New to PG! Lots of questions.

martini cruiser

First time to French Polynesia and first time on PG just booked ( solo)the 2/26/2011 , 7 night cruise, looking for tips, suggestions on the following:

Where to stay 1 night prior don't arrive until 9:30pm? Also staying 2 nights post cruise.

Taxi prices?

Any shore excursions not to be missed?

Favorite bartender?

Not to be missed meal?

Entertainment that's special?

Anything unusual to pack?

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks, Martini Cruiser

Taxi prices?

We usually use ship provided transportation.

Dr Poole's dolphin watch, Motu Mahana (free)

Favorite bartender?

Elmo (now head bartender), Efren (usually pool bar)

Not to be missed meal?

ALL OF THEM - Even try the Grill (casual pool deck) for dinner

Crew Capers

Much LESS clothing than you think (we ALWAYS bring home clothes unworn)

A powerstrip

First time to French Polynesia and first time on PG just booked ( solo)the 2/26/2011 , 7 night cruise, looking for tips, suggestions on the following:

Where to stay 1 night prior don't arrive until 9:30pm? Also staying 2 nights post cruise.

Taxi prices?

Depends where your hotel is, but at night, probably $20-30.

Motu Manaha, the included beach day at Taha'a. If you like wildlife, Dr. Poole's dolphin watch on Moorea; if you are into WWI history, the 4x4 trip on Bora Bora. My favourite, Stingray Ballet on Bora Bora.

the last night, which is a folkloric program put on by a local Tahitian dance troupe.

reef shoes (water shoes), a hat or two, and lots of sunscreen and/or long-sleeved shirt if you are sun sensitive.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks, Martini Cruiser

Wendy the wnaderer thanks, would not have thought about reef/water shoes!

Thinking of staying at the Sofitel Maeva resort for the 1st night, then the Intercontinental for the 2 nights post cruise.

Wonder if anyone has any comments on these hotels.

Thanks again,

Martini Cruiser

Emdee yes, I always wear a t-shirt in the water, and treat it with RIT Sunguard beforehand.

I've never stayed at the Sofitel in Tahiti, although I think I had lunch there once (our first trip, before boarding the ship). The Intercontinental is not my favourite, but most people like it very much. Just be aware that prices for meals are high.

Yes I agree. Go to Moorea at the end of your cruise for your last 2 nights. Sofitel Moorea is also a beautiful place to stay. Spacious grounds, great snorkelling off the overwater bungalows and peaceful.

Defintitely need reef shoes and rashguard.

The lobster with vanilla sauce is not to be missed, nor their creme brulee.

The band Siglo are amazing. They can put their hand to any choice of music you request.

Buy a pareo when you get there and you will live in it, for going to the beach and pool.

We thoroughly enjoyed Patrick's excursion at Bora Bora, but you also do not want to miss Motu Mahana and Tahaa picnic.

All in all you will love every day of your vacation, as we did as first time cruisers of the PG.

• 2 weeks later...

Meals at the resorts are expensive. I think @$80 pp would be average. Even the pizza shops are expensive but not as bad as the resorts.

The ferries leave from the port fairly close to where the PG docks so it isn't a long walk normally. If both your suitcases are wheeled you should be able to manage OK.

It has been a while since I have been on the PG,2008, things may have changed. Hopefully a more recent traveler will chime in.

If you're staying post-cruise in Moorea it may be advantageous to disembark from there, before the ship sails back to Papeete. I've seen people do this. Just be aware that the ferry doesn't travel at night (I don't think it does, anyways), so if you conclude the cruise in Papeete you quite possibly would be stuck in Papeete for the night.

• 3 weeks later...

As a first time cruiser with PG I would like to know if they supply body lotion or cream in the cabin bathrooms. It may seem a little thing but I have an annoying exzema that needs moisturising. I can bring my own but only if I need to.

Thanks

You can buy a rashguard very reasonably at landsend.com.LA Hilton will sponsor a day room for you from noon till 8:00pm for $75.PGI should provide you with accomodations for 1 day pre and 1 day post cruise as part of your vacation package with them.

I assume they provided you with a single supplement waiver as they do for everyone.If you chose to pay via cc other than AMEX,they will charge you a 3% fee which you can have refunded by calling PGI direct.

Have fun!

Archived