Military id card

hovank

My son is in the Naval Reserves and has the green military ID card (similar to the beige active duty one) and it clearly says, US NAVY RESERVES. Does this qualify him for the military discount. The reason I ask is Celebrity's website states-- "1. Active personnel currently serving in the Canadian National Defense; United States Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, Coast Guard, National Guard or Reserves. Proper identification in the form of a United States Uniformed Services WHITE Identification Card for U.S. military personnel.."

He is Naval Reserves but does not have a white CAC card.

**Also, we booked on Tuesday and tonight a military rate showed up. Can we get the discount? It is a higher category and the price is cheaper.

Any suggestions?

Thank you--

I just answered you in the other thread but will post here as well...

I'm pretty certain that he does not qualify. It's for active duty for example whether they are active duty full time navy, tars (who are actually active duty for the reserve navy) or those who are with the reserves and been called up.

If he qualifies for the discount (which it doesn't sound like he does - but call Celebrity tomorrow to ask just to verify) and you haven't paid final payment YES you'd get the discount. If it's after final payment you can get an upgrade (if available).

My son is in the Naval Reserves and has the green military ID card (similar to the beige active duty one) and it clearly says, US NAVY RESERVES. Does this qualify him for the military discount. The reason I ask is Celebrity's website states-- "1. Active personnel currently serving in the Canadian National Defense; United States Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, Coast Guard, National Guard or Reserves. Proper identification in the form of a United States Uniformed Services WHITE Identification Card for U.S. military personnel.."

**Also, we booked on Tuesday and tonight a military rate showed up. Can we get the discount? It is a higher category and the price is cheaper.

Any suggestions?

Thank you--

A military ID is a military ID. I am not active duty, but retired from active duty and my military ID is blue. I get the discount every time I sail. Just have him send a copy of his military ID to the normal place and get the discount.

 there is another portion of celebs policy that states retired military qualify. She simply didn't quote it because it didn't pertain to her son. No not every 'military' id card qualifies. Telling ppl that will either 1 result in a very nasty surprise at the pier or 2 celeb eventually doing away with the discount if it gets abused.

Any suggestions?

Thank you--

By Celebrity's own definition your son qualifies. He is "active personnel currently serving in the Reserves." Although I have never seen nor heard of a white military ID card, I retired after 20 years of service from the Air National Guard. As I recall, our ID cards were pink or red. Retired ID is gray, active duty green, etc. If they allow the discount for anybody after a 2 year hitch with an honorable discharge....

Current active duty ID cards are White CAC cards. They are smart cards with encoding on them. That is what the regulation is referring to. However, since it says that active reservists qualify I would not think this would be an issue. I know on a past cruise where we used the military discount (Carnival), I had to fax a copy of the his ID card over after booking.

Most (if not all) active military members carry a CAC card now. Is he active in the reserves or inactive? If he is inactive, he may not have the CAC card (just a guess- don't know this first hand). The policy states they must be active in the reserves. Also, is he planning to be in the room with you? I believe the policy is you only receive the military rate on the room that the military member will be in.

Celebrity site says anyone serving at least 2 years ative duty qualifies. You just have to have the DD214 form. So I guess I'm one of those who is taking advantge of the system.

Rollie

We just got off of the Infinity from a 14 night PC cruise. My DD214 worked like a champ _ and it is within the terms on the Celebrity Website.

Celebrity site says anyone serving at least 2 years ative duty qualifies. You just have to have the DD214 form. So I guess I'm one of those who is taking advantge of the system.

Rollie

Sounds like you have things mixed up... I never said anyone who qualifies is taking advantage. :rolleyes: and being in the reserves does not mean you are active duty or have been active duty. In fact celeb is pretty clear on what qualifies and whatdoesnt but if there are any areas that seem gray as I stated originally, the best thing to do is verify with celeb so there are no nasty surprises at the pier.

Thank you for the replies. Celebrity said his green card does qualify him. ( :

Also, my husband served 3 years and has his DD214, but no ID card. Where did you read that that would qualify someone to obtain the military discount. We thought he had to have retired from the military. Thanks again.

My husband served for 2 years in the military, and he was eligible for any military discounts, using his DD 214 form.

If you read the info on X web site it states that anyone serving for 2 years active duty is eligible.

We carried a copy of the form along with our boarding pass. They never looked at the form when we checked in.

Thank you for the replies. Celebrity said his green card does qualify him. ( :

Also, my husband served 3 years and has his DD214, but no ID card. Where did you read that that would qualify someone to obtain the military discount. We thought he had to have retired from the military. Thanks again.

The 2 years and DD214 is I believe their line 3) of their policy! Kudos. Glad you called and that they confirmed it for you!

Oh and PS --- I just looked last night out of curiosity - there are STILL some military discounts available on my upcoming cruise -- 12/17 Equinox. In case anyone is either already scheduled for it or wants to save some money!

A military ID is a military ID. I am not active duty, but retired from active duty and my military ID is blue. I get the discount every time I sail. Just have him send a copy of his military ID to the normal place and get the discount.

Are you saying that you always get a military discount or that you only sail on cruises that offer them? I see military rates on a small percentage of cruises I look at.

Would a Veterens Administration card qualify?

Needed to provide them with proof of service and honorable discharge to secure the card.

Issued by the VA and bears my picture and full name.

Thanks for any help.

no it does not. not everyone with a VA card is an actual Veteran. NPS employees also get one.

Archived