SJU processing time?

ZeusLA

I have a couple of questions

-Do any of our members have experience with security at SJU(San Juan). All airports have a wait, but some handle it better than others. How about SJU?

- Does their security area have a priority/business line? I will be in business class.

- Any advice for speeding through the whole airport process - I'll check in online, but still have a bag or two to check.

I checked and the ship I am on(Celebrity Summit) is the only one in port that day(11/27), so I hope that helps. However it is a holiday weekend (Saturday after Thanksgiving).

I just want to be well informed.

Kevin

It's a mess. That's all I can say. Give yourself at least 1.5 hours, if not 2 hours for check in.

One note, when you get there, before you enter the terminal make sure to take your bags to the USDA check.

It's a mess. That's all I can say. Give yourself at least 1.5 hours, if not 2 hours for check in.

One note, when you get there, before you enter the terminal make sure to take your bags to the USDA check.

Did not know that. Thanks for the heads up.

Actually there are USDA checkpoints inside and outside the terminal. Do it before you get in any security or check-in line.

I wonder why as Puerto Rico is part of the US. Although don't tell that to the locals as they insist that Puerto Rico is a separate country.

It's to prevent importation of agricultural pests not present in the states. Even within the Continental US some states, such as California, prohibit importation of certain agricultural items from other states.

I wonder why as Puerto Rico is part of the US. Although don't tell that to the locals as they insist that Puerto Rico is a separate country.

They do the same thing in Hawaii. It's to prevent spread of non-native pests from the islands to the mainland.

Puerto Rico is not part of the United States; it's a dependent territory. Much like the channel islands are to the UK. The perfect example is they don't vote for the president...

Puerto Rico is not part of the United States; it's a dependent territory. Much like the channel islands are to the UK. The perfect example is they don't vote for the president...

You are correct. Only states belonging to the Union have electoral votes. But Puerto Rico is not an independent nation. They carry US passports and are US citizens. Granted, they do not pay Federal taxes other than SS and Medicare.

It's to prevent importation of agricultural pests not present in the states. Even within the Continental US some states, such as California, prohibit importation of certain agricultural items from other states.

They do the same thing in Hawaii. It's to prevent spread of non-native pests from the islands to the mainland.

That makes sense. Thanks for the heads up.

We have flown in and out of Puerto Rico for almost 30 years.

Plan on two hours and a slow amble through TSA.

The last time I was there there were no priority lanes for security. Your airline may offer one for check in.

In the good old days (less than two years ago) you could avoid the USDA inspection by leaving your cruise tags on the luggage, but I do not think this is still the case. It is a check for fruit and insects and applies to all flights to the mainland and some additional destinations like Canada.

There are not many food choices within the secured area and bring a wallet full of cash.

It won't be terribly different with just one ship in. It's just one of those airports you have to experience.

Have a wonderful cruise.

So, assuming my ship (the Summit) is scheduled to arrive in San Juan at 6:00am, is booking a flight that departs at 9:46am pushing my luck?...Or is 3 hours and 46 minutes sufficient to get off the ship and get through security, etc. at SJU???

Thanks in advance.

So, assuming my ship (the Summit) is scheduled to arrive in San Juan at 6:00am, is booking a flight that departs at 9:46am pushing my luck?...Or is 3 hours and 46 minutes sufficient to get off the ship and get through security, etc. at SJU???

Thanks in advance.

It's pushing your luck. Even if your ship arrives at 6am you'll be lucky to be off by 8am at the earliest, and with a 20-30 minute drive to the airport it's now 8:30am. You might make it but if you do miss it you could be in a world of hurt.

Thanks in advance.

It's pushing your luck. Even if your ship arrives at 6am you'll be lucky to be off by 8am at the earliest, and with a 20-30 minute drive to the airport it's now 8:30am. You might make it but if you do miss it you could be in a world of hurt.

Totally agree with wrp96.. If you have a choice - don't do it!! Just remember.. San Juan is on 'Island Time' - nothing moves swiftly.

I cannot imagine making a 9:46.

In addition to all the cons mentioned, if Homeland Security should raise the alert level to red you will NEVER make that flight. Having flown under these conditions before I always keep our wonderful inept TSA in mind when booking air.

Honestly I wouldn't book before 11:30 at the very earliest, and I'd be stressing that reservation as well.

Arrived in SJU via Independence of the Seas last November, booked on a flight to SFO, and don't remember anything about a USDA check in or line. Don't remember even seeing it. We arrived at the airport, a porter got our bags, and we went into the ticket counter with him.

Just for peace of mind, we always book flights out after cruises in the early afternoon. Usually sit at the airport(s) for a couple of hours waiting for the flight. Figure it's all a part of flying....

TnT

In the good old days (less than two years ago) you could avoid the USDA inspection by leaving your cruise tags on the luggage, but I do not think this is still the case. It is a check for fruit and insects and applies to all flights to the mainland and some additional destinations like Canada.

Is this new?? We've never had to go thru USDA checks when flying to Canada whether from SJU or Hawaii.

The last time I was there there were no priority lanes for security.

Some airlines do.... Continental's Elite Access lets you go to the beginning of the security line.

In spite of this, even with self-assist, priority check-in and priority security access I would not book a flight that early. We flew out as late as 5:30pm and enjoyed the day in San Juan, taking the bus to El Morro and having a nice lunch in the old city.

Archived