Truth in reporting about Splendor

pastorpwally

Interesting. I hope someone with a marine background answers you.

I guess it was good that they did not lower the life boats, could you have seen the image of the tugs towing the ship and all the life boats in a string like that little kids toy of ducks, following each other,

Big white ship and little orange ducks following it.

Since I usually take an inside cabin I always travel with a flashlight and a touchlight in case I need/want to get up in the dark and not disturb my friends. A lot of people poo-poo the packing lists, but I venture to say that many will add flashlights to their lists now. From accounts, having a balcony didn't help because at night on the sea it was only moonlight.

As for being prepared, I check before going to bed to be sure that we can put our hands on a robe and shoes and try to have something out to throw on in case of an emergency. I pack a flashlight as well and carry one of those wallets that go around your neck, under clothing. I put our money, credit cards, and passports in it and put it in the safe. Before going to bed, I open the safe so I can grab that wallet and throw it around my neck in case we need to evacuate.

I've also learned to take pajamas that I can wear into the hallway if necessary. We, too, keep our valuables on a hook and ready to pick up on the way out.

Read John Heald's blog - this should answer almost all your questions. He spells out what happened from the time the event occured until the ship was towed into San Diego. It is a five or six part blog and needs to be read all the way through. He is totally honest with what happened and how he, the captain and the crew handled the situation. You gotta read it.

His blog is riveting, and I think he, the Captain, and Carnival did a great job. But while reading this also jumped out at me. When the passengers were told to exit their cabins and John asked the Captain if they should bring their life jackets with them and the Captain said no. My only thought was that they weren't postive at that point that they could put the fire out because the crews kept needing to exit out and the smoldering/fire/smokeless/with smoke whatever wasn't gone. I think this is the only mistake they made based on what I read. Because if it was worse case scenario and they needed to board the lifeboats, they would not have wanted those people returning to their cabins to get them. Luckily it didn't happen, but I wonder when Carnival Monday morning quarterbacks and internally what went wrong and what went right if this isn't one of the issues that is discussed.

I think In2Why is exactly right. Especially given the timing when the bridge didn't really have a clue. Having the pax have to run down to their rooms to don lifejackets would have been a panic.

I don't know, but I suspect that this call will be reviewed seriously by the "beards" in Miami.

I guess I saw the whole thing differently. I was on vacation when I woke up to the news reports about the Splendor.

The ship was adrift off Mexico, power was out for the most part, help was going to be on the way.

Now, I don't care how you cut it, THAT SUCKS. It sucks for the passengers, the crew, and for Carnival. Any attempt to spin it around the other way is insane.

I didn't get the impression that news people were overly dramatic or anything else. I don't care if the "menu" wasn't spot on or all the other little details.

They did report about Carnival taking care of the passengers and the very fair compensation. Apparently CCL couldn't have done better under the circumstances.

Now where did I get this info?? From the media that everybody is slamming.

Journalistic ethics=oxymoron.

On the bright side, many current news outlets these days have websites which allow comments. It provides anyone who wants to vent with an outlet to express their views on the topic.

From the number which get deleted, SOMEone reads them...

I was seriously peeved at some of the reporting during the incident and on the Splendor's return to San Diego. I am going to single out Wolf Blitzer at CNN for my biggest disappointment.

For a journalist who did incredible work during the opening days of Desert Storm from that hotel in Baghdad he continues to go downhill in his over-the-top hype of "Breaking News". He always sounds what I term as "breathless" with his tragedy of the hour, even if it is definitely not a tragedy.

Well I'm pretty much a Fox news addict but one can't help but notice that every other minute they're flashing a big red "BREAKING NEWS" banner across the screen and all it turns out to be most of the time is just the "next" story and not some earthshaking bulletin.

They all do it to one extent or another.

I thought there were redundant life jackets on board, which I thought was one of the reasons the decision was made not to have the jacket with you during muster?

I know several muster drill I've been on have actually shown where they are stored on the decks. Seems to me, for whatever it's worth, that they wanted to get folks out of the smokey areas but weren't planning on exavuating the ship.

Grammar, punctuation and spelling is all now days. Ethics was dropped due to budgetary reasons. ;)

Nah, they don't teach grammar, punctuation, or spelling either. I can have a field day with our local papers and a red pen! You'd think that someone in the process would at least hit the spell-check button!

I know several muster drill I've been on have actually shown where they are stored on the decks. Seems to me, for whatever it's worth, that they wanted to get folks out of the smokey areas but weren't planning on exavuating the ship.

Ah, that makes more sense. I didn't realize that they had enough lifejackets on the decks for everyone. Glad they do although I hope and pray no one ever needs them.

Another point about life jackets -- John Heald's amazingly calm and gentle announcements that did such a good job keeping everyone calm would not be nearly as effective if everyone was wearing a life jacket and at their muster station. We all know how uncomfortable we were for the 15 to 20 minute drills.

I know this has been posted many times, but -- this is a must read.

http://johnhealdsblog.com/

If you could get a similar account from the other key people - head chef, house keeping, hotel manager, chef engineer and of course the captain -- this would be a great book. (just to us cruise nuts)

One small comment on muster drill (and I echo your other comments). The Splendor cruise to nowhere was our first cruise, and I dreaded muster drill. I knew we had to go, right, but I told my husband that we couldnt be the first down there or we would be sweaty and packed like sardines. Well, he doesn't listen and we go anyway, and stand there and wait right. Well, first off, yes we waited for at least 15 minutes while the crew members got in place and everyone showed up. We were lucky and on deck 4 right near the doors with the open ocean breeze pouring in, so many people were cold lol. I was fine. I actually facebooked one post right before muster started and a friend replied I should pay attention lol. I did. And boy am I glad. We never needed to go there, but should we have, I would have known exactly where to go, and what to do.

Always pack a flashlight, pay attention to muster and dont get so drunk that you cant evacuate.

Welcome back...we are all so glad everyone made it home safely.

Im curious to see if people have a different opinion or sence of urgency to get to the muster drill after what happened on Splendor. Thank god you didnt have to evacuate but clearly there was a chance that it could have occured. Like i tell my children....there is a one in a million chance we will need this information, however if you end up being that one in a million person you will be glad you have it.

Grammytan, I have you by two cruises, but your suggestions are excellent! I, too, take a small, LED flashlight along (in fact, two, one for each of us) and we also keep clothing closeby. But the hidden wallet and opening the safe at night is an excellent idea. Mind telling where I could buy one of these wallets? I like to travel with cash instead of credit cards, but still, a great idea.

In case of a real emergency life vests are near the boats .Had they announced to return to cabin to get one I think would have created a panic and more danger with people running helter skelter .Plus no electricity was definitely much harder on everyone esp those on lower decks and in inside cabins

I agree that outdoors was probably the safest place to wait and see

As well as an ample quantity stored inside each of the life boats.

Archived