Liberty Review - 10/17 - A veteran cruises with a ROOKIE!

cynt

Good morning fellow cruise addicts. This review is my attempt on paying it forward. The months and weeks leading to my cruise I was ecstatic when I found a new review on line from a recent cruiser. It was just what I needed to get me through another week of waiting. I'm mainly going to focus on what I noticed about my BF as he was a rookie cruiser and the things he enjoyed, liked, endured and didn't care for to much. Hang on and enjoy the ride.

Cast

ME - 40 and I love to cruise and go to Disney World. I am a Woman's college basketball junkie. I'm a huge kid at heart and having fun is a way of life for me. I work hard, Accountant by day and play even harder. I'm the friend, sister, daughter and aunt who everyone calls to get the hard cold truth without any candy coating. I love life and enjoy being around those who I love and love me back. If I didn't need to work I would do inner city mission trips to help young people stay and get on the right track.

BF - 41 - 1st time cruiser. He's a great guy and a great boyfriend. He has always wanted to cruise and when he found out I loved to cruise it wasn't long before we were booking our 1st cruise together. He's a father of 2 and he absolutely adores his kids ages 20 and 16. He was in for the time of his life and didn't even know it.

Background

We started dating October 2009. I wasn't looking for anything serious and neither was he. We were casual friends no strings attached. And then out of the blue one day he tells me he loves me. WHAT THE WORLD!!?!? We're supposed to be friends. Well I was honest with him and told him I didn't have feelings for him like that. Well a few months later cupid got me as well. LOL!! So how did the cruise come about I guess you're wondering? 2010 I turned 40 and my goal was to travel this year. I mentioned cruising to him when we first met and he said that he had never been. Well my travel calendar was filling up - March - San Antonio for the WCBB Final Four, June - Hawaii to bring in the Big 40 in w/ a bang and Sept - San Francisco. I had mentioned a cruise to several of my friends and no one could swing it. So in talking to him at the first of the year he said he would be interested. I didn't take him serious. I was tracking cruise fare and around February/March the price dropped I knew if I didn't jump on it the price would go up...$649/balcony, and then $699/balcony. I called him to ask him if he was serious about cruising if so I need $250 to get this great rate. He was in! The rest is history.

Stay tuned for - Preparing a rookie for their 1st cruise.

First course of action - make sure BF gets a passport.

Me - Babe go ahead and get your passport now that we have reserved the cruise.

BF - I need a passport?

Me - Well, long story short you don't "need" one for the cruise per se but get one anyway. It will be worth it in the long haul.

BF a little confused but I think I convinced him to get it. I didn't have time nor did I want to go into why he should have one, a raised birth certificate will do, yada, yada, yada. It worked a couple of months later he had his passport.

BF wasn't excited about the cruise until after we made final payment. Then it became real to him. He started asking questions and I ate it up every time he would ask something. We all know we, CC addicts have a wealth of information but it can be OVERWHELMING to a rookie. So I told myself besides casual cruise conversation do not I repeat do not slam him with cruise information. So one day he asks what time should we get on the ship 3/4PM? I almost blew a gasket. No we will be at the ship at 11AM. We have to be the 1st people on so we can begin enjoying our cruise and take in the ship and of course have time to take that much needed nap before muster drill so we can party like rock stars the 1st night. He didn't get it but he did know we would be at the port by 11AM. He then started asking questions about what to pack. I told him as summer items begin to go on clearance go ahead and start purchasing a few things.

Work calls I'll type more later.

Um, I think your boss would understand if you completed your review today!

I'm loving it and need more, like, now!

Going on Liberty in January and am just so freakin' excited!

You know what us CC'ers like more than reviews??? Reviews with pictures! :Just saying: :D

OK, let’s see where was I…O, packing. So I tell BF start purchasing things for the cruise as you see them and as they go on sale. We live in TX and its summer 9 of the 12 months. You can always find warm weather clothing on sale. So I’m thinking he’s following instructions and doing as I say. Well low and behold he wasn’t. I went to San Francisco in September and while I was away he goes on his 1st shopping trip. What does he purchase a clear bag like a zip lock bag from Wal-Mart to pack his travel size toiletries, his toiletries, two pair of swim trunks, a couple t-shirts? HUH!!?!?! Yep that’s what he purchased. LOL!! O, sidebar – I find out very quickly in our relationship that he isn’t a clothes person. We’re in trouble because I’m not either. Yes we both walk around the house in the nude, live in t-shirts & shorts, shoes what are they, where are my flip flops and what’s a bra and undergarments. Yes, we’re straight country and believe all parts of your skin need to breathe. LOL! I know TMI but I want you to see the full picture. So I get back from SFO and he’s so excited about the things he purchased and his first shopping trip. We’ve discussed him purchasing a new suit for months so that’s the 1st thing I inquire about. Ok so he didn’t purchase a suit well what about a new shirt and tie. Nope, just the shorts. OK. Let’s talk about what you need for the cruise. I tell him don’t worry about a tux a suit w/ a different shirt and tie for each formal night is cool. You will need docker/slacks and polo shirts/button down shirts for the other 5 nights. I tell him we have 3 sea days and you will we need swim trunks and tanks/t-shirts for these days – your normal hanging around the house/pool clothes the more casual the better. Last but not least we have one beach day, Labadees so the same as above. The two “real” port days for tours and what not pack cargo shorts and t-shirts for these two days. Sounds simple right? Not for him. Mind you this is Mr. T-shirt man. I can’t pay him to wear a polo shirt. When we finally get on the ship and unpack do you want to know what he packed. POLO SHIRTS!!? A ton of polo shirts. Babe where are your tshirts/tanks. He must have a thousand of them at home. Baby I didn’t know what to pack. What!?!?!? Calm down Cynt he will just have to wear his polos up on deck. I’ll share more on this later. If we all recall our 1st cruise we were clueless on what to pack. So I chalked this up to a rookie mistake. I let it roll off my back but guess who was purchasing tshirts on the cruise? Yep my BF. He ran out of tshirts after day 2. LOL!

My BF had never been on a long vacation 7 days or more. Long weekends were about it. So he didn’t know how to prepare for this mentally and financially. All the little stuff you need for the cruise and need to get done before the cruise got to him. All along I told him to pace himself. Go ahead and get a new camera now. He lost his at Taste of Dallas. Start putting money up for taxi, hotel, transfers, airport parking etc. Clean up your house before the week of the cruise. You know all the little things that can be done before the actual week of the cruise go ahead and knock it out. You’re going to need money for souvies, incidentals and spending money so add that to your money list. Well a hard head makes a what? A soft behind. The week of the cruise he begins to stress. He takes off Friday because he has so much to do. He starts calling me first thing Friday morning stressing. I finally tell him go and have a Dos Equis so you can calm down. You’re stressing and I’m not having it. We leave tomorrow for Miami and I need you cool and calm. I work a full day and have a headache all day because I got my hair braided the night before. I can’t take him stressing on me. I leave work, go and get my pedi and mani, make my Wal-Mart run and finish packing. He’s a little better but still stressing but he thanks me for making sure he got his mani and pedi. He said he crossed it off his list but when I reminded him about it earlier in the day he had to add it to his day which made him stress even more. I must admit his toes and hands were looking mighty nice if I say so myself. LOL! So we call and chat all night long on and off. The day has finally arrived. We’re flying to Miami tomorrow and my babe and I are going on a cruise. HOT DOG!!!

I'll catch up on all the responses tonight. Thanks for reading.

Yes, I'm still at work but this story is pouring out of me. So I've got to keep typing while it's in me. No, I'm not getting much work accomplished but I'll get to it eventually. LOL!!

I wake up with a slight headache. Why did I get my hair braided? I thought it would be more convenient than dealing with it all week. AAARRGGHH!?!??! It hurts. Where is my Advil? And make sure you pack a bottle for the trip. BF and I decided earlier in the week to each pack a carry on and a shoulder bag and we’ll check one large suitcase. I successfully filled one side of the large suitcase and my carry on and I’m good to go. But ummm, who is going to put this large suitcase in my trunk. Good question. LOL!! I drag it out to the garage and use all my strength to slide it into the trunk. Mission accomplished. Thank goodness for those muscle blast and Pilate classes I’ve been taking the last two months. I’m a lot stronger than I was two months ago and I can tell.

We need to be at the airport by 12 noon. What do I need to do before I head to BF’s house? He calls and he has a couple of errands to run and says he will be home by 11AM. OK. Get a move on Cynt. I sweep the house and make sure I have everything. OK I think I’m set. I need to go to Marshall’s to see if I can find another pair of heels. I check all the doors, turn off AC and hit the road. I get to Marshall’s 10 minutes before they open and the lady is kind enough to let me us early shoppers in the door. Thanks Ms. Marshall’s lady. I peruse the aisles and find a pair of boots really cute boots. Cynt you are not in here looking for boots. But it’s a great deal. I don’t care. Put them back. But I want them. NO! Yes! Into the cart they go. Hmmm that’s a cute shirt, into the cart it goes. Wow! What a deal on these black leggings and it’s the thick material I could probably get away with wearing them at work. Yeah probably so. Into to cart they go. Umm excuse me Cynt. You came in here to get a pair of heels not shop for clothes. I know but it’s such a good deal. DISCIPLINE! OK. I put everything back and head to the car. I get in the car I’m making good time but shucks! I forgot my cell charger. I live 10 minutes from shopping center and I need my cell charger. Back to the house I go. OK car charger? Check. I’m now on my way across town to BF’s house. I make it safely to his exit. Hmm a Steinmart let’s see if I can find some shoes. He hasn’t called and I’m still making good time. Go directly to the shoes department and do not stop. Tons and tons of shoes but I can’t find any that I like.

Cell rings. Hey I’m home. OK I’m down the street. I’ll be there shortly.

O the clearance rack. JACKPOT! Thank you very much. O that’s a nice watch as I pass the jewelry department. My watch. Where’s my watch? $12.99 that’s a good deal. SOLD! I pay for my items and get in the car. I’m opening the watch and realize the watches band is broke – a no go. I call BF to see if he has a watch that he can bring. He doesn’t. I decide to run into Walmart which is next door to his place. I forgot to get a scandisc for my sister’s camera that I’m borrowing because I purchased a Sony for my June trip to Hawaii and the pics leave a lot to be desired.

I finally make it to BFs house and he’s sitting on the steps outside and appears a little agitated. Hi babe. Hey. I try and start a conversation and I’m getting one syllable dry answers. Babe what’s wrong. I’ve been waiting on you since you said you were down the street. I apologize, explain what was going on and rub his sweet spot. I look apologetic and plant a nice kiss on him. He’s good. LOL!! We pack up his stuff and hit the road. Due to my Walmart run we are a little behind schedule. We’re not sure how far in advance we need to check our luggage. Do we drop off our luggage at curbside first and then park and park and drag our luggage? If all else fails we can park in the expensive parking because our large luggage must be checked in. We high tail it to the curb check in. We get there at curbside about an hour before take off. Luggage weights 51.3 lbs. The guy says you’re a little over but you’re good. We take the car back to remote parking. We park and catch the shuttle to the terminal. I’m super excited because we’re at the new Terminal D. It’s wonderfully fantastic. We grab BBQ sandwiches, paperback books, Starbursts and magazines. They call our group and we board. We’re on one of the Boeing 767 or 777 (I think). You know the large planes w/ three columns and 3 seats/5seats/3 seats in each row, TVs in the headrests, several games, shows and movies to select. GREAT!!! We are on vacation!!!

Uh, oh. It’s getting hot. Why aren’t we moving? Yes I did notice we changed gates. O, we have a new plane. O, the guys have to move our luggage from plane one to plane two. No problem. Where’s that BBQ sandwich I’m starving? What’s on TV? Grown ups! Game on. I eat my BBQ sausage sandwich and watch Grown Ups as we wait for them to board the luggage. Ok 45 minutes later we are air born. The pilot comes on and says he thinks he can make up some of the time. Miami here we come. Finally – we are officially on VACATION!!!!

my wife and i have been on 17 cruises and i could be ready to go in 5 minutes if everything were clean...most people pack way tooooo much clothes...11am...wrong try 10:45...then i know your the one behind me...this story is so so true of most of the newbies...just sit back and convince yourself that your right and the rest doesn't matter and if he really loves you why would you streer him wrong...i think the boy friend is addicted by the point that he should jsut say YES DEAR...I LOVE YOU...WHEN IS OUR NEXT CRUISE...i hope the wedding plans go just as easy...

Good morning. I couldn't post last night. I had to visit my mom in the hospital. She had back surgery and she's tripping out because her progress is not going as fast as the doctor would like and they want to put her in the nursing home until she can walk and do a few other things on her own. I'm the oldest daughter and she called me whining about it. I had to go up there after work and tell her mom, you've got to get out of bed and move. She said she's trying but she's in a lot of pain. I believe her but I think she's not giving it 100%. No slacking. Get up and get to moving mother.

Ok back to my story.

The flight was uneventful but I must admit I love these large planes. Mental note to self always check to see if there’s a 777/767 available for your flights. We arrive in sunny Miami. BFs BFF from back home who now resides in Miami picks us up from the airport. I always tell him that he’s his BF because they talk and text more than we do. LOL! They are both huge sports fans so during any game they are blowing up their cell phones or texting until their fingers are numb. We dropped off our luggage at his place and hit the Miami Beach scene. Boy was we in for a treat. BF forgot to mention that his BFF was a bartender and he knows all the bartenders along Miami Beach. So we eat first thank goodness because later we will need the food in our tummies to absorb the alcohol. So you know when your friends come in town from your home town you feel obligate to show them a good time and then some. Well BFs BFF left no rock unturned. BF and I was both drunk before we left the first bar. This bar happened to be where he previously bartended so he knew the crew. All he had to say was take good care of them. I’m a fruity drinker nothing hard and I love margaritas so margaritas for me. Bf is a beer man, Dos Equis is his beer and he’s good. Take note, we are not big drinkers and we’re cool with cute fruity drinks more times than not. The bartender was female and she made me one of the best margaritas I have ever had. She used some top shelf tequila. She told me the name but I forget after a few drinks. O my, it was delicious. BF wanted to try something different. BFF decides a mojito. She made BF a mojito that was soooo strong I don’t even see how he was drinking it. And he was knocking them down and drinking them like water. I asked him the next day why were you drinking them so fast. He said he was thirsty. LOL!! Why didn’t you order some water? LOL!! As we’re enjoying our drinks, watching whatever is on the TV, having good conversation and reminiscing about the good ole’ days another bartender appears. Here you go these shots are on the house. OK what is it I ask? I don’t know just try it. It looks good. Yellow on top and then red at the bottom. Here’s to good friends. Mmmm that’s pretty good. So all night we toast and have shots at different bars. I’m drunk and I need to lie down. But guess what my head is no longer hurting from my braids. LOL!! We learn quickly that when you’re a bartender your fellow bartender treats you and your guest to shots ALL NIGHT LONG. After walking along this outdoor mall, bar hopping and getting nice and drunk we have to walk back to the apartment. I’m toast but I’m able to hold it together and walk back. Thank goodness we didn’t drive or ride bicycles. LOL!! I forget the name of the shopping strip/bar hopping/outdoor area we were at but it was really nice. I think it was Lincoln something. It is an excellent place to hang out, eat & drink and people watch. So we stumble back to the apartment. BFF leaves and joins his GF. BF and I undress and we crash. We are out in less than 10 minutes. What a great way to see Miami Beach and kick off our vacation. Thanks BFs BFF for a grand ole’ time.

The flight was uneventful but I must admit I love these large planes. Mental note to self always check to see if there’s a 777/767 available for your flights.

Thanks for the hysterical review! I look forward to reading more!!!

But what airline did you fly that had these large planes??? I'm intrigued!

Um, I think your boss would understand if you completed your review today!

I'm loving it and need more, like, now!

Going on Liberty in January and am just so freakin' excited!

You know what us CC'ers like more than reviews??? Reviews with pictures! :Just saying: :D

I love pics in reviews too. I'm uploading them this weekend. Look for some next week.

Thanks for the hysterical review! I look forward to reading more!!!

But what airline did you fly that had these large planes??? I'm intrigued!

We were flying American Airlines. It looks like these are for long haul flights. This was from DFW to MIA and then on to San Juan I believe. I also flew one from HNL to DFW. Pure luxury and roomy.

Archived