Pugwash goes to France.

capnpugwash

This is my report on the two day QM2 trip to Cherbourg starting on November 8 2010. I arrived at Southampton at around 11.15 and the traffic was an absolute nightmare. As has been reported elsewhere the Artemis was occupying The Ocean Terminal but notwithstanding that fact, we were directed to that Terminal. There was a security man directing traffic in the centre of the roadway, I stoped to enquire about luggage and he informed me that I had to park in the car park and carry my bags to the terminal. I did this in spite of my reservations and when I got to the terminal building I was directed to the normal luggage drop off to leave my bags. Of course I could have done that originally but never mind. That was the least of the problems. The registration process did not take place in that hall but having waited a little under an hour we were transported by bus to the QE2 terminal. I was so fortunate that I was on the first bus so the desks were empty and I was on board by 12.25. Others had to wait up to 3 hours to register and didn't get on board until 5.30pm which was half an hour after we were supposed to sail. I spent a couple of hours in the afternoon in the Commodore Club and a few CCers turned up, Hcrane and Rafinmd were there as were a few others. We had a good chat and then parted company. We sailed at 6pm and the short crossing was without incident. The dress code was smart casual and this attracted a variety of T shirts and casual shirts. A lot of the passengers were new and perhaps unaware of the code. The bars were very busy and the Chart Room had a party of 22 who would have been more at home in a loud pub. They were shouting and screaming to each other and could be heard throughout the length of deck 3. Chavs might be an unkind description of them but only because it is unkind to chavs They were appaling. End of moan. Dinner was fine and I spent the remainder of the evening at the Commodore Club. There were lots of familiar faces on both sides of the bar, it was good fun. We lost an hour that night and I got to bed at around 2.30am. Why oh why do we do these things. The next day dawned wet and cloudy in France but it soon brightened and it was a nice sunny day, albeit as cold as charity, but at least the sky was blue. There was a free shuttle bus from the ship to the town and it was a popular ride. I had a relaxed day on board and had a very nice curry in the Pub for lunch. At 3.15 I had a yen to go to afternoon tea, which I never do. I went down to the Queens Room and the doors were shut tight and there was a queue of 100 people at each door, it was a zoo. I waited a couple of minutes and got the lift up to Deck 8 for the Terrace Bar, a quick drink in the bitter cold and I was back downstairs, the lines were moving now and I slotted myself in as far forward as I could and got into the room. It was getting full so I sat with a couple of ladies and had a couple of sandwiches and a scone. I asked for clotted cream and the waiter returned with a glass jar and a spoon. It was white but looked like a pale clotted cream and tasted almost like the real thing. Certainly better than the whipped cream that they foist onto most people. The tea was clear and hot - really nice. I had pre dinner cocktails in the Chart Room and it was much quieter than the previous evening althoug very busy. The bars did double the amount of business than they normally do. The dinner was Semi Formal and a lot of people were actually dressed as though for a formal evening. Very smart and much more like Cunard. After dinner I went back to the Commodore Club until about Midnight, I toyed with the idea of going to G32 but thought better of it as I still had to pack. We gained an hour so I was in bed at a reasonable time. I woke this morning to find that we were just approaching the Ocean Terminal at 6am. We moored and I went off for waht I thought was an early breakfast in King's Court, it was packed at 6.30am. I managed to grab a seat and I had my Weetabix and a cup of coffee then back to the cabin. The steward had already changed the bed so I sat for about an hour and then made my way down to the Veuve Clicquot baron deck 3, by the gangway. I was due off at 9am but at just after 8 there was a lull in departing pasengers so I took advantage and sneaked off. My bag was in the Bagae Hall so by 8.15 I was in my car heading north. Traffic was a little busy as it was the Southampton rush hour, but I was home by 9.50. That is not bad is it. I dislike these two day trips as it is far too short but it is better than sitting at home. I was granted $250 of on board credit and managed to spend it all bar $31, it was quite a cheap, fun trip. I would prefer it to be 14 days but what can you do.

This is my report on the two day QM2 trip to Cherbourg starting on November 8 2010. I arrived at Southampton at around 11.15 and the traffic was an absolute nightmare. As has been reported elsewhere the Artemis was occupying The Ocean Terminal but notwithstanding that fact, we were directed to that Terminal. There was a security man directing traffic in the centre of the roadway, I stoped to enquire about luggage and he informed me that I had to park in the car park and carry my bags to the terminal. I did this in spite of my reservations and when I got to the terminal building I was directed to the normal luggage drop off to leave my bags. Of course I could have done that originally but never mind. That was the least of the problems. The registration process did not take place in that hall but having waited a little under an hour we were transported by bus to the QE2 terminal. I was so fortunate that I was on the first bus so the desks were empty and I was on board by 12.25. Others had to wait up to 3 hours to register and didn't get on board until 5.30pm which was half an hour after we were supposed to sail. I spent a couple of hours in the afternoon in the Commodore Club and a few CCers turned up, Hcrane and Rafinmd were there as were a few others. We had a good chat and then parted company. We sailed at 6pm and the short crossing was without incident. The dress code was smart casual and this attracted a variety of T shirts and casual shirts. A lot of the passengers were new and perhaps unaware of the code. The bars were very busy and the Chart Room had a party of 22 who would have been more at home in a loud pub. They were shouting and screaming to each other and could be heard throughout the length of deck 3. Chavs might be an unkind description of them but only because it is unkind to chavs They were appaling. End of moan. Dinner was fine and I spent the remainder of the evening at the Commodore Club. There were lots of familiar faces on both sides of the bar, it was good fun. We lost an hour that night and I got to bed at around 2.30am. Why oh why do we do these things. The next day dawned wet and cloudy in France but it soon brightened and it was a nice sunny day, albeit as cold as charity, but at least the sky was blue. There was a free shuttle bus from the ship to the town and it was a popular ride. I had a relaxed day on board and had a very nice curry in the Pub for lunch. At 3.15 I had a yen to go to afternoon tea, which I never do. I went down to the Queens Room and the doors were shut tight and there was a queue of 100 people at each door, it was a zoo. I waited a couple of minutes and got the lift up to Deck 8 for the Terrace Bar, a quick drink in the bitter cold and I was back downstairs, the lines were moving now and I slotted myself in as far forward as I could and got into the room. It was getting full so I sat with a couple of ladies and had a couple of sandwiches and a scone. I asked for clotted cream and the waiter returned with a glass jar and a spoon. It was white but looked like a pale clotted cream and tasted almost like the real thing. Certainly better than the whipped cream that they foist onto most people. The tea was clear and hot - really nice. I had pre dinner cocktails in the Chart Room and it was much quieter than the previous evening althoug very busy. The bars did double the amount of business than they normally do. The dinner was Semi Formal and a lot of people were actually dressed as though for a formal evening. Very smart and much more like Cunard. After dinner I went back to the Commodore Club until about Midnight, I toyed with the idea of going to G32 but thought better of it as I still had to pack. We gained an hour so I was in bed at a reasonable time. I woke this morning to find that we were just approaching the Ocean Terminal at 6am. We moored and I went off for waht I thought was an early breakfast in King's Court, it was packed at 6.30am. I managed to grab a seat and I had my Weetabix and a cup of coffee then back to the cabin. The steward had already changed the bed so I sat for about an hour and then made my way down to the Veuve Clicquot baron deck 3, by the gangway. I was due off at 9am but at just after 8 there was a lull in departing pasengers so I took advantage and sneaked off. My bag was in the Bagae Hall so by 8.15 I was in my car heading north. Traffic was a little busy as it was the Southampton rush hour, but I was home by 9.50. That is not bad is it. I dislike these two day trips as it is far too short but it is better than sitting at home. I was granted $250 of on board credit and managed to spend it all bar $31, it was quite a cheap, fun trip. I would prefer it to be 14 days but what can you do.
Cap'n, But at least you are booked for a few transatlantic crossings next year.I do hope that I'll be doing a back2back crossing next August. Regards,Jerry

An excellent post Captain! We were one of the unfortunates to be held up in the boarding debacle and came aboard around 4.15. Life boat drill etc., prevented us from meeting up with fellow cc members in the Commodore Club as arranged, which was a shame. I have already posted on another France voyage thread, so I won't repeat my complaints.

We too witnessed the loud and brash behaviour coming from the bar. The noise level was horrendous. As to you using the Chav word, I applaud you for not being politically correct. That is exactly the type of people who seemed to be on board. How Cunard can maintain their ethos of elegant sophistication I don't know. There was nothing remotely elegant about many of the guests on this trip, and I begin to wonder why I bother to maintain my own high standards, when Cunard are happy to lower theirs. Slippery slope ahead.

This was our first trip on Queen Mary, just to see what she was like, prior to booking our first transatlantic, and I am sad to say, we will not be sailing on her again. I sincerely hope standards will not sink further by the time we embark on the QV next year. Last Chance, Cunard.

Keep up,the good work, we enjoy your posts.

Regards

[quote name=chickenwhisperer;

This was our first trip on Queen Mary' date=' just to see what she was like, prior to booking our first transatlantic, and I am sad to say, we will not be sailing on her again. I sincerely hope standards will not sink further by the time we embark on the QV next year. Last Chance, Cunard.

Keep up,the good work, we enjoy your posts.

Regards[/quote]

It is such a shame if your recent experience stops you repeating the Cunard experience. This recent trip was nothing like a normal trip, honestly. Please reconsider your decision and I am sure that you will enjoy it more.

The inescapable fact is, Pugwash, that two or three day cruises are going to attract many of the wrong sort of people and that's why most experienced cruisers avoid them like the plague. It's axiomatic that they will attract the stag-party/hen-party brigade who may otherwise do their carousing in Prague or Tallin. It's a Catch 22 situation for Cunard as it may put more people off Cunard than it attracts to it.

Suffice it to say that if you are looking for a traditional cruise experience, and you can afford it, it's my experience that booking a decent sector of a good World Cruise ticks most of the boxes.

Foxy

Capnpugwash, Thanks for answering questions I had about the Afternoon Tea. I am British and nobody in my house is allowed to make my tea - they just don't boil the water properly! Next June will be our 4th crossing on her (3rd WB), have missed the sailaway from Southampton twice, once due to the weather and last year it was delayed and we were at dinner, still have not been to G-32 or finished looking at all the nautical artwork. Cathy

What's a Chavs ?????

TNX :)

just recognised your photo, we sat next to you in the commodore club and recommended the espresso martini for my wife.Thanks for that. I have to agree there was clearly a younger element on this trip, i dont mind that particularly but there again i did not experience the Chav episode you described.

Good trip report capn', I have to say the type of passengers on the ship did leave a little to be desired at times.. I am younger than most that travel (33) and didn't appreciate some of the staff's attitude towards me whilst aboard on this cruise; it certainly felt like most of them didn't care.

There is certainly nothing wrong with 2-5 day cruises, it does give you the chance to try out different cabin positions and classes on the ship instead of picking one at random and being stuck with it for two weeks.

Our waiter in the Britannia Club was extremely poor and I met our cabin steward just once. My first time on the QM2 and I wasn't very impressed. I will be booking a TA on her late next year and will reserve my final judgement until then. Thankfully, I assumed with so many staff moving to QE and it being 'just' a two night cruise that this usually wouldn't be the Cunard way of running things, I am just pleased I didn't bring on anyone with me who had never sailed Cunard before..

Cunard made a big mess of this operation, if they had spoken about what and why Qm2 wasn't in the correct berth things would have been a lot easier for everyone.

Sorry I missed the CC meet, I did visit straight after sailaway but I guess it must have finished by then!

Cheers,

Chris

As had been said earlier, the difference in clientele on a 2 night sailing vs

11 or longer is considerable - no chavs thankfully.

Last year on our Dec. QM2 Caribbean sailing just a fascinating mix of

nationalities and demographics, all quite civilized.

The inescapable fact is, Pugwash, that two or three day cruises are going to attract many of the wrong sort of people and that's why most experienced cruisers avoid them like the plague. It's axiomatic that they will attract the stag-party/hen-party brigade who may otherwise do their carousing in Prague or Tallin. It's a Catch 22 situation for Cunard as it may put more people off Cunard than it attracts to it.

Suffice it to say that if you are looking for a traditional cruise experience, and you can afford it, it's my experience that booking a decent sector of a good World Cruise ticks most of the boxes.

Foxy

Foxy, with respect, I disagree. Those of us who love sailing on a Cunard ship will take any opportunity possible for a voyage, however short. Phases such as "Wrong sort of people" and "a decent sector of a good World Cruise" no doubt have meaning for many. But not for me. I'll take any opportunity I can get to sail while following ship's regulations and codes. If there are regulations and codes I can not abide, I will not book passage.

Sincerely,

Steerage Salacia

I guess I will be on "Chav" watch for our QM2, 11/16/10 11nt Carribean out of NYC. :)

Hi FIRELT5. Actually, you'll have more important things to watch out for on your cruise. Hurricane season will not have ended. Keep an eye on the sky. And your voyage will be the first time QM2 has reached those Caribbean ports in a year, so you'll be the first to see how the tours and excusions function this year. Several islands will still be in recovery from hurricane season. Be prepared for sudden squalls at sea.

Many excitements await you...please enjoy your voyage and if you find the time, please post what you encounter regarding conditions on the islands.

I don't know if you celebrate Thanksgiving, but if you might enjoy Thanksgiving dinner in Britannia - just my humble opinion.

Regards,

Salacia

Enjoyed reading your post and briefly meeting you with Crane in the CC. As you indicated those two nights were totally different from our TA over. I'm now on the west bound and the mood and ambiance of the Chart room are back to normal. Never have I seen that room so crowded nor noisy as it was during those two days.

Forgive me for asking, but was it expensive? Or just about the cost of a night on the town...afterall, it's all relative, no?

Hi Salacia,

I think there were some bargains to be had and if many of those also got OBC, I am sure that would help towards the 'atmosphere'. (just mistyped that and it looked as though I had imbibed a few drinks too many :D)

heywood

In regard to the shorter trips does anyone know if the 5 day voyages are CHAV or NED(as we say in Scotland) infested. I was considering a short 5 night on the QE in April just to see the ship. I'm reconsidering now, any thoughts or personal experiance?

In regard to the shorter trips does anyone know if the 5 day voyages are CHAV or NED(as we say in Scotland) infested. I was considering a short 5 night on the QE in April just to see the ship. I'm reconsidering now, any thoughts or personal experiance?

I have travelled on a 5 day QM2 trip before and my only complaint was that it was too short. The people were great, there was no problem at all with the guests, they were just normal Cunard passengers. You should book it and enjoy it.

I'm pleased to hear that Cap'n - We have booked a 5 day on QE next October and was beginning to think I'd done the wrong thing after reading your post.

We recently did a westbound TA followed by New England and even then the dress code and atmosphere for the 5/6 days out of New York was totally different to the TA experience.

I agree with your comments about taking the longer voyage, and if anyone wants to see Cunard at its best then take Transatlantic - Others might say take part of or all the World Cruise but as I haven't had the pleasure of that yet I can only draw on my experiences.

Archived