Tsunami and Volcano in Indonesia...and the Amsterdam

Kween Karen

SO now that we have found out the Amsterdam was not touched much by the typhoon.....I am wondering about the tsunami and the volcano that the news reported today in Indonesia. That should be pretty much where the ship is or will be soon.

Hopefully someone will have reports on these events.

What caused a tsunami?

The country's most volatile volcano, Mount Merapi, 800 miles (1,300 kilometers) to the east, started to erupt at dusk Tuesday as scientists warned that pressure building beneath its lava dome could trigger one of the most powerful blasts in years.

The 7.7-magnitude quake that struck late Monday just 13 miles (20 kilometers) beneath the ocean floor was followed by at least 14 aftershocks, the largest measuring 6.2, according to the U.S. Geological Survey.

More info here: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101026/ap_on_re_as/as_indonesia_earthquake

Joanie

SO now ....I am wondering about the tsunami and the volcano that the news reported today in Indonesia.

Typically a tsunami travels across open ocean virtually undetected. It is when it encounters land that it causes damage.

From wikipedia:

"Tsunamis have a small amplitude (wave height) offshore, and a very long wavelength (often hundreds of kilometers long), which is why they generally pass unnoticed at sea, forming only a slight swell usually about 300 millimetres (12 inches) above the normal sea surface. They grow in height when they reach shallower water, in a wave shoaling process."

Any possible volcanic eruption is a completely different danger!:eek:

I, too, have been thinking about the wonderful Indonesian crew members who have family and friends in the area. It is so hard for them.

Last fall, when I was on the Amsterdam, there was also a tsunami in Indonesia. The Amsterdam crew and staff put on a special show to get donations to send back home. The passengers and HAL were quite generaous and it was a wonderful thing. HAL's support for the crew members was very wonderful to see.

I have been thinking about and praying for the families of all the wonderful Indonesian servers on the ships. This must surely be a difficult time for them to be so far away from home.

I was just about to post a similar thought. When I saw this the first thing I thought was that I hoped the loved ones of all the HAL crew were safe.

Archived