Cabin 7130 on the Marina

Cookie1

Hello emairs - a bit of light CC board cruising has led me to your post and I thought we should just say hi as we are to be neighbours at the end of the month! We are in 7133. In fact it seems there will be a little gaggle of CC'ers 'down the back' as Dino2067 is just across the hallway.

Look forward to meeting you!

Adrian & Elaine (from the UK)

Hello emairs - a bit of light CC board cruising has led me to your post and I thought we should just say hi as we are to be neighbours at the end of the month! We are in 7133. In fact it seems there will be a little gaggle of CC'ers 'down the back' as Dino2067 is just across the hallway.

Look forward to meeting you!

Adrian & Elaine (from the UK)

Hi Adrian & Elaine:

That's great. We look forward to meeting you too!! We'll have to get together and party in the aft!!. We're sooo excited.

Eli & Bill

It appears from the ship deck plan that all the balconies from 7108 wrapping back and up to 7111 are significantly bigger thatn other balconies. Can anyone verify if this is true. We have 7123 and it looks like a hugh balcony for a standard balcony cabin

It appears from the ship deck plan that all the balconies from 7108 wrapping back and up to 7111 are significantly bigger thatn other balconies. Can anyone verify if this is true. We have 7123 and it looks like a hugh balcony for a standard balcony cabin

Yes, those balconies are about 6 feet deeper, but the same width as a standard balcony.

032105.jpg

This photo shows how much further they extend, versus the other balconies.

I personally prefer the sterns of the great old oceanliners, without looking at a bunch of balconies! Less boxy with beautiful curves. But as they say, that's what makes horseraces.

Yes, those balconies are about 6 feet deeper, but the same width as a standard balcony.

032105.jpg

This photo shows how much further they extend, versus the other balconies.

People on decks above the lifeboats and also above the extended balconies don't seem to get a clear view down to the water or to the edges of the interior of the Panama Canal locks, according to what the pictures show, but maybe there are some hidden gems that look straight down from balconies.

If there are some on the sides (not the top suites!) that look straight down, with nothing in the way (of picture-taking) which ones are they?

Most ships (cruise types included) have the hull as the outermost item on it; helps minimize accidentally hitting things when close to objects such as piers, channels, locks, etc. On Marina, a couple of the extended deck rooms (like 7108/7111) could have a better straight-down view (or straight ahead and down), but for the most part, the "lean out and look down" views are at various points under the lifeboats and a few other spots on the lowest public deck.

The cruise line would also probably not be inclined to encourage leaning out (brings to mind the image of your partner holding onto your belt so you can take that picture of a lifetime...).

Generally, with rare exception, not much interesting is happening right along the waterline where metal meets liquid, unless your belt breaks and you happen to get there yourself...now, if you still want to see something, the view at the stern is actually pretty cool. With the square derriere of the Marina, you can have the added bonus of vertigo if you look straight down and lose your reference points...(also not encouraged because of the usual outcomes of a loss of orientation, including canceling your dinner reservations at Privee due to nausea & walking as though you had spun in circles during aerobics). OK, I'll stop now...just having fun having more posts than Stan and Jim for awhile.

Bob H

• 2 years later...

We have taken many cruises, but always on larger ships where motion wasn't much of an issue. We are booked on the Marina, and I was wondering, if you would feel much motion being in cabin 7123. I love the size of the balcony, and am thinking of switching to this cabin. Any input would be appreciated.

Anne

I realize this is an old, resurrected thread but I'll chime in.

The problem with the question is: how to you compare cruises where there is a lot of motion with those where there isn't?

On the recent BCN-Rio cruise we were at the back end of the ship in 11080. You couldn't be further aft than we were. And we were four decks above the cabin you're asking about.

There was some rough-ish motion the first couple of nights. (The big problem was that it would go sideways and then front-back. My husband never gets seasick but the alternating motion bothered him. Whereas I really didn't have a problem.)

But everyone on the ship seemed to feel it. Beyond those first couple of nights, it was fine.

I'm usually sensitive to motion and I had no problems on the whole cruise. Knock on wood that happens the next time!

But that doesn't mean you'll be happy! None of us can guarantee that.

Maybe the next question is: what is your itinerary? Some routes are more difficult in this respect.

Mura

Mura - Thank you for your input. I do realize every cruise/every ship is different. We are doing a western mediterranean itinerary (Rome - BCN) in early October. We've done 11 cruises, to date, I have not had motion sickness, but I tend to book a cabin close to the center of the ship. The larger balcony, is the reason I'm considering moving further back.

Anne

Anne,

Speaking as someone who's often had a problem at least sometime during a cruise (obviously, some have been worse than others) I personally haven't had a problem being very aft on a ship. I mean, not noticeably more than when we were midships. I know others will disagree, but that is my experience.

It's very hard to compare sensitivities such as this one, however! I certainly wouldn't want you to go on my word and then have a bad experience ...

Mura

We had the above cabins on Riviera in November December.

7128 was fabulous. Nice deep balcony - great walk in closet. Room very spacious.

7131 we had for the 2nd of back to back. We actually had 7130 booked but the people who had 7131 were in 7130 for the 1st of b2b. We took their 7131 so they did not have to move.

7131 had a fabulous balcony. During the cabin crawl we had 25 people out there at a time. The cabin was about 18 inches narrower at the foo of the bed. You could not use the dressing table and table at the bed at the same time.

The closet is also configured differently. The clothes rod was about 18 inches and to both the left and right of the door versus the entire width of the closet. There were the useless shoe holders and 1 less set of drawers.

We would not take 7130/7131 again unless we were on a summer cruise where we could sit out for a length of time. The space trade off for us with a wet wintery itinerary was not worth it to us. For summer/warm climates - absolutely would take it.

Your recollections are amazingly vivid, Kathy and are sure to be very helpful to anyone interested in booking one of these Suites.

Unfortunately, your Room Numbers appear to be a little skewed, or else you are a VERY generous person.

7131 isn't a Penthouse Suite.

112617.jpg

I suspect that the cabin which you describe as 7131 is really 7135.

Your recollections are amazingly vivid, Kathy and are sure to be very helpful to anyone interested in booking one of these Suites.

Unfortunately, your Room Numbers appear to be a little skewed, or else you are a VERY generous person.

7131 isn't a Penthouse Suite.

112617.jpg

I suspect that the cabin which you describe as 7131 is really 7135.

Yes, you are right. I made that mistake a couple times on board also!

Cookie, I organized a Cabin Crawl on board the Marina once and one of our CC members had that room. They were gracious enough to show their cabin.

It's a little smaller than the PHs but in the same class. I guess the larger balcony makes up for the smaller stateroom. The bath is the same as a PH, but there is no walk-in closet. The closet is still adequate, with lots of storage but not walk-in. And the rest of the cabin is a little smaller as well, so there is a trade off. The balcony is fabulous!

Hope this helps!

Jan

We were in 7121 and YES, the balcony is much larger. Same width, but about 6' longer. One of our CC members booked 7123 and we opened the door between the 2 balconies and had CC parties out there. So much fun! However our friends in 7123 had trouble with the toilet the entire cruise. That was last year, so I'm sure they've gotten it fixed by now!

I have a picture of this but don't know how to attach a pic on here. I tried to click on Insert Image but it asks for a URL. My picture is downloaded on my Pictures. If you want the pic, you can email me and I'll send it to you.

janelleguichard [at sign] gmail [dot] com.

We were in 7121 and YES, the balcony is much larger. Same width, but about 6' longer. One of our CC members booked 7123 and we opened the door between the 2 balconies and had CC parties out there. So much fun! However our friends in 7123 had trouble with the toilet the entire cruise. That was last year, so I'm sure they've gotten it fixed by now!

I have a picture of this but don't know how to attach a pic on here. I tried to click on Insert Image but it asks for a URL. My picture is downloaded on my Pictures. If you want the pic, you can email me and I'll send it to you.

janelleguichard [at sign] gmail [dot] com.

162417.jpg

To be more specific, the extended verandas of the Cabins aft on Deck 7 of the Marina & Riviera (7108 through 7133, inclusive), are the same width as the standard verandas of each class of cabin, they differ in that the depth of the veranda -from the outside door to the veranda railing- is greater, by about six feet.

005943.jpg The Two Penthouse Suites at the very back of the ship (7133 and 7135) are another matter entirely. Each of those Suites has a huge L shaped veranda which is exceeded in size only by those of the Owners Suites.