Truth in reporting about Splendor

pastorpwally

Seeing as they are less than a dollar to buy in bulk, yes. I guess you'd rather pack your camping gear to go on a cruise though. :rolleyes:

I have my trusty attached to my keys. Comes in well on stage for set design changes as well!

I can only imagine trying to populate each stateroom each sailing.

Give me my chocolates instead.

I have my trusty attached to my keys. Comes in well on stage for set design changes as well!

I can only imagine trying to populate each stateroom each sailing.

Give me my chocolates instead.

I'm sure your chocolate is going to do you a fat lot of good when the lights go out and you're stuck in an inside cabin. They'll keep you fed for what? Half an hour?

Perhaps you should also pack some MREs, to avoid a beet sandwich.

:rolleyes:

I'm sure your chocolate is going to do you a fat lot of good when the lights go out and you're stuck in an inside cabin. They'll keep you fed for what? Half an hour?

Perhaps you should also pack some MREs, to avoid a beet sandwich.

:rolleyes:

First off, you would NEVER find me in a closet.

And I would have my own light.

First off, you would NEVER find me in a closet.

And I would have my own light.

Bully for you.

When are you going to realize that not everyone does as you do nor wants to?

Nor that your personal predilections absolve CCL from looking out for every other gues who isn't you?

Bully for you.

When are you going to realize that not everyone does as you do nor wants to?

Nor that your personal predilections absolve CCL from looking out for every other gues who isn't you?

My opinion reflects what I woulddo. What do I care if someone has their own as well? You asked a question, I answered it.

Your personal predilection is that CCL will put flashlights in EVERY cabin.

The lighting issue was something I had already addressed in my packing, as we will be in two inside cabins and having a penlight at the bedside is a little more convenient (and polite) than banging around the room at 3am on your way to the bathroom.

As for the rest of it, I'm just going to enjoy my vacation! :cool:

Welcome to Cruise Critic PastorWally :p. I am one of these people who believes only half of what I see in print and almost nothing of what I hear.

Unless someone from a news outlet (radio, television or print) was on the ship I took it with a grain of salt and just shook my head when listening to them on the television or reading about it in print.

Sensationalism is alive and well :eek: and living in the United States.

Grammar, punctuation and spelling is all now days. Ethics was dropped due to budgetary reasons. ;)

What I find funny is that on some subject many people cry that it is not the job of the schools to teach about some subjects. (Sex Ed. comes to mind). But when it comes to Ethics it is up to the school to teach this one.

Sorry people, Ethics and honesty starts at home it has nothing to do school and professes. A student learns how to be dishonest at home, they learn how to take shortcuts at home, They learn sensationalism at home. I know it is a popular thing to blame the education system for many of our problems, but it is time for all of us to look in the mirror to see the root of the problem.

My opinion reflects what I woulddo. What do I care if someone has their own as well? You asked a question, I answered it.

Your personal predilection is that CCL will put flashlights in EVERY cabin.

Ahh, yes, Pete. Thanks, I keep forgetting that "I got mine so screw you" is the motto of so many these days.

Sorry people, Ethics and honesty starts at home it has nothing to do school and professes. A student learns how to be dishonest at home, they learn how to take shortcuts at home, They learn sensationalism at home. I know it is a popular thing to blame the education system for many of our problems, but it is time for all of us to look in the mirror to see the root of the problem.

On one hand, yes.

On the other, "journalistic ethics" is a highly specialized course that all j-school graduates have to pass and very different from basic moral training and has more to do with plagarism, editorialism, presentation of facts, etc. etc. etc.

The problem is that many people don't understand that "not what I like" doesn't mean "biased".

Looks like it's time to change the circle you hang out with.

Meanwhile, I suggest you reread my post.

I was two sentences long. No need to re-read it.

"What do I care if someone has their own as well?"

Better question is, shouldn't you care if you're the only one who has one?

What I find funny is that on some subject many people cry that it is not the job of the schools to teach about some subjects. (Sex Ed. comes to mind). But when it comes to Ethics it is up to the school to teach this one.

Sorry, I disagree. Professional ethics goes beyond simply being truthful. Many professional schools and university majors include ethics in their curriculum. I know ethics in the medical field is a must. We encounter ethical dilemmas all in the time in my profession. This is not something that should just left to parents. It is, and should be, addressed in nursing and medical school, as well as in continuing education classes as technology and medical knowledge advances. I believe the same should go for professions like journalism and communications.

Most people do pretty much blow off the muster drill and think it is simply a pain in the butt. I have no problem with doing the drill. Do I like it no, but do I think it is needed and a good idea, yes.

Me, too. I also remind my cabin mates that we need to remember where our muster station is so that we don't have to study the back of the door to find out in a real emergency.

On one hand, yes.

On the other, "journalistic ethics" is a highly specialized course that all j-school graduates have to pass and very different from basic moral training and has more to do with plagarism, editorialism, presentation of facts, etc. etc. etc.

The problem is that many people don't understand that "not what I like" doesn't mean "biased".

I should have read your post before responding.

You said it better and made it more concise as well.:o

A huge problem is that bias sells, t is what the people want. we can sit here and complain about sensationalism in the news, the truth is that is what brings in high ratings. high ratings = more money

I was two sentences long. No need to re-read it.

"What do I care if someone has their own as well?"

Better question is, shouldn't you care if you're the only one who has one?

You seem to STILL be thinking I am referring to a flashlight.

I will help you.

"What do I care if someone has their own (opinion) as well?"

A lot of what I saw was just plan sloppy.

"The Ship was headed for Acapulco"

"They've been without hot meals for the better part of two days" - this the morning of the arrival in S.D. -- the start of the fourth day.

Other small things that experienced cruises knew to be wrong or incomplete.

I saw a maritime attorney -- and he actually said the only reason Carnival (and all others) have foreign flags is to avoid U.S. safety regulations and inspections. He didn't mention the the Coast Guard had just inspected the Splendor on Sunday or anything about SOLAS requirements or CDC inspections. He made it sound like they didn't need to answer to anyone but Noriega's brother in law. :mad: -- it really pissed me off, because he sounded like he was telling the truth and the reporter was lapping it up.

And here I thought the foriegn flags were to avoid taxes, not safety. Well Done CCL. They, in my opinion, handled this "incident" very well. They're even letting the TAs keep the commisions from the bookings they made for passengers on the cruises that have been cancelled, along with everything else. I am so impressed with them. If you didn't see the thread, this is how Celebrity handled a similar situation, http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1308948

Now, I have not read all three pages of posts, so if this has been said, sorry,

My big concern for the people on the Splendor, now after thinking about it a few days, is this, and first we must agree to a few assumptions,

1, when the power was out, the elevators did not work

2, when the power was out, if they had lowered the life boats, they could not have gotten them back up,

3, smoke was coming out of the funnel

Now this is my problem/concern, why did the have everyone go up to the open deck on top, when there was a fire in the engine room, wouldn't it have been better to send them to the muster stations, inside or outside, but near the life boats, I think having all 4000 passengers and part of the crew up on the top deck, and then trying to get down 5 or 6 decks to the life boats, if they were needed would have been a problem.

if the outside top deck was to get out of the smoke, what about hot soot sparks coming out of the funnel?

I think Carnival did a great job, but that part of the emergency was strange, to go up past the life boats, if they were on the side decks, they would have been protected from soot, or if hot metal sparks were coming out. If must have been hot, because 4 days later there was still black smoke coming out of the funnel

Glad it all worked out in the end, and no one was hurt in all the excitement.

Now, I have not read all three pages of posts, so if this has been said, sorry,

My big concern for the people on the Splendor, now after thinking about it a few days, is this, and first we must agree to a few assumptions,

1, when the power was out, the elevators did not work

2, when the power was out, if they had lowered the life boats, they could not have gotten them back up,

3, smoke was coming out of the funnel

Now this is my problem/concern, why did the have everyone go up to the open deck on top, when there was a fire in the engine room, wouldn't it have been better to send them to the muster stations, inside or outside, but near the life boats, I think having all 4000 passengers and part of the crew up on the top deck, and then trying to get down 5 or 6 decks to the life boats, if they were needed would have been a problem.

if the outside top deck was to get out of the smoke, what about hot soot sparks coming out of the funnel?

I think Carnival did a great job, but that part of the emergency was strange, to go up past the life boats, if they were on the side decks, they would have been protected from soot, or if hot metal sparks were coming out. If must have been hot, because 4 days later there was still black smoke coming out of the funnel

Glad it all worked out in the end, and no one was hurt in all the excitement.

Interesting. I hope someone with a marine background answers you.

Read John Heald's blog - this should answer almost all your questions. He spells out what happened from the time the event occured until the ship was towed into San Diego. It is a five or six part blog and needs to be read all the way through. He is totally honest with what happened and how he, the captain and the crew handled the situation. You gotta read it.

Read John Heald's blog - this should answer almost all your questions. He spells out what happened from the time the event occured until the ship was towed into San Diego. It is a five or six part blog and needs to be read all the way through. He is totally honest with what happened and how he, the captain and the crew handled the situation. You gotta read it.

It was an excellent description of the events but does not answer all of the questions. I would like to know why the lido deck and not to muster stations.

Have a feeling they came a little closer to leaving the ship than we have been told.

It was an excellent description of the events but does not answer all of the questions. I would like to know why the lido deck and not to muster stations.

Have a feeling they came a little closer to leaving the ship than we have been told.

I think they were trying to get everyone out of the smoky interior as they thought they could get the engines running again. Note that the passengers were not even asked to take their life jackets with them. I don't think they expected to need to abandon ship. Once they hit the engine room with the CO2, that took care of the fire so the main thing was to get rid of the smoke.

Wait ... what? How would a newspaper benefit of future litigation? Or are you saying that the newpapers are just reporting what other eye-witnesses who are hell-bent on litigation are saying?

I find it ironic that so many people are discussing journalistic ethics and then pointing to the statements of a public-facing employee of the line in question as being impeachable. I wonder if any of you are actually familiar wtih the concept of "journalistic ethics", or if you just want so badly to buy into the "JH is infallible, CCL are heroes, kumbaya, coke-and-a-smile" line that you're simply overlooking facts as opposed to displaying a certain bias.

I certainly dont think that the media outlets (print of audio/visual) have any intention of filing suit, but I definitely-and just my personal opinion-got the feeling that some that were interviewed or quoted were getting thier ducks in a row. Some of the interviews I saw reminded me of the episode of "The Brady Bunch" were Mrs. Brady backs into a man's car at the supermarket and he gets out and is fine only to show up at court in a neckbrace leaning on a cane. I am sure it was totally miserable and I pray that I will never have to experiance a similiar situation. As for the claim that some feel GH and CCL is "infallible" your probably right. But I submit that the reason most of us are so loyal is that you can see and experiance with every cruise on CCL their level of guest care and safety. I have cruised with Carnival 6 times. Some were great, some were not. But the reason I always come back is that on CCL, you feel like family. Thanks to all for the welcome and kind words! Blessings to all!:)

Archived