Royal Family Suite Vs Two D1's on Navigator

The Royal Family Suite is available on the Navigator for our 4 night cruise. I'm torn between moving to that or keeping our two Aft D1's on deck 10. Pros and Cons? I'm aware of the suite benefits but I like the idea of two separate rooms too plus the higher deck. What are your thoughts?

The Royal Family Suite is available on the Navigator for our 4 night cruise. I'm torn between moving to that or keeping our two Aft D1's on deck 10. Pros and Cons? I'm aware of the suite benefits but I like the idea of two separate rooms too plus the higher deck. What are your thoughts?

Are you all adults, or do you have underage cruisers with you? If you are all 21+, you will enjoy Happy Hour in the CL every night. If you have children with you, they won't be allowed in, so you won't reap the full benefit of that.

Are you on a "cruise credit" hunt? You'll get an extra credit for the RFS.

Price difference?

Are you all adults, or do you have underage cruisers with you? If you are all 21+, you will enjoy Happy Hour in the CL every night. If you have children with you, they won't be allowed in, so you won't reap the full benefit of that.

Are you on a "cruise credit" hunt? You'll get an extra credit for the RFS.

Price difference?

We have all adults except one 11 year old. Not really on a credit hunt. We're already getting an extra one for the December event. I was trying to determine the alcohol benefit as the "kids" have been known to drink a beer or 10. There is about a $1000 price difference for the 6 of us. I'm not sure we'll drink that much in 4 nights. I can't remember ever averaging $200 a day in alcohol on my sea pass.

What types of alcohol are served in the CL?

Won't get the fancy foo-foo drinks in the concierge lounge. Just the normal well drinks as well as a selection of beer, wine & champagne.

We had a royal family suite on the Freedom last year for my wife & I, son (30 years old) & significant other, and daughter (28 years old) & her significant other. We were rarely in each others way, enjoyed the concierge lounge for a while every evening, and the balcony is HUGE... big table (not the little D1 balcony tables) for 6 on one half of the balcony and loungers and chairs on the other half of the balcony. We enjoyed it and would do it again.

Edit: The main reason we got the family suite was so that our kids could take advantage of the concierge lounge. The thing they most took advantage of was the roped off area of the pool deck that is for suite guests only. They NEVER had to worry about chair hogs. This was a 7 night eastern Caribbean cruise so the reserved deck chairs ended up being the most important part of the cruise for them.

Tim

Check out the type of beds in the Family Suite. If anyone in your group is going to have to take a sofabed, I'd opt for the D1's. We did the sofabed thing on one cruise and said, never again. We wanted to at least get a Jr. Suite or above for an upcoming cruise, both to get the credits and use the CL. We were on the verge of booking and decided we should double-check on the accomodations. When the RCI rep said "sofa bed" we went for 2 balcony cabins, without hesitation. I slept on the sofa bed and I'm not even picky. I had always said I could sleep on a bed of nails, but I've never made that claim since the sofa bed. It's not the same as the regular beds or pullmans. JMO, but, DON'T DO IT if it involves having to put someone on the sofabed. :eek:

Won't get the fancy foo-foo drinks in the concierge lounge. Just the normal well drinks as well as a selection of beer, wine & champagne.

Tim

Well shoot! If I can't get my Cosmopolitan, Lemon Drop, Miami Vice and Love Connection, I'm not sure it's worth it for me. ;-) Everyone else is happy with beer, wine and Captain and Coke.

Is soot a problem on deck 8? My 11 year old always sleeps on the sofa bed. He's usually so tired he doesn't care.

Well shoot! If I can't get my Cosmopolitan, Lemon Drop, Miami Vice and Love Connection, I'm not sure it's worth it for me. ;-) Everyone else is happy with beer, wine and Captain and Coke.

Is soot a problem on deck 8? My 11 year old always sleeps on the sofa bed. He's usually so tired he doesn't care.

Yes to the first two drinks, no to the second. No blender.

Most CL bartenders will make a Cosmo or a Lemon Drop, which is just a lemon martini, basically.

I haven't had the RFS on NV, only on MR, but they are twins. No soot.

I slept on the sofabed for ten nights. Was the bed in the master suite and in the interior room better? Yes. Did I perish from sleeping on the sofabed? No. (I had the steward put TWO eggcrate mattress toppers on it)

We were above the family suite I believe in our aft JS and it got very sooty from the smoke and tracked around. Had to have been a mess tracked into the cabin.

It looked awesome with the hot tub on the lanai/balcony which was huge.

You had to have been on a Freedom Class ship, overlooking Deck 6. That was the Presidential Suite, not the RFS.

We have all adults except one 11 year old. Not really on a credit hunt. We're already getting an extra one for the December event. I was trying to determine the alcohol benefit as the "kids" have been known to drink a beer or 10. There is about a $1000 price difference for the 6 of us. I'm not sure we'll drink that much in 4 nights. I can't remember ever averaging $200 a day in alcohol on my sea pass.

What types of alcohol are served in the CL?

But the bottom line for me would be: $1000 more for the RFS for a 4 nighter? NO WAY.

But the bottom line for me would be: $1000 more for the RFS for a 4 nighter? NO WAY.

I'm inclined to agree with you. The reserved pool chairs would be nice but we'll have loungers on our balconies on deck 10. I can't remember the last time I actually got in the pool on a cruise. Thanks for your input! :)

Since the "free" alcohol is only for a limited amount of time each evening, I doubt you'd drink $1000 worth! Now, if it was an added $1000 on a 10 nighter, I'd do it, but not for 4 nights!

I just switch for my 10 night. The difference between the D1 and RFS was $1000. It will be our first RFS.

They do save chairs by the pool on the Explorer right?

• 3 weeks later...

Archived