that both the butler and the concierge did for us that truly made the cruise wonderful. We tipped the butler around $200 and the concierge $150. We also provided $40 additional to the room stewards who did a wonderful job. If I had had more in suite dining I certainly would have tipped more. We would not dream of taking the auto tip off our account--that is for the numerous folks who work to make the ship run well. Your tip sounds very generous to me--but then again, maybe you are planning to eat many meals in your room and take advantage of a lot of services. In that case--it is not excessive.

The system stinks, but unfortunately the cruise lines have been able to get away with stiffing their staff and making pax pay their staff's salaries! What a long, long list of people who don't get paid a fair salary and are depending on pax to pay them! In what other industry can an employer underpay the majority of their employees and get away with it?

Of the jobs listed above, the only ones that traditionally depend on tipping are perhaps luggage handling and to a much lesser extent, front desk & housekeepers. If you go to a restaurant you tip 15-20% of the check and that usually goes to the wait staff. They may, or may not, tip the busboys. The people who wash linens, janitorial staff, hotel front desk staff & housekeepers are all paid a minimal but living wage by the hotel.

No, I'm not advocating blowing off the DSC, I am just pointing out how outrageous it is that cruiselines in general, not just NCL, expect pax to pay staff salaries in addition to paying cruise fare. Just my pet peeve! And spare me the bit about having to pay extra taxes on their salaries, or the cruiseline having to tack on overheard so the $12 DSC becomes $18, etc, etc. It's unfair to the staff to put them in the position of not being paid because pax don't "get it", and it's just plain wrong for an employer not to pay employees and expect customers to do it instead.

Agreed! Sad but true and not going to change in the near future...:(

Much like the original poster, I find determining who is in the DSC pool and who is out quite confusing.

Relating specifically to Epic, let me give it a try...

Concierge = out (tip separately; amount varies wildly)

Room Butler = out (see, concierge)

Courtyard Butler = in???

Everyone else = in

My particular confusion concerns:

(a) courtyard butler (not 100% sure there is such a person); and

(b) wait staff in Epic Club.

Other posts seem to suggest that Epic Club wait staff are part of DSC. I would REALLY appreciate this answer, since I anticipate eating there daily.

I believe most of us understand and value the services provided by ALL crew and accept the DSC. However, I do not feel compelled to prove that I am a Big Shot by tipping extravagantly. Neither do I like paying multiple layers of charges for the same services. For example: if a restaurant adds a "house charge" to my bill, I do not feel obligated to pile an additional tip on top. In fact, I quite resent being played for a chump.

Thanks for your help.

Let me add to the confusion. We are a family of 6 staying in an A3 next month. My service charge alone 12*7*6 is already 504 dollars. Now I'm in a quandry as to how to properly tip Butler+Concierge+Steward. The confusing part for me is, the kids are young 12,9,6&4 so I just don't know how much of their services we will be using and how much per day pp? We don't typically call on these guys very much. I remember on our DCL cruise, the concierge was so surprised that we weren't calling them that they came to the room to visit to see if there was anything that could be done for us.

As we've gotten more used to suite cruising we are using their services a little more often. I guess I'll have to see how often we use them and try to be fair.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

This amount is very generous and I'm sure very appreciated!

We have been in suites a number of times and I can't say we've tipped this much. For a 7-day cruise, we have normally tipped the room steward $50 depending on the service (which has always been good). If we only use the Concierge once or twice (we book our dinners all at once) and that's it, then we give $75 usually. Once we only gave $50 because the Concierge was really bad and never followed through on anything. Once we gave $125 because he was exceptional. Our butler is $100-$150 as we use his/her services every day for one thing or another. We figure on $300-$350 in tips for a week.

Archived