Cruising from Quebec

spongerob

We're looking at the repo from Quebec to FLL next year and has a question concerning air travel to Quebec. Would it be more practical to fly into Montreal and use a Princess transfer to get to Quebec or is it possible to fly to Quebec?

There might be useful information about getting from Montreal to Quebec City (and Princess transfers) on the "Ports of Call" board under "Canada". (I just googled "princess transfer from montreal to quebec city" and found one discussion on the ports of call board that might help you.)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=921004&highlight=princess+transfer+montreal+quebec+city

I flew from Omaha to Newark to Quebec last year on Continental. All the flights were regional jets but it went smooth. Considering the bad weather that we had last year, I was glad we flew into Quebec.

I considered all the options and it wasn't cheaper for me to go to Montreal. If I had a lot of extra time, I would spend time in both cities (fly to Montreal and then go to Quebec and spend a few days there) as both are lovely cities.

My friends who did fly to Montreal took the train on their own (did not use the Princess transfer).

The capital city of the province and has good air connections from Montreal or Toronto. There are numerous regional carriers and Air Canada has several flights a day there. I am not sure if it is serviced by any American carriers. One of the online reservation sites should be able to clear this up for you pretty quick. Quebec city is a wonderful place. The "old city" and the Citadel (home to the 1st Bn R22eR, Vandoos) are not to be missed. Enjoy your stay. I love the place and I'm a western redneck from Alberta.

There are many daily flights from Montreal to Quebec City via Air Canada. They're all on their smaller regional planes that Air Canada calls "Jazz" and they use the Dehavilland Dash-8 planes. They carry about 35 to 40 passengers. My Dad loved flying in them. A little noisy because they're a turbo-prop plane but he still loved the experience and coziness of it. At first he was a little turned off by them, but as time went on he grew to really look forward to any short flights he took on the Dash-8.

The flight takes about 50 minutes, if I remember correctly.

If you're flying into Montreal and connecting directly to Quebec City, fine. But if you plan on staying in Montreal for a day or two then you might be further ahead just renting a car and driving yourself to Quebec City. With all the time wasted in the Montreal Airport and the hassle involved, by the time you take-off you would probably already be in (or pretty close to) Quebec City if you were driving.

Edit. Keep in mind that driving anywhere in Quebec is an experience in itself ;) . Be sure to bring your goggles and racing gloves.

We flew to Quebec on Air Canada last year via Montreal. The flight from Montreal was a 37 seater Jazz aircraft.

The problem we had was that all of the passengers were bound for the ship and even with half the allowance that Air Canada gave us there was too much weight on the plane and some of the luggage had to be offloaded. This happened to one of our friends cases, amongst others.

We were told that it would follow on on the next flight but all the remaining flights that evening were full of the ship`s passengers, giving the same problem.

In the end the case arrived at our hotel the next morning. I don`t know how it got to Quebec but I suspect it would be by road. Luckily we had arrived a day early.

I don`t think any big aircraft fly into Quebec.

Hi There

Did this cruise last year, will do again some time.

We flew three flights in one day Edinburgh , London, Ottawa, Quebec,

last leg was on a tiny Jazz plane the hand luggage went in the hold

no room inside for anything. You knew it was going to be an interesting

flight, when the hatch below your feet opens and the captain asks you

to put your feet down and start running so he can get speed up for take

off.

yours Shogun

We had a cruise that ended in Quebec City and flew Continental from Quebec City to Newark.

There are a limited number of flights into/out of Quebec, and many of the ship's passengers had to take a train to Montreal and fly out from there.

So, yes, you can fly internationally into Quebec City. Just don't wait until too late to make your reservations.

We ended our cruise in Quebec this year and took the train (VIA) to Montreal. It was a beautiful trip and we were glad we had chosen that option. I think it was around $50 per person. It seemed to be a very popular mode of transportation in Canada as the train station was as busy as most airports.

A quick google search turns up that as of 2003 is it now legal to turn right on a red light anywhere in the province...EXCEPT Montreal island.

I knew there was something different about an area of Montreal. There are big signs on all the bridges going into it as a reminder.

Where are you flying from? A newer option if you are traveling from some limited US or Canadian destinations is Porter Airlines, which has it's hub at the Toronto Billy Bishop (downtown) airport, not Pearson, which is the main International airport. If you are coming from a Newark, Boston, or Chicago Midway you could fly into Toronto for a connecting flight to Quebec City.

flyporter.com

Flew in to Quebec for Crown Sept. Only one direct flight from the DC area and it was almost twice the price of a one stop flight. We went through Cincinati and the other most frequent seemed to be Detroit. Our one way flight from Baltimore was $225 when purchased about 6 months out. Later the price doubled. There were many extra flights put on for the ship. Many seemed to have a bit of a luggage problem. Coming in 3 days early all of our luggage made it. Hand luggage only a purse size on the plane rest in hold. Plan for it so meds etc that are needed are with you. The airport in Quebec is small, very modern has an ATM just by the door to the taxi's (about $30C to the Frontenac Hotel Upper Town). Go early for Quebec as it is a great place to visit. Food is fairly high but the quality is wonderful. The Museum of Civilization was great for an afternoon and the stores had wonderfully tempting jewlerly. I also wish I had another taste of the maple sugar truffle that melts in your mouth (and is gone instantly) and was so very wonderful.

We're looking at the repo from Quebec to FLL next year and has a question concerning air travel to Quebec. Would it be more practical to fly into Montreal and use a Princess transfer to get to Quebec or is it possible to fly to Quebec?

Wife and I flew into Quebec Airport on 9/27 and did the 10 day to New York on the Crown. Airport abbrev. is YQB

No right turn on a red light in the entire province unless it has changed in the last two months

On the island of Montreal, there are no right on reds. In Laval, just north of Montreal, there are right on red but with restrictions. Must look at the pictogram with a right turn arrow that will have a slash through it and its a not allowed. Remember, signs are almost 100% in french. Ouest - west

Nord - North, Est - East and Sud - South. Quebec City is very tourist friendly and many speak English. Certain parts of Montreal are very francophone, but even as an Anglophone in Quebec, I never really have a problem.

Just off the Crown Princess and I flew into Montreal and took the train down to Quebec City. Very easy, flew in a day early, spent the night at a hotel near the airport, taxi $40 to Train station and once in Quebec City it is less than a 3 block walk to the ship. Very easy - Use VIA Canada rail. Would do it again in a heart beat!!!:)

Thanks for all the replies. I have visited Quebec many times and even speak a passable Quebecois, although invariably the reply is in English! I guess my accent gives me away. :)

Given the comments about the size of the aircraft serving Quebec, it sounds like Montreal offers more options, especially considering that my better half's idea of packing light is to only empty one closet, not both.

WestJet is Canada's other national airline with stops in several major US cities and most of Canada's mid-to-large cities, including Quebec City. Definitely give yourself at least a day, if not two, in Quebec City. It will take you back two centuries: the people, history, Old Quebec, the Plains of Abraham and the food are fabulous. Skip the transfers, trains and buses and get there as fast as you can.

Archived