Review: CB - Southern Caribbean - 11/7-11/14

LollyMoz

Sadly I was on the beach when the man was pulled from the water. Supposedly he was on the bus tour and was struggling going to the fort and couldnt get inough air in the bus

they worked a long time on him but from what i heard he was gone alreay

Ambulance took FOREVER

took awhile to cover him and then finally someone put an umbrealla over him

He was on the beach a good 2 hours when I finally left to go back to the ship.

How awful. My heart goes out to his family.

PS - Some people miss the towel animals as they are not the norm on Princess. We asked our cabin steward to make us one and he made a little monkey who hung on the curtain throughout our cruise. I asked if we could take him home and Allan said sure, but he sort of came apart in the luggage. You should see my hubby trying to reconstruct him...it's quite amusing! :D

I can no longer access my cruise personalizer, but I want to say it was under special requests... ours said we'd have them but when we got there, our cabin steward didn't know, so I'm not sure how reliable it is. If you want to do it yourself, you can fax the request to 661-284-4885 and include your name, booking number, ship, sail date, cabin number, phone number and e-mail address along with your request for egg crates, robes, etc. Good luck!

Does this look familiar??? I know I have the boat right not sure about the bar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eZJSBw527E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2LRMUPwCeA

YESSS!!! You got the boat right - we were on the same one with you. I dont' recognize the bar though. Did you participate in the limbo contest? My hubby did...first round at least! Ha! It was really a fun day.

Thanks Lolly for the rest of your review. We are just counting down the days now, can't wait!!

COME ON NOW PEOPLE, LOLLY NEEDS HELP ON HOW TO UPLOAD HER PICTURES!!!!! I don't know the process to do this, BUT I KNOW THERE ARE PEOPLE ON HERE THAT CAN HELP HER!!! I need to see some recent pics of the CB.

Steve

Great review looking forward to the next part. One question i would like to ask is you said that you carried alcahol on board with you is that now allowed as when we went on Sea Princess our bags were checked and it was removed and given back at the end of the cruise

That is because you carried it in your carry-on bags... Try your checked luggage next time!

To the OP, thank you so much for a wonderful review!

Thanks for the detailed and interesting TR. We're on the CB in January and I can't wait :)

I can't seem to get the photos figured out, but if nothing else, people can friend me on FB and see the pics there.

At the bottom of the photo album page you'll find a link that says something like Share this album with people who are not on Facebook. Just paste that link over here and people can see your pics, without having to friend everyone :). HTH!

Thanks for the detailed and interesting TR. We're on the CB in January and I can't wait :)

At the bottom of the photo album page you'll find a link that says something like Share this album with people who are not on Facebook. Just paste that link over here and people can see your pics, without having to friend everyone :). HTH!

Cool - I'll give it a try. For anyone interested, here you go!

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=93738&id=1503632699&l=75097efa58

Thank you!!!

Some people miss the towel animals as they are not the norm on Princess. I asked if we could take him home and Allan said sure, but he sort of came apart in the luggage. You should see my hubby trying to reconstruct him...it's quite amusing! :D

Your husband is a brave man to even attempt to reconstruct a towel animal. IHMO, they are a heck of a lot harder to make than most people realize. I bet you're wishing you had a video camera to record that attempt. :D

Thanks for the trip report. I made quite a few additional notes to my cruise tips document based on your report!

Your husband is a brave man to even attempt to reconstruct a towel animal. IHMO, they are a heck of a lot harder to make than most people realize. I bet you're wishing you had a video camera to record that attempt. :D

Thanks for the trip report. I made quite a few additional notes to my cruise tips document based on your report!

At last check, John, the monkey was upside down (shhh, don't tell my hubby). Allan would be appalled. Should have gotten a tutuorial before we left. Yes, they are most definitely more difficult than one would think! :D

At last check, John, the monkey was upside down (shhh, don't tell my hubby). Allan would be appalled. Should have gotten a tutuorial before we left. Yes, they are most definitely more difficult than one would think! :D

:eek::eek: Boy are you lucky you didn't get caught at Customs - it is against the law to bring monkeys back from the Caribbean....

BK

• 2 weeks later...
Pre-Cruise and Embarkation

We stayed one night pre-cruise at the Holiday Inn Express in Condado, just across the street and down the block from the La Concha, where our friends stayed. The HI is a no-frills, inexpensive place to stay if you are just looking for a spot to crash for a night or two. The location is good and the rooms are clean. The La Concha, on the other hand, is a fabulous resort (we stayed there last year) and if you don’t mind shelling out a bit more cash, or are looking for more of a “destination” type spot, then I’d recommend the La Concha. Their pool area and night life are fabulous!

It was pouring rain when the cab came to pick us up at the HI, and we slogged through ankle deep water (there is no covered portico at the HI) to get in. But hey, we’re on our way, so no worries! It was $20 to the pier plus $1 per bag for the cab and the ride was about 10 minutes. We arrived at 1:00 p.m. under a torrential downpour, but luckily the cab pulled up under cover so our bags didn’t get soaked. We pulled in at the opposite end of where the luggage gets checked in, so the men-folk took the big bags down to check in and we waited with the carry-ons. There was no line whatsoever, and when they rejoined us, we simply walked up, showed our paperwork and walked in the door to the security scanner. From there we literally walked up to the check in counter – no wait at all – and in a flash we had our cruise cards in hand and walked over to the duty free shop to await our friends (who got stuck when the security scanner had a 10 minute melt down). At the duty free, we purchased two bottles of wine, a bottle of scotch, a bottle of vodka, and a twelve pack of water which came to somewhere under $70 for everything. The wine and water we simply carried in the store bag. The other two bottles we placed in my carryon and had no problems at all. Note: The shop does not carry beer. The gents were very disappointed about that and had they known before hand (we didn’t remember from last year), would have gotten some in San Juan. So, all told, from the time the taxi dropped us off to the time we were settling in to our cabin, it was somewhat less than 45 minutes.

Cabin

We were in two mini suites on Dolphin (D319 and D601). There was plenty of storage (the desk had three drawers, each night stand had two drawers, plenty of shelf space under the two televisions, suitcases fit under the bed (except for our biggie, which slipped into the back corner of the closet), wardrobe had lots of shelf space and a small safe, shelf above the closet. Closet had 38 hangars, nine of which had trouser clips. Bathroom had a tub and shower (no issues with the curtain) and several shelves with enough counter space for both of us. Having sailed on the CB previously, we knew to ask for two egg crates, which we did before we sailed, but which were not on the beds when we arrived. When I asked our wonderful cabin steward, Allan, about the egg crates, he knew nothing about them (even though they were shown as confirmed in my Cruise Personalizer), but brought us two promptly. One of the egg crates was so thin it might was well have not been there at all, but still two of them did help the bed situation to a certain degree. Our friends also got two egg crates. We are not fans of the beds on the CB and our friends said that they also found the beds to be the least comfortable beds they had experienced on 18 cruises. This is a subjective thing, of course, as some don’t seem to find them too bad. We also asked Allan for two robes, but they were not available until the next day. Our balcony had four chairs, two with adjustable backs, and a table. The balconies on Dolphin are completely uncovered, so you can be seen from above. I don’t have a problem with that and enjoy the sun aspect, but we did have two incidences of things landing on our balcony from above – one a spent match, and another a cigarette butt. First of all, those things shouldn’t be thrown off the side of the ship under any circumstances. Secondly, my night time ritual is to sit outside and enjoy a libation under the stars. Had I been sitting there when those items were tossed from above, I would have been beaned in the head, as they both landed in the chair in which I had been sitting. I guess there are those who either don’t listen to the announcements about not tossing smoking materials off the side of the ship, or else they just don’t care.

I have much more to share - this will be long I fear - but I have a question for previous reviewers. I'd love to insert photos from my computer but am having a problem doing so. I tried cutting and pasting from a word document, tried pasting directly from the computer...nothing seems to be working. Any advice from you would be appreciated as I continue my review.

What is CB? :confused:

Archived